safe haven laws

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by strollingbones, Nov 12, 2008.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,858
    what do you think of safe haven laws? it is the law that allows one to drop off kids without fear as long as you do it in a safe place. Nebraska recently passed this law and has found kids as old as 18 being dropped off. the law is aimed at infants but has resulted in parents dropping off hard to handle kids etc. i noticed in charlotte nc today...a new born infant was left in the bathroom of a macdonalds. nc has no safe haven laws.

2. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I think its great. I threaten my kids with a one way trip to Nebraska whenever they get disrespectful or complain that something's not exactly to their liking. :badgrin:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,781
    Better than abortion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Againsheila

Againsheila Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,700
    I think it's great. Nebraska has always been protective of the kids. Boy's Town was started in Nebraska (made famous by the Spencer Tracy movie) and is still there and is now open to girls as well as boys.

5. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    It's a good law. Some people don't know what else to do and the child is innocent.

6. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I fully and completely support it. When we know from sad experience that scared children will leave newborn babies and infants in toilets and trashcans...why on earth would we punish someone for having the courage and good sense to bring their child to a safe place and give it to people who are better able to care for it?!?

As far as children as old as 18? Well, I suppose bringing a child to a center is better than abusing or neglecting that child. But I think that older children being dropped off brings up a whole mess of complications and questions...

7. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I don't think you should be able to drop off your 16 year old but if they keep a new born from being dumped in a garbage can or killed by their mother then I am for them. We had a lady here in town who killed one child then four years later had twins and put both in their own box dumping them in a neighborhood one of them dying.

8. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    have you ever heard of a 17 year old child being aborted? :cuckoo:

I believe in safe haven laws for children up to a year old but beyond that IMO you should contact child services and turn them over to foster care if you're unable to take care of them any longer.

I can't even fathom the psychological damage done to these kids when their parents just unceremoniously dump them off without a word.

where are the child abandonment laws?

9. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I think PoliticalChic was referring to babies when she mentioned abortion, Silence...don't go literal to the point of ridiculousness.

As far as the older children go...I think that this nation is failing miserably with out current child and youth services...so I wouldn't encourage putting any child into that system unless it was absolutely necessary. It is overloaded, understaffed, etc. etc. It just seems that there should be, has to be, a better way to deal with children in these situations...

p.s. I wonder how many of the older kids were dropped off by parents pissed off about attitude or cell phone bills who came back a few days later to see if their kids had "learned their lessons."

10. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    I think teenagers should be forced to wear orange jumpsuits and pick up trash on the side of the road until they are 18.