Salon Slams National Anthem as ‘Neo-Confederate Symbol’

It's almost like THE LEFT, and this makes me sad to say this....but it is almost like THE LEFT is in the early development stages of creating a movement like ISIS

It's almost like THE LEFT, and this makes me sad to say this....but it is almost like THE LEFT is in the early development stages of creating a movement like ISIS
Which is still better than what you create with your movements...I don't see a religious base with a political and religious motive to their attacks..

Which is still better than what you create with your movements...I don't see a religious base with a political and religious motive to their attacks..
Does the Left have their own moral code?
That is a religion.

Atheism is a Religion without a God. So is Secular Humanism. You do not need God to have a religion or participate in one.

The Left has their own set of beliefs and a brand of morality that a group of people live by.

If you are convicted in those beliefs that you believe in them enough to fight for them, even to the point of violence and mandating your values on others then that classifies as a religion and those engaging in that qualify as fanatics.

Their idiot ideology is their religion.

hardly so, it is not a religion more so than a doctrine of political beliefs..A little whacko like Black Lives Matters, but no religion or cultist status..

Memorial Day and singing "The Star-Spangled Banner" are uncontroversial patriotic gestures, yet there is no disputing that neo-Confederates developed these rituals.

Yet it was still the USA and those citizens were US citizens..This article is just another unreasonable bit of writer's block bullshit we can expect from worn out writers who need a buck..

hardly so, it is not a religion more so than a doctrine of political beliefs..A little whacko like Black Lives Matters, but no religion or cultist status..

Au contraire, it is a religion substitute, just like Nazism or Communism. Like many religious systems, those who refuse to believe are considered on the road to Perdition, and must be destroyed lest they pull others from the true faith.

Au contraire, it is a religion substitute, just like Nazism or Communism. Like many religious systems, those who refuse to believe are considered on the road to Perdition, and must be destroyed lest they pull others from the true faith.
Oh you mean like the Trumpets....

They have a hang-up with the Star-Spangled Banner, because they have probably just been informed, that the Commanding Officer of Fort McHenry
was Major Armistead. His nephew was Major General Lothario Armistead,
the commanding general of one of Pickett's brigades, whose men advanced
to the Confederate High Water mark at Gettysburg.

Therefore...his Uncle was the original guardian of the Star-Spangled Banner.

Wait till they find out that 41 signers of the 56 who inked the Declaration of
Independence owned slaves. They'll be demanding that we tear that piece
of paper up also.

They have a hang-up with the Star-Spangled Banner, because they have probably just been informed, that the Commanding Officer of Fort McHenry
was Major Armistead. His nephew was Major General Lothario Armistead,
the commanding general of one of Pickett's brigades, whose men advanced
to the Confederate High Water mark at Gettysburg.

Therefore...his Uncle was the original guardian of the Star-Spangled Banner.

Wait till they find out that 41 signers of the 56 who inked the Declaration of
Independence owned slaves. They'll be demanding that we tear that piece
of paper up also.

They are demanding it regardless, and have been for years.

And then the late great former mayor of DC Marion Barry had his say on the subject...

Marion Barry Quotes

• “I read a funny story about how the Republicans freed the slaves.The Republicans are the ones who created slavery by law in the 1600s. Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves and he was not a Republican.”

I understand that some white people fall into one of two groups:
1: Willful ignorance of the racist origins of many American institutions and traditions.
2: The attempt to minimize the racist history of America and although distasteful, to argue from a point of historical accuracy.

In fact, the anthem has a very racist and ominous continuation and underlying motivation for it's lyrics.
If you in fact want to argue the facts, first know the facts...

To understand the full “Star-Spangled Banner” story, you have to understand the author. Key was an aristocrat and city prosecutor in Washington, D.C. He was, like most enlightened men at the time, not against slavery; he just thought that since blacks were mentally inferior, masters should treat them with more Christian kindness. He supported sending free blacks (not slaves) back to Africa and, with a few exceptions, was about as pro-slavery, anti-black and anti-abolitionist as you could get at the time.

Of particular note was Key’s opposition to the idea of the Colonial Marines. The Marines were a battalion of runaway slaves who joined with the British Royal Army in exchange for their freedom. The Marines were not only a terrifying example of what slaves would do if given the chance, but also a repudiation of the white superiority that men like Key were so invested in.

All of these ideas and concepts came together around Aug. 24, 1815, at the Battle of Bladensburg, where Key, who was serving as a lieutenant at the time, ran into a battalion of Colonial Marines. His troops were taken to the woodshed by the very black folks he disdained, and he fled back to his home in Georgetown to lick his wounds. The British troops, emboldened by their victory in Bladensburg, then marched into Washington, D.C., burning the Library of Congress, the Capitol Building and the White House. You can imagine that Key was very much in his feelings seeing black soldiers trampling on the city he so desperately loved.

A few weeks later, in September of 1815, far from being a captive, Key was on a British boat begging for the release of one of his friends, a doctor named William Beanes. Key was on the boat waiting to see if the British would release his friend when he observed the bloody battle of Fort McHenry in Baltimore on Sept. 13, 1815. America lost the battle but managed to inflict heavy casualties on the British in the process. This inspired Key to write “The Star-Spangled Banner” right then and there, but no one remembers that he wrote a full third stanza decrying the former slaves who were now working for the British army:

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a Country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash’d out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

In other words, Key was saying that the blood of all the former slaves and “hirelings” on the battlefield will wash away the pollution of the British invaders. With Key still bitter that some black soldiers got the best of him a few weeks earlier, “The Star-Spangled Banner” is as much a patriotic song as it is a diss track to black people who had the audacity to fight for their freedom. Perhaps that’s why it took almost 100 years for the song to become the national anthem.

What So Proudly We Hail | DOCUMENTARY

Forum List

Back