home_feature.gif

Absolutely ridiculous.

and Kerry adds to it.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041015/D85O5T5G0.html

Kerry Warns Draft Possible if Bush Wins

Email this Story

Oct 15, 7:34 PM (ET)

By TOM RAUM

(AP) Democratic presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., greets a crowd after delivering a...
Full Image

WASHINGTON (AP) - John Kerry said Friday there is a "great potential" for a new military draft to replace overextended U.S. troops in Iraq if President Bush wins a second term, despite Bush's repeated pledges to maintain the all-volunteer service. Republicans rejected the suggestion as "fear mongering."

Bush and his Democratic challenger also sparred over jobs and other domestic issues as they campaigned through battleground states in the Midwest.

At a rally in Milwaukee, Kerry said Bush was "out of ideas, out of touch and unwilling to change" and accused him of mishandling the economy. Bush, campaigning in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, called his rival an unrepentant liberal seeking to hide his record.

Kerry raised the draft issue in an interview in The Des Moines Register published Friday.

"With George Bush, the plan for Iraq is more of the same and the great potential of a draft. Because if we go it alone, I don't know how you do it with the current overextension" of the military, Kerry said.

Bush campaign spokesman Steve Schmidt dismissed Kerry's comments as "fear mongering" and suggested the Massachusetts senator was spreading "false Internet rumors."

Kerry has suggested that Bush's heavy use of National Guard and Reserve troops has created a "backdoor draft." But his latest comments went further.

Bush did not directly respond, but he said in Cedar Rapids that he was "modernizing and transforming our United States military to keep the all-volunteer army an all-volunteer army."

In the second presidential debate, Bush said, "We're not going to have a draft, period." Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld has made similar statements.

The latest dispute over the draft came as a survey indicated that military families trust Bush over Kerry as commander in chief by 69 percent to 21 percent. Some 43 percent of the military sample said they were Republicans, 19 percent said they were Democrats and 27 percent independents.

The margin for Bush was smaller, 50-41, among all Americans questioned by the National Annenberg Election Survey.

Kerry focused on the economy as he began a bus tour of Wisconsin, telling a Milwaukee audience that Bush was "out of touch with the average American family" and that his policies on jobs and taxes favor the wealthiest Americans and special interests.

After leaving Iowa, Bush too went to Wisconsin, speaking at a rally in Oshkosh.

Iowa and Wisconsin are among a dozen or so states that both sides deem still in play. Others are Florida, Ohio, New Mexico, Colorado, Nevada, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Minnesota, Maine and Michigan.

Both campaigns are polling in those and other states to detect any shift in the post-debate landscape - any opportunity to add or subtract from the battleground. Intrigued by public surveys showing Arkansas and Arizona close, Kerry's pollsters are calling voters in those two GOP-leaning states to see if they merit attention in the homestretch.

Bush has virtually stopped advertising in Washington state and advisers privately concede that Oregon has moved comfortably to Kerry's side of the ledger. The Republican National Committee was considering whether to begin advertising in New York City, one of the nation's most expensive media markets, to reach voters in surprisingly close New Jersey, a Democratic bastion.

Bush's advisers say GOP polling since the debate has shown him gaining ground in key states. Kerry's advisers say their surveys have shown no change, though polls suggest that voters believe he won the three debates.

Meanwhile, Kerry defended his reference to the sexual orientation of Mary Cheney during Wednesday's presidential debate. "It was meant as a very constructive comment, in a positive way," he told CNN.

Both Vice President Dick Cheney and his wife Lynne have rebuked Kerry for referring to their openly gay daughter, and White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Friday the president also "does not believe it was appropriate."

Asked how his comment was constructive, Kerry told CNN, "It's respectful of who she is. And they've embraced her and they love her. I have great respect for them for that. And it seems to me that was the point I was trying to make."

In Milwaukee, Kerry said that Bush "either just doesn't understand...or just doesn't care" about the job losses during his term. Some 821,000 non-farm jobs have disappeared since Bush took office in January 2001, making him the first president since Herbert Hoover to see a net loss of jobs.

"The bottom line is this: This economy has a bad case of the flu and we need a new medicine," Kerry said.

Bush also focused on domestic issues in Iowa, claiming his tax-cuts were fueling a strong recovery and accusing Kerry of favoring "more centralized control and more government...There's a word for that. It's called liberalism."

Polls show Bush and Kerry in close races in both Iowa and Wisconsin, two states that Democrat Al Gore won narrowly four years ago.

Bush and Kerry will launch fresh attacks in coming days. Bush will mock Kerry on his approach to terrorism, particularly his statement that he wants to reduce terrorism to a "nuisance," said Bush campaign communications director Nicolle Devenish. On Thursday, Bush will attack Kerry's health care plans, and throughout his travels, Bush will hammer Kerry's economic agenda, she said.

