Sanders just submitted college for all bill.

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Summary of Sen. Sanders’ College for All Act

Eliminate Undergraduate Tuition at 4-year Public Colleges and Universities. This legislation

would provide $47 billion per year to states to eliminate undergraduate tuition and fees at public

colleges and universities.

Today, total tuition at public colleges and universities amounts to about $70 billion per year. Under

the College for All Act, the federal government would cover 67% of this cost, while the states would

be responsible for the remaining 33% of the cost. (then above it says states get 47 billion a year, so why not have the fed gov to pay the cost)

To qualify for federal funding, states must meet a number of requirements designed to protect

students, ensure quality, and reduce ballooning costs. States will need to maintain spending on their

higher education systems, on academic instruction, and on need-based financial aid. In addition,

colleges and universities must reduce their reliance on low-paid adjunct faculty.

States would be able to use funding to increase academic opportunities for students, hire new faculty,

and provide professional development opportunities for professors.

No funding under this program may be used to fund administrator salaries, merit-based fina

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/collegeforallsummary/?inline=filencial aid,

For one thing I do not think colleges should keep raising rates as they are, needs to be a ban placed on the costs, so much of the classroom is done via Skype and well at home on personal computers. I do not believe in tenure either.

also anything free, is well taken for granted.

also a lot of our property tax goes to public schools, the two year college we have and also the 4 year university we have in our county, mileage increases.

Most can't afford higher property taxes, sales tax hikes or state income tax raises, so this is going to affect everyone is it not?

When I went to college, awhile ago, the special interest rate was 9,9% interest on student loans. I'm don't want to go back to that, and I do think college should be affordable to all, but not on the tax payers back.

I'm not understanding this I guess.

Summary of Sen. Sanders’ College for All Act

Eliminate Undergraduate Tuition at 4-year Public Colleges and Universities. This legislation

would provide $47 billion per year to states to eliminate undergraduate tuition and fees at public

colleges and universities.

Today, total tuition at public colleges and universities amounts to about $70 billion per year. Under

the College for All Act, the federal government would cover 67% of this cost, while the states would

be responsible for the remaining 33% of the cost. (then above it says states get 47 billion a year, so why not have the fed gov to pay the cost)

To qualify for federal funding, states must meet a number of requirements designed to protect

students, ensure quality, and reduce ballooning costs. States will need to maintain spending on their

higher education systems, on academic instruction, and on need-based financial aid. In addition,

colleges and universities must reduce their reliance on low-paid adjunct faculty.

States would be able to use funding to increase academic opportunities for students, hire new faculty,

and provide professional development opportunities for professors.

No funding under this program may be used to fund administrator salaries, merit-based fina

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/collegeforallsummary/?inline=filencial aid,

For one thing I do not think colleges should keep raising rates as they are, needs to be a ban placed on the costs, so much of the classroom is done via Skype and well at home on personal computers. I do not believe in tenure either.

also anything free, is well taken for granted.

also a lot of our property tax goes to public schools, the two year college we have and also the 4 year university we have in our county, mileage increases.

Most can't afford higher property taxes, sales tax hikes or state income tax raises, so this is going to affect everyone is it not?

When I went to college, awhile ago, the special interest rate was 9,9% interest on student loans. I'm don't want to go back to that, and I do think college should be affordable to all, but not on the tax payers back.

I'm not understanding this I guess.

How do you propose making college affordable for all? The only proposals I seem to hear form the left involves doing so by making someone else pay for what parents aren't doing.

Apparently some people see the word "tax" and their brains shut down.

Here's a one-page summary of the proposal:

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/collegeforallsummary/?inline=file

Let me quote the only part that's apparently of concern (no one here has college-age kids?):

Fully Paid for by Imposing a Robin Hood Tax on Wall Street.
This legislation is offset by imposing a Wall Street speculation fee on investment houses, hedge fund
s, and other speculators of 0.5% on stock trades (50 cents for every $100 worth of stock), a 0.1% fee
on bonds, and a 0.005% fee on derivatives. It has been estimated that this provision could
raise hundreds of billions a year which could be used not only to make tuition free at public colleges
and universities in this country, it could also be used to create millions of jobs and rebuild the
middle class of this country.

I'll be happy to break it down further if anyone's interested but, bottom line, unless you're a hedge fund manager (and a bad one), you've got nothing to worry about.

Apparently some states are going to depend on lottery money, gambling, I'm not, free anything is not appreciated, esp. Times have changed, we use to have part time jobs to help us get through college, which some rich kids just partied their 4 years away. I have read that only a portion of our lotto money for schools is going towards schools, which was suppose to all go towards schools, but we have a full time government, why I do not know.

On Tuesday, Tennessee lawmakers passed a bill that will make tuition free for all high school graduates who go to a two-year college. It now heads to Gov. Bill Haslam (R)’s desk, who has made it a signature part of his campaign to improve the state’s graduation rates from 32 percent to 55 percent by 2025.

