safe haven laws

Catzmeow, I'm not trying to be a smart ass (for once!) but what if the "crack baby" is white? Do people still want to adopt it?

I have 2 sets of friends who are white, who both adopted 2 black children. The birth parents had their set of "problems", but both families children are thriving in a loving environment with parents who love them.

Babies are less in demand if they have what are perceived to be chronic health issues, such as fetal exposure to substances.

Babies are less in demand if they have what are perceived to be chronic health issues, such as fetal exposure to substances.

Yes, they are less in demand, but there are still homes for them. I know a woman that adopted a 16 year old autistic child that had the intelligence of a two year old. To me, that woman is a saint.

Yes, they are less in demand, but there are still homes for them. I know a woman that adopted a 16 year old autistic child that had the intelligence of a two year old. To me, that woman is a saint.

There are homes for them, but generally speaking, there is no waiting list, and they will spend longer in the system waiting to be adopted.

There are homes for them, but generally speaking, there is no waiting list, and they will spend longer in the system waiting to be adopted.

Actually, my friends who adopted the crack baby and are fostering two more, would adopt the other two if they could. They are in the system but not up for adoption. We need to sever the parental ties much sooner so that these kids are adoptable as quickly as possible.

Actually, my friends who adopted the crack baby and are fostering two more, would adopt the other two if they could. They are in the system but not up for adoption. We need to sever the parental ties much sooner so that these kids are adoptable as quickly as possible.

unfortunately about 20 years ago the policy became keeping the family together at all costs.. putting the kids in foster care and working to rehab the parents...all that happened is it condemned kids to a lifetime of foster care because they could not be adopted.

I listened to an interview by the Ombudsman of NPR. She said that even with proof--facts and valid research--people don't believe what is contrary to their deeply held biases.

I thought that was fascinating.

And true.

why should you object to safe haven laws that allow infants to be dumped rather than killed? if the laws prevent infants from being killed...and give the stupid a safe place to dump infants so be it....

Prove somehow that they actually do that.

Everybody knows if they drop off their baby at a hospital, that child will receive care. Well, provided it isn't an Obama-sanctioned hospital where they think really tiny babies should be left out in the cold to die if their mothers don't want them.

But I digress. I don't think these "safe haven" laws really contribute to the safety of children. A mother who will drive for 2 days to reach a "safe haven" drop off isn't likely a candidate for child murder.

She may, however, be in hot water for something else.

Like I said, all you have to do is call child welfare, tell them you don't trust yourself with your kid, or you can't control it, and they'll be there in minutes. These loons who are dumping practically grown kids in Nebraska have got other issues...but the fear of killing their humongous grown kids isn't one of them. And dumbass women who flush their babies down toilets or dump them in dumsters are NOT in any way affected by these laws. A woman who on her Prom night gives birth, flushes the baby and finishes the night at the dance isn't going to tell her friends, "Hey, can we swing by the hospital for a minute so I can deposit my baby before we hit the Quickie Mart?"

Forum List

Back