Sadr Tells Mehdi Army to Stop Fighting

Discussion in 'Iraq' started by onedomino, Mar 30, 2008.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    It looks like Americans and British joining the battle in Basra has convinced Sadr to give up...for now. He is not stupid, and fighting the Americans and British in open combat is stupid. He is trying to preserve the Mehdi Army for a day when he can battle just other Iraqis without interference from the US and UK.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Smart, on his part.

He's not offering to turn over the Mehdi Army's weapons, or to disarm. Which is what Malaki demanded and gave them a deadline to do.

Obviously this will play out like it always does. The mehdi army will keep their weapons, will not disband, but will put on a show of cooperation to give malaki a face-saving opportunity. It's happened a thousand times before.

What al-sadr wants is political power. Not a full blown shia on shia civil war. I suspect al sadr and the militias will still, for all intents and purposes, control southern iraq. And the iraqi government in the green zone will still be relatively powerless there.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I agree with your assessment. It's a strategy I would think all of the different factions would use. Had they all done so from the start, we'd be mostly gone by now if not entirely and they could commence to beating each other up without interference.

4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,325
    But isn't that precisely the reason we're supposedly still there? Because that's what would happen if we left?

I mean, when is it time to go? When the rest of the world trusts the muslims to stay friendly? Come on, that's a pipe dream. If anything, we've been conditioned to think they'll NEVER be friendly. So when do Iraq war supporters decide it's finally time to go? I don't see any time in which it would be deemed ok to leave, given the reasons why we're staying there to begin with.

5. DeadCanDance

DeadCanDance Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127

It's a classic Catch-22

We won't give the iraqi army heavy weapons, artillery, and modern capabilities because we don't trust them. They might turn those weapons over to insurgents.

If we stop paying the sunni insurgents to stand down, they'll probably go back to attacking us.

We can't forcibly disband and disarm the shia militias and the mehdi army because they will full out revolt against the occupation.

You couldn't dream up a worse clusterfuck.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Basically, as soon as the Iraqi government can stand on its own without the US military. That's when we're supposed to leave.

Whether or not they kill each other over their little patch of sandbox after that fact is established and accepted is completely irrelevant to me.

The only feasible plan I have heard is that Iraq be divided into 3 countries. That will of course be unacceptable to some of each fact except perhaps the Kurds so the borders will have to be enforced by military. That is the only way that makes sense to me from a practical and realistic standpoint.

The "love for their fellow countrymen" approach is definitely a pipedream.

My point however, is the same I made concerning Saddam Hussein post-Gulf War I. Play along, let the inspectors do what they want, deal with it for a few years. We'd have been gone by 95-97 and he could resume his dastardly crap.

Same with these Muslim factions. Lay low, wait til we leave, THEN make your move.

In both cases, sound strategy apparently is too much to ask.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    We don't need to pay the Sunni. We don't need to try the "nice guy," negotiating strategy at all.

We have a military option available to us.

IIRC, you ARE for negotiations, right?

8. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,325
    It's a little weird to me that there are better ideas coming from average citizens, then ones coming from the people actually in CHARGE.

It's why many people speculate, myself included, that we are only hanging around as long as we are so that the crony companies who got the big contracts can continue to make a killing...pun intended.

If it wasn't for Haliburton/Cheney, and Blackwater/Prince/Bush, I might not have nearly as much skepticism regarding the decisions made by the administration regarding the occupation. That will always be a conflict of interest as far as I'm concerned.

Why should we be ok with the 2 highest people in the administration responsible for this invasion/occupation having personal connections to the companies who are profitting the most from it? Especially considering how inefficient they've been at figuring out the quickest way to be done with the job and LEAVE.

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I don't know about average citizen. I, like any Marine SNCO, am well versed in strategy and tactics. It's required Professional Military Education if you want to get promoted.

The lesson here is that political ideology and unrealistic expectations from, and views of other cultures does not win wars. Superior firepower does. If we weren't prepared to go in and subjugate Iraq THEN rebuild it, we should have stayed home.

Forget all the PC bullshit. You roll over the place and you take out the enemy and anyone who becomes an enemy and if they're shooting from a mosque, you blow it up.

When the Iraqi's get the idea that they either behave or die, most will choose the former.

Too many fundamentals to waging war were not covered. Securing the Iraq borders is one. Keeping the religious fundies that were already isolated in isolation was another. Turning the military loose another.

Letting political correctness and the holier-than-thou, unrealistic, left-wing morals they impose on our military but not themselves here at home dictate tactics and strategy another.

So, far from being some genius conspiracy, it was instead a really dumb job of waging war.

10. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I agree that the war hasn't been waged like it should have (though it's getting better), however, everytime you get into your car and drive to work (which agreed, some of us have to) you're contributing to the "oil stealing" that supposedly is going on over there. Same reason with gas prices...everyone complains about it. The only reason gas prices are so high, is because it doesn't matter what the price is, you, I, we will drive down to the quickie-mart and fill up our cars with it, then take a weekend trip. Those that think that we are over there for the oil are contributing just as much to this problem...myself included.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1