Sandy relief bill does not get voted on

Current tempeture in New York City is 23F. Today's high will be 33 F. But it will be a cold day in Hell before Boehner brings a Sandy relief bill to a vote.

Here you go:
Weather Forecast Hell, MI | Hell Weather | Wunderground
Now if the bill was only Pork Free

The issue with the 'pork' is that King said they did everything the republican leadership asked of them preparing the bill. Every district filled out and filed paperwork. King said if the republican had issue with a single penny of the bill let him know what it was and they can work on it but Boehner just walked out. I hate sports analogies but it is like having have baseball game all set up, everyone in uniform, everyone in position, grass cut to specification, and the guy who was suppose to bring the ball didn't show. Both teams admit they might have lost but the game was never played. That is a slap to the players and it is a slap to the fans.

How things stand at the moment.

House adjourns with no Sandy vote - The Hill's Floor Action
Technically, there is some small chance the House could act on a Sandy bill Thursday just before the new Congress is sworn in, or possibly if the House were to return today. But that seemed highly unlikely as of midday on Wednesday.

The House returns at 11 a.m. Thursday, and the new Congress takes control at noon.

I saw that this passed the Senate the other day. Apparently it had not passed the house and the house will not vote on it. I just heard several bills be approved that were nowhere where not near as important as this bill is.

Why is a property owner's decision to not purchase adequate insurance a problem for other taxpayers?

What the fuck are the states going to do with $60Billion? You can build 250,000 new homes with that!

It's Blue State payback for electing Obama, nothing more

What the fuck are the states going to do with $60Billion? You can build 250,000 new homes with that!

It's Blue State payback for electing Obama, nothing more

You're something else.

Did you get at all involved in helping out?

I did..and I also drive through New Jersey.

There are some pretty messed up areas in both states.

I saw that this passed the Senate the other day. Apparently it had not passed the house and the house will not vote on it. I just heard several bills be approved that were nowhere where not near as important as this bill is.

Why is a property owner's decision to not purchase adequate insurance a problem for other taxpayers?

Bet you folks were saying the same thing about Florida and Mississippi, right?

You bet. Why should the taxpayers be on the hook for every disaster that occurs in America?? What a load of bullshit. Let them repair their own damages.

I live down here in Florida and have been through many hurricanes. I have never taken a dime from the Fed for any damage to any of the property. If it was damaged. I had it fixed.

Hell Sandy was a tropical depression. Glad it wasn't a cat 4 or 5 hurricane because they would be demanding that the taxpayers rebuild the whole of the NE.

Have no sympathy for any of em. Let them pay for their own rebuilds.

You bet I was and I live in Florida.

Its the price you pay for living in a hurricane zone. If you can't rebuild or fix then you need to move your ass.

Yep. I would never advocate stealing from some people because others failed to protect their property. A lack of proper planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

The issue with the 'pork' is that King said they did everything the republican leadership asked of them preparing the bill. Every district filled out and filed paperwork. King said if the republican had issue with a single penny of the bill let him know what it was and they can work on it but Boehner just walked out. I hate sports analogies but it is like having have baseball game all set up, everyone in uniform, everyone in position, grass cut to specification, and the guy who was suppose to bring the ball didn't show. Both teams admit they might have lost but the game was never played. That is a slap to the players and it is a slap to the fans.

But it would have been so much easier and more than likely would have been approved sooner if the bill went to the floor without the pork in it in the first place.

You bet. Why should the taxpayers be on the hook for every disaster that occurs in America?? What a load of bullshit. Let them repair their own damages.

I live down here in Florida and have been through many hurricanes. I have never taken a dime from the Fed for any damage to any of the property. If it was damaged. I had it fixed.

Hell Sandy was a tropical depression. Glad it wasn't a cat 4 or 5 hurricane because they would be demanding that the taxpayers rebuild the whole of the NE.

