Sanders just submitted college for all bill.

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Penelope, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,661

Not much of an answer.

2. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,583
    First, research has shown over and over that young people are far more likely to attend college if one or both parents did. College graduates also make much more money than people with only a high school diploma, allowing them to fund college for their kids in the future. This is not a MIGHT, is it is a FACT.
    Second, since when, except for awhile in New York City and California, did we ever offer free college to all? How can you refer to it working so well in the past if it's not been done?
    And no, I wouldn't make drop-outs pay it back. No education is ever really wasted, even if they didn't get a degree's worth. The reason there is more of a demand for college education is that our kids are not receiving a good education in high school anymore. But that's a different thread. Honestly, I'd rather see a focus on improving high school education and figuring out what's gone wrong there than dumping huge amounts into funding college for all. I teach drop outs and people stuck in that remedial courses group. It's just plain sickening how little you can know and still graduate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,125
    If common sense doesn't work for you, I can't help you. People who are personally on the hook for hundreds of thousands of dollars for a college degree don't waste their time hanging around in mobs for days on end, whinging about "microaggressions". Likewise for people who've worked to earn scholarships and need to maintain a GPA to hold onto it.

Furthermore, anyone who thinks mobbing the administration and posturing for the media is a productive use of their college time clearly doesn't have a mindset that lends itself to being a hardworking, productive member of society. Maybe they'll grow out of it, more likely they won't (given the evidence that our society in general is becoming a dumbed-down bunch of slackers). I personally don't wish to bet my tax money on them doing so, particularly when we always return to the fact that THESE PEOPLE ARE NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY.

4. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,125
    No, I don't. YOU have to try a little harder to stick to the fucking topic.

5. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,661

You gave a guarantee. Were you lying about that?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,661

That's why you keep getting confused.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Conservative65

Conservative65 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,767
    More people my age finished college than their parents. That's a fact. Since people my age are the ones now whose kids attend college, my daughter being on that list, why the push for someone other than the parents to pay for it. If so many more go to college and you claim that means they have the ability to pay for it, shouldn't what you say already be happening?

So you support a program designed to allow people make more money yet don't hold them accountable to pay it back if they don't succeed in doing the thing you say is necessary to prevent the inability to improve themselves financially. So much for selling your idea of an investment. Why should I invent in something that if it fails it's lost money?

8. OldLady

OldLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,583
    How are they supposed to pay it back trying to survive on a minimum wage job? Have you tried that lately?
    And you know as well as I do that although "more" people have graduated from college than in your parents' day, it certainly isn't all that could have or should have or would have, if they could have afforded it.
    Good talk; I've said all my brain can summon on the subject at the moment.

9. Conservative65

Conservative65 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,767
    Not my problem. You don't seem to care that those of us responsible enough to pay for our own kids have to pay more because someone else's parents won't do what we do.

I graduated 3x, two of which are advanced degrees, in order that I didn't have to work a low skilled job. That I did doesn't mean, by default, it's my responsibility to do for a kid what his/her own parents won't do.

If you say more could have or would have, provide the verifiable, valid, and reliable statistics. Until you can, nothing you say is anything more than a bleeding heart thinking someone that doesn't have something should have it handed to him/her simply because they want it.

10. Unkotare

Unkotare Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,661

Well?