safe haven laws

I listened to an interview by the Ombudsman of NPR. She said that even with proof--facts and valid research--people don't believe what is contrary to their deeply held biases.

I thought that was fascinating.
I heard that, too. I forget what it's called but I think almost 90% of the world suffers from it.

Crack Babies

Many media have reported stories of 'Crack Babies', babies born addicted to crack cocaine and lacking the will to survive. Nonetheless, evidence demonstrates that such reports are exaggerated and that a baby will recover from the addictive effects of crack cocaine within a few weeks. Babies do have withdrawal symptoms and, sometimes, are given medication to counteract the effects. A more important concern is the high incidence of birth defects related with the use of crack. If a woman consumes crack cocaine on a regular basis while she is pregnant, the baby may be born with heart and lung problems.

Crack Cocaine treatment, Crack Cocaine abuse

Crack Babies

Many media have reported stories of 'Crack Babies', babies born addicted to crack cocaine and lacking the will to survive. Nonetheless, evidence demonstrates that such reports are exaggerated and that a baby will recover from the addictive effects of crack cocaine within a few weeks. Babies do have withdrawal symptoms and, sometimes, are given medication to counteract the effects. A more important concern is the high incidence of birth defects related with the use of crack. If a woman consumes crack cocaine on a regular basis while she is pregnant, the baby may be born with heart and lung problems.

Crack Cocaine treatment, Crack Cocaine abuse

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Conclusions Among children aged 6 years or younger, there is no convincing evidence that prenatal cocaine exposure is associated with developmental toxic effects that are different in severity, scope, or kind from the sequelae of multiple other risk factors. Many findings once thought to be specific effects of in utero cocaine exposure are correlated with other factors, including prenatal exposure to tobacco, marijuana, or alcohol, and the quality of the child's environment. Further replication is required of preliminary neurologic findings.[/FONT]
JAMA -- Growth, Development, and Behavior in Early Childhood Following Prenatal Cocaine Exposure: A Systematic Review, March 28, 2001, Frank et al. 285 (12): 1613

:cool:

If the child is white and healthy, sure. If the child is black and addicted to crack, not so much.

Catzmeow, I'm not trying to be a smart ass (for once!) but what if the "crack baby" is white? Do people still want to adopt it?

I have 2 sets of friends who are white, who both adopted 2 black children. The birth parents had their set of "problems", but both families children are thriving in a loving environment with parents who love them.

I want to speak to the Safe Haven Law again, briefly.
I think I have a problem with parents who will drive hundreds of miles to dump essentially a grown kid in a different state, when as far as I know any parent can call child welfare or tell a school counselor the kid is out of control and have the kid taken off their hands.

I think most of the parents who do this with grown kids are trying to avoid culpability; i.e., they're avoiding the law because they know they've done something wrong. And anyone who would desert a kid that age in a far away state deserves to face some pretty strong charges. I think of the kids and the effect that it must have on them, at that age, to be in a car with someone driving to a strange place where they know they're just going to be dumped.

I think the parents are avoiding something, and it's not the fear that they might kill their own kid. I think they're essentially deserting their kids hoping never to be found and charged with child support, hoping never to have their lives scrutinized, hoping that abuses aren't discovered, whatever.

I want to speak to the Safe Haven Law again, briefly.
I think I have a problem with parents who will drive hundreds of miles to dump essentially a grown kid in a different state, when as far as I know any parent can call child welfare or tell a school counselor the kid is out of control and have the kid taken off their hands.

I think most of the parents who do this with grown kids are trying to avoid culpability; i.e., they're avoiding the law because they know they've done something wrong. And anyone who would desert a kid that age in a far away state deserves to face some pretty strong charges. I think of the kids and the effect that it must have on them, at that age, to be in a car with someone driving to a strange place where they know they're just going to be dumped.

I think the parents are avoiding something, and it's not the fear that they might kill their own kid. I think they're essentially deserting their kids hoping never to be found and charged with child support, hoping never to have their lives scrutinized, hoping that abuses aren't discovered, whatever.

I'm sure you could be right on some of the cases Allie.

And isn't that so heartbreaking to the child? Good thing Nebraska is changing the age on this law tomorrow, it shouldn't have ever been a no-age limit in the first place!

The mother of an 18 year-old daughter, who asked not to be named to protect the identity of her child, holds her daughter's pet cat, Patches, as she stands in her daughter's room, in Lincoln, Neb., Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2008. After a recent spate of her daughters' bad behavior, the mother said she felt like she had no other choice but to leave her daughter at a hospital, where she thought she would get help through Nebraska's safe haven law. She says she worried that if the law was changed, she would not have a way to get help for her daughter. Nebraska lawmakers meet Friday to begin tightening the state's open-ended safe-haven law.

Neb. Safe-Haven Law - Yahoo! News Photos

Bullshit.
Pick up the fucking phone and call child welfare. They'd be at your house in 10 minutes.

THese pieces of shit are hiding something, that's why they don't want to be named, that's why they want to go to a different state, that's why they hide.

I stand corrected. We aren't the first with the law, just the first with a reeeeally stupid version of it.

Girl Runs During Safe Haven Attempt - Local News Story - KETV Omaha

police are looking for a 17 yr old girl who bolted when she realized she was being dropped off at the hospital..her 14 yr old brother is in state custody.

From Miami to Michigan and from Atlanta to Arizona, with Indiana in the middle, desperate parents have seemingly rushed their unruly children to the state before lawmakers convene on Friday to change the law.

Thursday's incident marks the 24th case of a parent or guardian abandoning children under the law. The two teens are the 32nd and 33rd children to be left at Nebraska hospitals since the law took effect in July.

There should be no safe haven laws. If you want to abandon a child, both parents should at least have to pay child support to the state until the abandoned kid is adopted and no longer the responsibility of tax payers.

There should be no safe haven laws. If you want to abandon a child, both parents should at least have to pay child support to the state until the abandoned kid is adopted and no longer the responsibility of tax payers.

why should you object to safe haven laws that allow infants to be dumped rather than killed? if the laws prevent infants from being killed...and give the stupid a safe place to dump infants so be it....

why should you object to safe haven laws that allow infants to be dumped rather than killed? if the laws prevent infants from being killed...and give the stupid a safe place to dump infants so be it....

I am not objecting I am merely stating that the parents of said abandoned children should be held responsible for child support until the kid is no longer supported by tax payers

In fact, if you want to see a precipitous drop in teen pregnancy, require parental notification for abortion (not permission but notification) and require the parents who abandon a child to the care of the state to pay support.

Last edited:
i think all parents should pay child support even women who walk out on their families..i do not think making someone keep a child they do not want is the way to go

Forum List

Back