Sask. world champion powwow dancer to perform, represent Canada at Super Bowl

Hellbilly

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 2016
Aniyuawiya
A champion men’s fancy powwow dancer from northern Saskatchewan will be performing on a larger stage at this year’s Super Bowl LVII in Arizona. Patrick Mitsuing from the Makwa Sahgaiehcan First Nation, will be representing Canada’s Indigenous culture with his performances leading up to and during the Super Bowl on Sunday.

According to a release, Mitsuing will be part of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity as the National Football League’s decision to recognize the Indigenous land on which the games take place on, for the first time in 56 Super Bowls.
Patrick-Mitsuing-1-e1676063542725.jpg

It's a start.

Indigenous lands??
What a crock.
The land belongs to whoever resides in it. Currently.
Who would you give the lands to? How would you know?
Any given area in North America had several tribes residing on those lands over time.
Which tribe would you give it to? The largest ones that eventually consumed the smaller ones?
Indian tribes fought each other all the time. Raped each others women, stole from each other, murdered each other generations before a single white person sat one toe on this continent.
They were people who use to live here. They don't anymore.
End of story.

Doesnt look authentic..all that purple ....come on man

I've been to a lot of powwow and often thought the same thing. I've learned a lot about Native decorative arts and done a lot of Native beadwork, and I really prefer the old school colors as well.

Good to know you'll have no problem with this when it happens again.
I'll be long gone. And can only hope my decedents live a good life with whatever that is.
It is the world. And history is just that - history. Interesting, something to learn from, but you can never go back. And shouldn't.
The life of the vast majority of North American Indians was anything but ideal. The romantic version is a complete farce. The decedents of those tribes who joined the new world are living better now than their ancestors could have ever hoped for.

Forum List

Back