Romney Supports NDAA

He didn't have much choice. A veto would have definitely been over-ridden and this would have been fodder for the right wing to spew out that timely canard "That the left doesn't support the military".

He was able to change some of the wording and issued a signing statement. It was a poison pill from the get go.

Obama Force Congress to Take Away Your Civil Rights in NDAA

He was against that part of it.

Obama Signing Statement: The NDAA Doesn

In the second paragraph of his NDAA signing statement, Obama stated, “The fact that I support this bill as a whole does not mean I agree with everything in it. In particular, I have signed this bill despite having serious reservations with certain provisions that regulate the detention, interrogation, and prosecution of suspected terrorists. Over the last several years, my Administration has developed an effective, sustainable framework for the detention, interrogation and trial of suspected terrorists that allows us to maximize both our ability to collect intelligence and to incapacitate dangerous individuals in rapidly developing situations, and the results we have achieved are undeniable. Our success against al-Qa’ida and its affiliates and adherents has derived in significant measure from providing our counterterrorism professionals with the clarity and flexibility they need to adapt to changing circumstances and to utilize whichever authorities best protect the American people, and our accomplishments have respected the values that make our country an example for the world.”

The president explained why he signed the NDAA, “Against that record of success, some in Congress continue to insist upon restricting the options available to our counterterrorism professionals and interfering with the very operations that have kept us safe. My Administration has consistently opposed such measures. Ultimately, I decided to sign this bill not only because of the critically important services it provides for our forces and their families and the national security programs it authorizes, but also because the Congress revised provisions that otherwise would have jeopardized the safety, security, and liberty of the American people. Moving forward, my Administration will interpret and implement the provisions described below in a manner that best preserves the flexibility on which our safety depends and upholds the values on which this country was founded.”

What would have been your solution? The Senate vote was nearly unanimous on this.

Obama lied in that signing statement. A signing statement is meaningless political garbage. It has no legal powers. Democrat Carl Levin tells the truth on Obama. See video below. According to Democrat Carl Levin, Obama forced congress under threat of veto to remove the provision that protected the civil rights of US citizens.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0PdDGqK0S4"]Proof Obama wants to Indefinitely Detain Americans![/ame]

Last edited:
NDAA?

It's not a pretty story for either party.

In the Senate ONLY 6 Republicans and ONLY 6 Democrats voted AGAINST this l;egilation.

The National Defense Authorization Act and its controversial provisions regarding detention of terror suspects passed the House of Representatives Wednesday night, 283-136.

Democrats in House? 93 against

Republicans in House? 43 against

May 26, 2011: This bill passed in the House of Representatives by roll call vote. The totals were 322 Ayes, 96 Nays, 13 Present/Not Voting. Vote Details.

Dec 1, 2011: This bill passed in the Senate with changes by Unanimous Consent. A record of each senator’s position was not kept.
Dec 14, 2011: After passing both the Senate and House, a conference committee is created to work out differences between the Senate and House versions of the bill. A conference report resolving those differences passed in the House of Representatives, paving the way for enactment of the bill, by roll call vote. The totals were 283 Ayes, 136 Nays, 14 Present/Not Voting. Vote Details. You are not tracking any senators or representatives. To see their votes here, look up a Member of Congress.

Dec 15, 2011: After passing both the Senate and House, a conference committee is created to work out differences between the Senate and House versions of the bill. A conference report resolving those differences passed in the Senate, paving the way for enactment of the bill, by roll call vote. The totals were 86 Ayes, 13 Nays, 1 Present/Not Voting. Vote Details.

Yea:86(86%)

45401Nay:13(13%)
661Present:0(0%)
000Not Voting:1(1%)
010Required: Simple Majority of 99 votes (=50 votes)

source

So guess what kiddies?

If you HATE this legislation, know the DEMOCRATS IN THE HOUSE were split down the middle on it, (93-93) but the REPUBLICANS voted for it overwhelming!

Gotta love those freedom loving Republicans, don'tcha? --- All 43 of them! (teaparty players would be my guess)

Gotta also love the 93 DEMS who voted against it.

WTF, Republicans. Your front runner openly and unabashedly supports the NDAA. A bill that you have been blasting Obama for signing. Do you still support Romney, even though he supports having the authority to take away your right to a fair trial? Do you support the Constitution at all, or is it really all about the party rivalry?

Breaking: Romney Supports NDAA! - YouTube

Not only no, but fuck no....................

Gotta love those freedom loving Republicans, don'tcha? --- All 43 of them! (teaparty players would be my guess)

Gotta also love the 93 DEMS who voted against it.

I don't recall any "TEA Party Candidates" on the ballot who got elected. The ones you speak of are Republicans & were elected on a Republican ticket. They are just "TEA Party Posers" who tried to capitalize on the "TEA Party Movement" The "TEA Party" is 4 square against this BS.

Forum List

Back