Romney's Mormon Patriotism: 5 Privileged Sons and No Volunteers?

Is this still the correct age list for the 5 wonder boys: Mitt and Ann Romney have 5 children, all sons: Tagg (37 years old), Matt (36), Josh (32), Ben (29), and Craig (26)?

Is it a religious thing or a class thing that keeps all 5 Romney sons out of harms way, while reaping most of the benefits of being an American?
You wouldn't understand.

It's a "conservative"-thing.

pinkhawks.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFGit_tZDqs]Generation Chickenhawk: With The College Republicans - YouTube[/ame]​

If a person comes from a family that works, they will be likely to work. If mom has lived off welfare, daddy's gone, they won't get a good paying job, or any job.

It is a little late for democrats to blather on about the patriotism of military service. The last two democrat presidents never served at all. And, the democrats did everything they could to dice and slice Sarah Palin's son who was actively serving while she was running for VP.

Thats not necessarily true, I know several friends of mine who turned out to be total potheads who just play Playstation 3 all day and just smoke weed, and don't work. Their parents both have good jobs, and they are not welfare babies.

Left wing? I attacked Republicans for supporting Cheney who dodged the draft 5 times while never blinking when sending other people's children to wars he would never have fought.

Romney's family has reaped the cream at the top of American society. Most old time Dems and Repubs of old felt a sense of obligation for their place in society. What the hell is wrong with these 1%ers?

Take, and never give? Romney is always talking about keeping America strong. He wants a strong America? It's time for his ilk to step up and sacrifice. The main reason troops had so many tours in Iraq and Afghanistan is NOT enough loud and proud flag wavers volunteered when needed.

How much money did Romney give to church and charity ?

How much money did Joe Biden give to church and charity ?

Percentages will do just fine.

Biden's son went to Iraq. Biden's worth about $350,000. One of the poorest members of congress before becoming Vice.

Romney's worth a quarter Billion dollars..and that's what we know. He's got foreign accounts...so he might be worth more.

None of his sons went to war. Given a chance to fight in a war he FULLY SUPPORTED, he balked.

So you're not going to answer the question.

Romney Tax Returns Show $7 Million in Donations Over 2 Years - Businessweek

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney donated $7 million to charity in the past two years, more than the $6.2 million the candidate and his wife paid in federal taxes in that period, documents the campaign released show.

Biden gave average of $369 to charity a year - USATODAY.com

Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden and his wife gave an average of $369 a year to charity during the past decade, his tax records show.
Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's campaign today released 10 years' worth of tax returns for Biden, a senator from Delaware, and his wife Jill, a community college instructor. The Bidens reported earning $319,853 last year, including $71,000 in royalties for his memoir, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics.

An average of $400 even when he was making 320 K a year.

Wow...that's a fair share.

I don't recall asking about Iraq.

How much money did Romney give to church and charity ?

How much money did Joe Biden give to church and charity ?

Percentages will do just fine.

Biden's son went to Iraq. Biden's worth about $350,000. One of the poorest members of congress before becoming Vice.

Romney's worth a quarter Billion dollars..and that's what we know. He's got foreign accounts...so he might be worth more.

None of his sons went to war. Given a chance to fight in a war he FULLY SUPPORTED, he balked.

So you're not going to answer the question.

Romney Tax Returns Show $7 Million in Donations Over 2 Years - Businessweek

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney donated $7 million to charity in the past two years, more than the $6.2 million the candidate and his wife paid in federal taxes in that period, documents the campaign released show.

Biden gave average of $369 to charity a year - USATODAY.com

Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden and his wife gave an average of $369 a year to charity during the past decade, his tax records show.
Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's campaign today released 10 years' worth of tax returns for Biden, a senator from Delaware, and his wife Jill, a community college instructor. The Bidens reported earning $319,853 last year, including $71,000 in royalties for his memoir, Promises to Keep: On Life and Politics.

An average of $400 even when he was making 320 K a year.

Wow...that's a fair share.

I don't recall asking about Iraq.

Do even bother to read these articles?

Romney and his wife, Ann, who jointly file taxes, gave $1.5 million cash in 2010 and $2.6 million cash in 2011 to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, the tax documents show. A former Massachusetts governor whose campaign estimates his fortune at between $190 million and $250 million as co-founder of Boston private-equity firm Bain Capital LLC, Romney is a devout Mormon with deep family ties to the church.

The Romneys donated about 16.4 percent of their adjusted gross income of $42.5 million in the two-year period, according to their 2010 tax returns and an estimate for 2011 taxes. The 2010 return shows $3 million in charitable contributions, and the 2011 estimate shows $4 million.

At first glance, the dollar amount of the Romneys’ charitable giving is “shocking,” Russell James, director of a graduate program in charitable financial planning at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, said in a telephone interview today. “But it’s a different story when you compare it to total wealth. It’s not a shocking amount when you have a quarter- billion dollars in wealth.”

Gifts of Stock

In addition to their church donations, the Romneys had deductions for more than $2 million in donations that are listed as noncash charitable contributions. That includes tens of thousands of shares of stock in Domino’s Pizza Inc, Senasata Technologies, Dunkin Donuts and Warner Chilcott that went to his family’s Tyler Foundation, based in Boston. Romney’s Bain Capital acquired those companies, records show.

It isn’t unusual for high earners like the Romneys to funnel money into charitable foundations that they control, said Lloyd Mayer, an associate dean at the University of Notre Dame Law School.

“If you’re wealthy, you set up your own private foundation,” Mayer said. “You get a deduction now, but you don’t have to give it all away right away. You can do it in a much more leisurely way.”