Beyond graduating from high school, students who participate in the Tennessee Promise program will have to maintain a 2.0 grade point average, attend mandatory meetings, work with a mentor, and do community service. After they graduate two-year colleges, they can enroll in a four-year school as juniors.

The program, which is expected to cost about $34 million a year, will be paid for using $300 million in excess lottery reserve funds and by creating a $47 million endowment. The bill also lowers the state’s current scholarship for four-year colleges, which is funded with lottery money, from $4,000 to $3,500 for freshmen and sophomores, although it will increase to $4,500 for juniors and seniors.

Tennessee will be the first state to offer free college tuition, although Florida, Mississippi, and Oregon are considering similar plans. Others have looked at so-called “pay it forward” plans that allow students to attend community colleges or public universities at no cost but require them to pay a certain portion of their income after graduation — one model would have community college students pay 1.5 percent of their incomes for 20 years after graduation.

But the federal government could go even further than any of these states. For the amount that it already spends on subsidizing the cost of college through grants, tax breaks, and work-study funds — or about $69 billion — it could instead make tuition at all public colleges free for about $63 billion. (The government spends another $107.4 billion on student loans, given it even more funds to use for this purpose.) While not everyone would attend a public university, it would incentivize private ones to lower costs in order to compete with the free option.

This State Will Offer Free College Tuition To High School Graduates

^Good on Tennessee! Only for two-year colleges (the Sanders proposal is for four-year state colleges), but it's a start. :)

Apparently some people see the word "tax" and their brains shut down.

Here's a one-page summary of the proposal:

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/download/collegeforallsummary/?inline=file

Let me quote the only part that's apparently of concern (no one here has college-age kids?):

Fully Paid for by Imposing a Robin Hood Tax on Wall Street.
This legislation is offset by imposing a Wall Street speculation fee on investment houses, hedge fund
s, and other speculators of 0.5% on stock trades (50 cents for every $100 worth of stock), a 0.1% fee
on bonds, and a 0.005% fee on derivatives. It has been estimated that this provision could
raise hundreds of billions a year which could be used not only to make tuition free at public colleges
and universities in this country, it could also be used to create millions of jobs and rebuild the
middle class of this country.

I'll be happy to break it down further if anyone's interested but, bottom line, unless you're a hedge fund manager (and a bad one), you've got nothing to worry about.

Yes that if his presidential plan, the other one I listed is an act he just put in. Your going to need a full Dem congress to get the above approved. I do think its not a bad idea to put a little gov tax on stocks.

^Good on Tennessee! Only for two-year colleges (the Sanders proposal is for four-year state colleges), but it's a start. :)

Ca use to , not sure if they do anymore. I think not due to money shortage.

So states get stuck with another Fed mandate they dont have in their budget great plan.......and just another item to keep the printing press running devaluing your money further

So states get stuck with another Fed mandate they dont have in their budget great plan.......and just another item to keep the printing press running devaluing your money further

It looks like that, everyone is going to pay, even the 70 year old couple living next door when they themselves put their children through college. They should be exempt from increases , if they live below a certain wage, because they don't have lots of savings due to the fact they helped put their kids through college.

and of course Feds attach stipulations which will balloon into toal Fed control and advancement of lib agendas.......all bs all the time...not really about education its about power

and of course Feds attach stipulations which will balloon into toal Fed control and advancement of lib agendas.......all bs all the time...not really about education its about power

Not to mention spelling and punctuation.

Your Congresscritters would of course be totally powerless to affect the outcomes here. Maybe you need some new Congresscritters.

Not to mention spelling and punctuation.

Your Congresscritters would of course be totally powerless to affect the outcomes here. Maybe you need some new Congresscritters.
My Sen's would be all for it since they are dems and its about extending dem power .....not education

My Sen's would be all for it since they are dems...

What about your representatives?

Alternatively, your state legislature could get out ahead of this like Tennessee and show it wants its students to be competitive with those in other countries.

A lot of people talk about "states' rights," but there doesn't seem to be much talk about "states' responsibilities."

I live in a blue state...they sheeple what ever the FEDs want...,,,true states rights involves the Feds respecting states and not trying to blackmail them into every hairbrained idea

I live in a blue state...they sheeple what ever the FEDs want...,,,true states rights involves the Feds respecting states and not trying to blackmail them into every hairbrained idea

So education is a "hare-brained idea"? I see.

file.php

Don't you all love that. How easy is it for these SNAKES to give away things like free college for all when it's NOT their money paying for it.

here's the kicker from the snake:the College for All Act, the federal government would cover 67% of this cost, while the states would

what he means is. YOU THE TAXPAYER and (your families would go with LESS because of it) would be Responsible

that old coot has been in Congress sucking a living off us taxpayers for how many gawddam years and he NOW decides to present some bill that will suck the life out of us Taxpayers and their families. just for the VOTES

wake up people

Forum List

Back