FEMA is a federal agency. New York has had 70 emergencies declared. Florida 134. Don't mind if we pull FEMA out of Florida, do you?

Disaster Declarations by State | FEMA.gov
State Major Disaster Declarations Emergency Declarations Fire Management Assistance Declarations (Prior to 2003: Fire Suppression Authorizations) Total
Alabama 57 11 9 77
Alaska 38 0 15 53
American Samoa 11 0 0 11
Arizona 23 3 46 72
Arkansas 53 9 0 62
California 78 8 125 211
Colorado 17 4 57 78
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands 14 0 0 14
Connecticut 18 10 0 28
Delaware 15 5 0 20
District of Columbia 2 1 0 3
District of Columbia (DC) 11 5 0 16
Federated States of Micronesia 24 2 0 26
Florida 65 12 57 134
Georgia 36 7 10 53
Guam 12 0 1 13
Hawaii 26 1 18 45
Idaho 23 2 8 33
Illinois 51 7 0 58
Indiana 40 7 0 47
Iowa 48 4 0 52
Kansas 48 4 2 54
Kentucky 56 4 6 66
Louisiana 59 10 1 70
Maine 39 14 2 55
Maryland 24 5 0 29
Massachusetts 28 16 1 45
Michigan 25 7 1 33
Minnesota 49 5 9 63
Mississippi 51 12 0 63
Missouri 53 8 1 62
Montana 21 2 39 62
Nebraska 47 3 5 55
Nevada 17 4 53 74
New Hampshire 30 13 0 43
New Jersey 35 12 2 49
New Mexico 25 4 47 76
New York 66 22 2 90
North Carolina 40 9 3 52
North Dakota 42 8 0 50
Ohio 46 7 0 53
Oklahoma 72 10 85 167
Oregon 28 2 49 79
Palau 1 0 0 1
Pennsylvania 47 8 0 55
Puerto Rico 26 6 0 32
Republic of the Marshall Islands 7 0 0 7
Rhode Island 10 10 0 20
South Carolina 15 3 3 21
South Dakota 39 2 21 62
Tennessee 51 3 6 60
Texas 86 12 234 332
Utah 11 3 17 31
Vermont 34 3 0 37
Virgin Islands 17 4 0 21
Virginia 47 7 7 61
Washington 46 4 62 112
West Virginia 50 7 2 59
Wisconsin 36 7 1 44
Wyoming 9 2 15 26

FEMA is a federal agency. New York has had 70 emergencies declared. Florida 134. Don't mind if we pull FEMA out of Florida, do you?

Disaster Declarations by State | FEMA.gov
State Major Disaster Declarations Emergency Declarations Fire Management Assistance Declarations (Prior to 2003: Fire Suppression Authorizations) Total
Alabama 57 11 9 77
Alaska 38 0 15 53
American Samoa 11 0 0 11
Arizona 23 3 46 72
Arkansas 53 9 0 62
California 78 8 125 211
Colorado 17 4 57 78
Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands 14 0 0 14
Connecticut 18 10 0 28
Delaware 15 5 0 20
District of Columbia 2 1 0 3
District of Columbia (DC) 11 5 0 16
Federated States of Micronesia 24 2 0 26
Florida 65 12 57 134
Georgia 36 7 10 53
Guam 12 0 1 13
Hawaii 26 1 18 45
Idaho 23 2 8 33
Illinois 51 7 0 58
Indiana 40 7 0 47
Iowa 48 4 0 52
Kansas 48 4 2 54
Kentucky 56 4 6 66
Louisiana 59 10 1 70
Maine 39 14 2 55
Maryland 24 5 0 29
Massachusetts 28 16 1 45
Michigan 25 7 1 33
Minnesota 49 5 9 63
Mississippi 51 12 0 63
Missouri 53 8 1 62
Montana 21 2 39 62
Nebraska 47 3 5 55
Nevada 17 4 53 74
New Hampshire 30 13 0 43
New Jersey 35 12 2 49
New Mexico 25 4 47 76
New York 66 22 2 90
North Carolina 40 9 3 52
North Dakota 42 8 0 50
Ohio 46 7 0 53
Oklahoma 72 10 85 167
Oregon 28 2 49 79
Palau 1 0 0 1
Pennsylvania 47 8 0 55
Puerto Rico 26 6 0 32
Republic of the Marshall Islands 7 0 0 7
Rhode Island 10 10 0 20
South Carolina 15 3 3 21
South Dakota 39 2 21 62
Tennessee 51 3 6 60
Texas 86 12 234 332
Utah 11 3 17 31
Vermont 34 3 0 37
Virgin Islands 17 4 0 21
Virginia 47 7 7 61
Washington 46 4 62 112
West Virginia 50 7 2 59
Wisconsin 36 7 1 44
Wyoming 9 2 15 26