‘Common Strategy’

From a tax perspective, it makes sense for the Romneys to use shares of stock to make charitable donations, Mayer said. If someone donates shares that have increased in value, they can deduct the contribution while avoiding the 15 percent capital gains tax they would have to pay otherwise.

“It’s a very common strategy,” Mayer said.

Most of the "charity" went to the Mormon church..or to evade paying taxes.

Gosh.

And again..when called in to do service for this country..Romney went to France.

Is this still the correct age list for the 5 wonder boys: Mitt and Ann Romney have 5 children, all sons: Tagg (37 years old), Matt (36), Josh (32), Ben (29), and Craig (26)?

Is it a religious thing or a class thing that keeps all 5 Romney sons out of harms way, while reaping most of the benefits of being an American?

He was supposed to force one of his kids into the military just on the off chance that he might run for POTUS one day? What a very strange opinion.

Personally, being from a supposed 'privileged' background, all my brothers have served... I don't see why wealth has anything to do with it. But I am confident that it makes sense to an idiot.

Perhaps I'm a bit biased by the fact that Romney makes my skin crawl, but this is a legitimate observation worthy of consideration. Having now read through the thread it comes as no surprise that not one of the Romney supporters here has bothered to actually defend the facts and have instead resorted to attacking you for simply observing facts that they'd just as soon sweep under the rug. How dare you attack Mitt's poor innocent children!! :rofl:

He was supposed to force one of his kids into the military just on the off chance that he might run for POTUS one day? What a very strange opinion.

^Strawman fail.

So, you are only allowed to reap the benefits of being an American if you served in the military?

Where/when did you serve?

As James Fallows recently pointed out:

Jimmy Carter is a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy who spent ten years in the uniformed service of his country. As far as I can tell, this is ten years more than the cumulative service of all members of the Romney clan.​

It also happens to be 10 more years than our current president served in the military, yet I do not see any libtards complaining about that.

Name the children of Democrat politicians who are currently serving. We'll wait for it . . .
. . . . . . . .

name a Democratic candidate who keeps saying another politician is weak on defense, and who has 5 grown up adults in their family who are eligible for military service?

all things being fair....life isn't.

you lose. now stfu

So, you're pissed Romney did not force his sons to enlist in the military? You don't like freedom of choice? I see.

It really is odd that Romney or any of his five sons ever served their country in the military.

Regarding the military draft, Romney had initially received a student deferment, then like most other Mormon missionaries a ministerial deferment while in France, then another student deferment. When those ran out, his high number in the December 1969 draft lottery (300) ensured he would not be selected.

Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It really is odd that Obama never served his country in the military.

That's just different... right? :rolleyes:

It really is odd that Romney or any of his five sons ever served their country in the military.

Regarding the military draft, Romney had initially received a student deferment, then like most other Mormon missionaries a ministerial deferment while in France, then another student deferment. When those ran out, his high number in the December 1969 draft lottery (300) ensured he would not be selected.

Mitt Romney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It really is odd that Obama never served his country in the military.

That's just different... right? :rolleyes:

Do you question Obama's patriotism?

But isn't it a fairly honest question?

And not even a partisan one. Joe Biden's son served in Iraq. So did Sarah Palin's son. So did John McCain's son.

And John McCain served in Vietnam while Mitt Romney was out annoying French People in a white shirt.

I think it cuts to the core of what's morally wrong with the Romney candidacy. He's a very well off guy whose family are enjoying all the privilages of America while other people who are doing the hard work and making the sacrifices.

So when Mitt said in 2008 that his sons serving on his campaign staff was just as much serving their country as kids over in Iraq and Afghanistan, well, honestly, I don't think I rolled my eyes that much since that demonic possession.

It might be fair game if Bill Clinton and Obama had served...but now you're going after someones kids? can't crawl much lower, ya think?

Bill Clinton made a principled stand against a war that most people agree now was a horrible idea. Obama came of age at a time when we were at peace and had no draft. So, uh, no, those things don't really fall into the same category, really.

The Romney kids are all on the campaign payroll and have been for the last five years, when none of them felt the need to go down to a recruiter's station and sign up.

So, it's okay to rag on Romneys kids for not being in the military when there was no draft, yet it's NOT okay to rag on Obama for not being in the military when there was no draft.

Got it.

It might be fair game if Bill Clinton and Obama had served...but now you're going after someones kids? can't crawl much lower, ya think?

Bill Clinton made a principled stand against a war that most people agree now was a horrible idea. Obama came of age at a time when we were at peace and had no draft. So, uh, no, those things don't really fall into the same category, really.

The Romney kids are all on the campaign payroll and have been for the last five years, when none of them felt the need to go down to a recruiter's station and sign up.

obama came of age when there was no draft and did not volenteer. Romneys kids came of age when there is no draft and did not volunteer. As far a s i am concerned...they are equal.

well, that's just... different.

If a person comes from a family that works, they will be likely to work. If mom has lived off welfare, daddy's gone, they won't get a good paying job, or any job.

It is a little late for democrats to blather on about the patriotism of military service. The last two democrat presidents never served at all. And, the democrats did everything they could to dice and slice Sarah Palin's son who was actively serving while she was running for VP.

Thats not necessarily true, I know several friends of mine who turned out to be total potheads who just play Playstation 3 all day and just smoke weed, and don't work.
Gee.....whatta shocker.....a Bubblehead with those kinds of friends.​

Last edited:
If Republicans wanted a true American patriot on the ballot they would've nominated Ron Paul.

There is absolutely nothing about Mitt Romney that suggests he's any more of a patriot than Barack Obama. Fact, not opinion. :thup:

Forum List

Back