S.F. Supes Pass Happy Meal Ban with Veto-Proof Majority

Fast food giant McDonald's says it is "extremely disappointed" by a decision by San Francisco authorities to put the kibosh on Happy Meals and impose a ban on giving away toys with kids' meals that don't meet certain nutritional standards.

San Francisco's Board of Supervisors gave preliminary approval to the ordinance on Tuesday evening, with a vote of 8-to-3. If the law passes a second vote, the city would become the first in the U.S. to impose such a ban.

Under the ruling, scheduled to take effect in December 2011, San Francisco restaurants will be allowed to include a toy with a meal only if the food and drink in the meal contain fewer than 600 calories, less than 640 milligrams of sodium and if less than 35 per cent of the calories are derived from fat (less than 10 per cent from saturated fat), except for fat contained in nuts, seeds, eggs or low-fat cheese.

In addition, the meals must contain a half-cup or more of fruit and three-quarters of a cup or more of vegetables. A breakfast meal must contain at least a half-cup of fruit or vegetables.

Though McDonald's is not the only fast-food chain to offer toys with children's meals, the company has already come out swinging.

"We are extremely disappointed with this decision. It's not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for," McDonald's spokeswoman Danya Proud said in a statement Wednesday.

"Public opinion continues to be overwhelmingly against this misguided legislation. Parents tell us it's their right and responsibility, not the government's, to ... to choose what's right for their children."

CTV Calgary- McDonald's slams San Francisco Happy Meal ban - CTV News

Hey, I know...They could place a government agent, dressed in a Hamburglar outfit, at each McDonald's Playland location and make sure those kids burn off enough calories and chase him around for at least 15 minutes before they obtain government permission to have a burger! Just think of the job creation..It's a real win/win! :razz:

http://zzzlist.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/hamburglar.jpg

But the man who sponsored the measure, San Francisco Supervisor Eric Mar, says the aim of the ban is to promote healthy eating habits while combating childhood obesity.

"This is a tremendous victory for our children's health. Our children are sick. Rates of obesity in San Francisco are disturbingly high, especially among children of colour," said Mar.

I still say , had they given out condoms, sex toys, or edible undies, the City Council would have no problem at all. They'd be standing in line buying Happy Ending Meals. There's a thought.

why yes of course, while their city falls apart, time to do something breathtakingly idiotic. They have to much tome on their hands to boot.

The supes today passed an ordinance that will require meals to meet nutritional guidelines if restaurants wish to include a toy with the food purchase. More importantly, the supes passed the so-called "Happy Meal Ban" by an 8-3 vote ― meaning it can survive a promised veto from Mayor Gavin Newsom. That's right: San Francisco done banned the Happy Meal. Robble robble.

rest at-
S.F. Supes Pass Happy Meal Ban with Veto-Proof Majority - San Francisco Restaurants and Dining - SFoodie

Didn't you get the memo? Parents are unable to make these decisions anymore. They're too busy and need someone else to tell them what to do.

What a whacked-out place that is. :cuckoo:

If these "parents" were doing such a fantastic job, I doubt the child obesity rate would be slightly above 30%. These children are not to blame and why shouldn't someone look out for them, if their parents refuse to?

my rights to raise obese kids are being infringed.

the horror.

no happy meals toys and no fast food make l.k.eder a less fat fuck.

HALP!

Please, you can afford to stay home and have some broccoli and rice...Do it for the children!

why yes of course, while their city falls apart, time to do something breathtakingly idiotic. They have to much tome on their hands to boot.

The supes today passed an ordinance that will require meals to meet nutritional guidelines if restaurants wish to include a toy with the food purchase. More importantly, the supes passed the so-called "Happy Meal Ban" by an 8-3 vote ― meaning it can survive a promised veto from Mayor Gavin Newsom. That's right: San Francisco done banned the Happy Meal. Robble robble.

rest at-
S.F. Supes Pass Happy Meal Ban with Veto-Proof Majority - San Francisco Restaurants and Dining - SFoodie

Didn't you get the memo? Parents are unable to make these decisions anymore. They're too busy and need someone else to tell them what to do.

If these "parents" were doing such a fantastic job, I doubt the child obesity rate would be slightly above 30%. These children are not to blame and why shouldn't someone look out for them, if their parents refuse to?

What I would suggest is building larger schools, arranging the schedules so the kids have more time between classes, and assign them to classes alternately, on opposite sides of the building, a minimum of 2 floors apart. No use of elevators except for Disabled.

What I would suggest is building larger schools, arranging the schedules so the kids have more time between classes, and assign them to classes alternately, on opposite sides of the building, a minimum of 2 floors apart. No use of elevators except for Disabled.

Which, technically, is simply another way for our "government" to do the work that parents should be doing. Yes?

What else should we legislate..........?

Diet is largely the parent's responsibility and completely in their control, but many parents also complain that societal norms mean that sedentary behavior is quickly leaving their hands due to societal norms. All kids want to do is sit around with their friends and play video games, watch movies, or play on the Internet. Indeed, distractions run rampant.

Then come the responsibilities of the modern kid in school, where they sit around all day, and then they come home at night to do what? That's right--sit around and do their homework...

But like it or not, healthy development is still the responsibility of the parents, and if the society around your child doesn't encourage that, it's up to you to find ways to make a different life for your own child.

Challenge

Which, technically, is simply another way for our "government" to do the work that parents should be doing. Yes?

Not exactly, My son graduated Brooklyn Tech High School, God, I think it's at least 6 floors. It is a work out. ;) In NYC we also have the Subway system, which keeps you on your feet allot, it's actually good exercise. Passive control, as opposed to intervention? I'd prefer it.

it's dems party problem 101
Letting the limosine liberals set the agenda results in largest losses in 100 years.

God I love SF... used to work for a firm HQ'd on Beach Street, spent tons of time there. But good grief, what a complete and absolute bunch of fucking nitwits.

The Nanny cometh!
It shouldn't be all-that-difficult (for The Nanny) to identify the "conservative"-base....

walmart.jpg
thejuice4.jpg

Forum List

Back