Nope. You can shove FEMA up your ass if you want to.

No way should the taxpayers be on the hook for damages done during a natural disaster. If you don't have adequate insurance then tough shit.

no, but you were.

The should have/could have is all well and good but the need is immediate, has been for two months. You think we should have mandatory home insurance that covers all possible disasters. Very well. Also you seem to believe that you live outside of the federal government's influence. Do you go to the grocery store or grow all your own food in the back yard? Would you be in favor of doing away with the FDA also?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahljacobs/2011/08/23/does-your-insurance-cover-earthquake-damage/no, but you were.

edit - I completely messed up the html on this so post again with a fixed version.

But once the dust settles, what if you find wreckage at home? Some damage may be immediately apparent — such as shattered glass or pictures that have fallen off the wall. More profound problems, like broken pipes, cracks in the walls or in your foundation, may not yet be apparent. Whether this was your first quake or you’re an old hand, you’ll want to check your homeowner’s policy.

Don’t get your hopes up. Chances are it doesn’t cover much, says Diane Giles, a broker with Marsh in New York catering to high net worth clients. But as with so many legal issues, everything depends on what the contract says.

As you take stock of what’s happened, here’s what to look for in the fine print.

What’s covered?

Dwelling. That’s insurance lingo for the structure of your house. Not surprisingly, earth movement is one of the few excluded perils under the standard policy. Unless you live in an earthquake zone, you probably opted not to buy extra coverage for this risk — either in a separate policy or as an endorsement to your homeowner’s policy. On the East Coast it can add between 10% and 25% to the price of the policy, says Giles. On the West Coast the up charge could double your premiums.

Last edited:

no, but you were.

The should have/could have is all well and good but the need is immediate, has been for two months. You think we should have mandatory home insurance that covers all possible disasters. Very well. Also you seem to believe that you live outside of the federal government's influence. Do you go to the grocery store or grow all your own food in the back yard? Would you be in favor of doing away with the FDA also?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahl...uake-damage/no, but you were.
But once the dust settles, what if you find wreckage at home? Some damage may be immediately apparent — such as shattered glass or pictures that have fallen off the wall. More profound problems, like broken pipes, cracks in the walls or in your foundation, may not yet be apparent. Whether this was your first quake or you’re an old hand, you’ll want to check your homeowner’s policy.

Don’t get your hopes up. Chances are it doesn’t cover much, says Diane Giles, a broker with Marsh in New York catering to high net worth clients. But as with so many legal issues, everything depends on what the contract says.

As you take stock of what’s happened, here’s what to look for in the fine print.

What’s covered?

Dwelling. That’s insurance lingo for the structure of your house. Not surprisingly, earth movement is one of the few excluded perils under the standard policy. Unless you live in an earthquake zone, you probably opted not to buy extra coverage for this risk — either in a separate policy or as an endorsement to your homeowner’s policy. On the East Coast it can add between 10% and 25% to the price of the policy, says Giles. On the West Coast the up charge could double your premiums.

Forum List

Back