Roger Ailes’ Secret Nixon-Era Blueprint for Fox News

I was recently reading 'Prime Time Propaganda', and among the many shows dissected in the book was the show Cheers. I haven't ever seen an episode, I am 26, so when I saw it on the other night I turned it on for the very last moments of the show. It starts with the short-haired, unattractive woman yelling out the nameless members of the bar as she yells that she is indeed having her 4th child and no she isn't married and yes she is fine with it.

My point here is if you believe that the political right has any propaganda that can rival that utter dominance the left wields over all forms of media: television, movies, music--all that shape culture, then you are a very dumb person.

Television, movies, etc? gimme a break. Those things are dictated by profitability. The demand dictates the content. Something you ought to be all for.

Propaganda: noun information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

Again and again it has been proven, and fairly well documented, the left has incredible influence of television, the most influential form of media and the most conducive to spreading information or ideas.

I want to honestly ask you a question: if you had to label prime time television as being conservative or liberal what would you choose? Which political side, right or left, is shaping our culture and society through propaganda?

Well, since I watch mostly the discovery network of programming.. I'd say neither. However, if you want to ask that of the Big Four Networks? I'd say that it's very much Profit Driven... Ever since Survivor came out in 2000, there has been nothing decent on those networks. It's a sham... they get people to come on their show and vie for a certain amount of money and it's cheap programming for them and the mouth breathers love it.

It makes them a ton of money, it's an inferior product, and there is a glut of them on every night... I'd say it's very much Right wing... all about money, little substance.

Exactly carbineer.

Personally... I don't give a shit... more and more people are seeing what Fox News is. More and more people can see the stonewalling for what it is.

Ohio just repealed their Beloved Tea Party Governor's Attack on Collective Bargaining, Wisconsin is ready to run Their Tea Party Governor out on a rail, Christy's in trouble in NJ and on and on...

The American People are generally not stupid and can see with their own two eyes what's going on. Are they happy with Obama? No... but much of that angst is because they feel he needs to grow a set and play hardball with the GOP like they do with him.

In the meantime my DEMOCRATIC governor Andrew Cuomo negotiated labor concessions, got the budget fixed,

and is sporting a 60% approval rating. Of course the cable media (right AND left) scrupulously ignores this, why? My guess is it's because Governor Cuomo isn't sticking his face in front of their cameras and kissing their asses every other day, like the fatman Christie et al.

The best indicator that Foxnews is biased to the right?

The fact that rightwing nuts LOVE Foxnews. That's all the verification you need. If they were center cut,

the right would bitch about them as much as they bitch about everything and anyone else that doesn't pass the purity test.

Only idiots can be blindly fooled. We all know they lean heavily right. So what? Msnbc leans even further left. But they are both good sources and balance can easily be found if you have half a brain.

Roger Ailes' Secret Nixon-Era Blueprint for Fox News

Republican media strategist Roger Ailes launched Fox News Channel in 1996, ostensibly as a "fair and balanced" counterpoint to what he regarded as the liberal establishment media. But according to a remarkable document buried deep within the Richard Nixon Presidential Library, the intellectual forerunner for Fox News was a nakedly partisan 1970 plot by Ailes and other Nixon aides to circumvent the "prejudices of network news" and deliver "pro-administration" stories to heartland television viewers.
The memo—called, simply enough, "A Plan For Putting the GOP on TV News"— is included in a 318-page cache of documents detailing Ailes' work for both the Nixon and George H.W. Bush administrations that we obtained from the Nixon and Bush presidential libraries. Through his firms REA Productions and Ailes Communications, Inc., Ailes served as paid consultant to both presidents in the 1970s and 1990s, offering detailed and shrewd advice ranging from what ties to wear to how to keep the pressure up on Saddam Hussein in the run-up to the first Gulf War.
<more>

3isa.jpg

:thup:

Exactly carbineer.

Personally... I don't give a shit... more and more people are seeing what Fox News is. More and more people can see the stonewalling for what it is.

Ohio just repealed their Beloved Tea Party Governor's Attack on Collective Bargaining, Wisconsin is ready to run Their Tea Party Governor out on a rail, Christy's in trouble in NJ and on and on...

The American People are generally not stupid and can see with their own two eyes what's going on. Are they happy with Obama? No... but much of that angst is because they feel he needs to grow a set and play hardball with the GOP like they do with him.

In the meantime my DEMOCRATIC governor Andrew Cuomo negotiated labor concessions, got the budget fixed,

and is sporting a 60% approval rating. Of course the cable media (right AND left) scrupulously ignores this, why? My guess is it's because Governor Cuomo isn't sticking his face in front of their cameras and kissing their asses every other day, like the fatman Christie et al.

&#8220;The budget that Mr. Cuomo unveiled this week closes a gaping deficit with major budget reductions, calling for spending cuts in state hiring, education, health care, aid to universities and payments to cities. The plan would balance the Empire State's $135 billion budget without a dime of new taxes or borrowing. Remarkably, if his budget passed, the state would spend $3.5 billion less than it did last year.
[...]
...Mr. Cuomo's real conceptual breakthrough is to expose the rigged-game of "baseline budgeting." This is a gambit by which spending increases automatically each year even before a Governor submits his budget. The "baseline" grows each year due to spending formulas that legislatures build into the law even before they take a single vote.
[...]
Mr. Cuomo: "When a governor takes office, in many ways the die has already been cast. Unbelievably, this year these rates and formulas in total call for a 13 percent increase in Medicaid and a 13 percent increase in education funding next year. &#8216;... "this process frames the dialogue around the budget and biases the political discourse.&#8217; &#8221;
Governor Cuomo is proposing a reform that would put more reasonable spending projections in the place of ever expanding baseline projections. His budget for Medicaid would be based on medical inflation, less than half the increase previously assumed, applying the same disciplines to education cutting growth projections by half.

The WSJ, doesn't ignore it.
Review & Outlook: Cuomo's Lesson for House Republicans - WSJ.com

Last edited:
Television, movies, etc? gimme a break. Those things are dictated by profitability. The demand dictates the content. Something you ought to be all for.

Propaganda: noun information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

Again and again it has been proven, and fairly well documented, the left has incredible influence of television, the most influential form of media and the most conducive to spreading information or ideas.

I want to honestly ask you a question: if you had to label prime time television as being conservative or liberal what would you choose? Which political side, right or left, is shaping our culture and society through propaganda?

Well, since I watch mostly the discovery network of programming.. I'd say neither. However, if you want to ask that of the Big Four Networks? I'd say that it's very much Profit Driven... Ever since Survivor came out in 2000, there has been nothing decent on those networks. It's a sham... they get people to come on their show and vie for a certain amount of money and it's cheap programming for them and the mouth breathers love it.

It makes them a ton of money, it's an inferior product, and there is a glut of them on every night... I'd say it's very much Right wing... all about money, little substance.

Profit driven is a bad thing? Where is that steel plate? In your head?

Did you, or have you watched "Survivor?"

Nothing wrong at all. The memo just proves that Fox was never meant to be fair and balanced.

funny that, cause in reality it is. they show both points of view on a regular basis.

So does MSNBC... they bring people like Pat Buchanan and other Conservatives to speak for their side. But that's not what FOX tells you, is it?

BTW... They don't do it all that regularly and usually the "other point of view" is usually two or three Conservatives ganging up on the one Liberal... usually browbeating them with half truths and trick questions until the person gives up...then declare victory.... Kind of like in here.

translation. liberals are bullies and unless it's their way they don't want to play. we got it.

Exactly carbineer.

This last paragraph is really quite amazing. You acknowledge that the American people can see what's going on then continue to say that the American people cannot see what's going on by claiming that the Big 0's policies which have led to a prolonged and persistant recession need to be expanded to make the effects more pronounced.

Does this mean that you are somehow removed from the group that you refer to as being able to see what's going on?

Do Progressives understand the meaning of the First Amendment?

I have no idea what those "progesssives" understand. I'm not even sure who these progressive you speak of even are, to be frank, Frank.

Do you understand the real meaning of the word CONSPIRACY?

Forum List

Back