Kerry will deliver speeches during the next week as his "closing argument" for the campaign. Topics will include Bush's "wrong choices" on the economy, the war on terror and health care, Kerry adviser Mike McCurry said. "You look at President Bush and you see nothing but wrong choices and mistakes that he refuses to acknowledge," McCurry told reporters. "You have to start wondering whether or not there's risk that he will repeat those mistakes over the next four years."

Why don't any responsible democrats condemn these disgusting tactics?

Scaring kids into thinking theyll be drafted.
Scaring minorities into thinking Republicans are racists.
Scaring old people into thinking Republicans are going to steal their money.

Tragic irony that people fall for these scare mongering tactics of the left and simultaneously believe that Republicans are trying to make it look like Democrats are the fear-mongerers (BECAUSE THEY FUCKING ARE).

This election is for our national souls.

I'm with you, absolutely ridiculous!!
I think once this election is over, alot of my stress will go away, well, unless Kerry's elected but that's a whole other problem, LOL!

UsaPride said:
I'm with you, absolutely ridiculous!!
I think once this election is over, alot of my stress will go away, well, unless Kerry's elected but that's a whole other problem, LOL!

unfrotunately i doubt it. Endless recounts even if its a landslide are to be expected. Hell their playbook already calls for it.

That's why I put "that's a whole other problem", LOL!! Well, one of the several reasons, LOL!! But, you're right!

There is no way its gonna be a landslide. All polls are dead tied or within the margin of error, and kerry is leading in swing states by 10 points I heard. Whomever loses Ohio is going to start a month's worth of lawsuits.

theim said:
There is no way its gonna be a landslide.
I Pray you're wrong!
All polls are dead tied or within the margin of error
No offense to you at all, but I don't trust polls. I was never polled so I know everyone wasn't polled. The only "poll" I'll trust is Nov. 2nd when everyone votes. I also don't get "Who won the debates". Who cares? The only way we'll really know is on Nov. 2nd, and even then you wont know for sure if it was the debates that did it. I loved Bush and was disgusted to even see Kerry's face, actually most of the time Kerry talked, I Prayed so I missed alot of it, LOL! So of course I'd say Bush won. Doesn't mean he did. How do you know who wins?
Sorry, feeling grumpy, LOL! :D

lol its cool, Ive just been a bit uneasy about this whole thing lately.

Ya know every election everyone always says "this is the most important decision in history!"

I think this time its actually true. I shudder to think what will happen in America, the land of Kerry's Global Test. The third debate he said what he meant by that was not that another country would veto us, but that we had to pass a global truth standard lol. And all this from the man who voted against Gulf War I.

theim said:
lol its cool, Ive just been a bit uneasy about this whole thing lately.
Thanks for understanding, LOL!!

Ya know every election everyone always says "this is the most important decision in history!"

I think this time its actually true. I shudder to think what will happen in America, the land of Kerry's Global Test. The third debate he said what he meant by that was not that another country would veto us, but that we had to pass a global truth standard lol. And all this from the man who voted against Gulf War I.
And people are going to vote for him. This is why I'm grumpy, LOL!! I just don't get it. I feel like, if so many people like Kerry, then to be sure somebody can tell us why. The only reason I ever here that's good about Kerry is he's not Bush, oh, or he served in Vietnam. I just don't get it!
Okay, grumpy again, LOL, I quit!! :bow2:

UsaPride said:
And people are going to vote for him. This is why I'm grumpy, LOL!! I just don't get it. I feel like, if so many people like Kerry, then to be sure somebody can tell us why. The only reason I ever here that's good about Kerry is he's not Bush, oh, or he served in Vietnam. I just don't get it!
Okay, grumpy again, LOL, I quit!! :bow2:

Good luck getting them to tell you why he is so great. i still havent gotten anyone to explain to me what was so great about clinton.

More blatant fear-mongering towards the youngest voting age bracket.

http://blog.rockthevote.com/

Saturday, October 16, 2004
Our opinion on the draft

Time to talk candidly about draft

By BOBBY MULLER AND JEHMU GREENE

"The draft is becoming a political hot potato. Last week, Congress even took the extraordinary step of hastily scheduling a phony vote against legislation to restore the draft. But an empty vote in Congress will not end the debate.

Both presidential candidates have asserted that they oppose a draft. But what draft-age Americans should be asking is how the presidential hopefuls will either increase troop numbers and/or change our foreign policy to reduce force requirements and ensure that a draft does not become necessary.

Just because politicians and military leaders don't want to deal with the substance of this issue doesn't mean that momentum behind it won't be propelled by increasing anxiety about troop commitments, prolonged instability in Iraq and concern about another terrorist attack on U.S. soil.

It's time for a candid national dialogue about a possible return to conscription. The generation that would be called must know how the candidates will address the issue before - not after - the election."

Read the rest of the editorial, including where we debunk the myths about the draft, here.

Here's their email.

[email protected]

I think everyone should email these assholes and tell them what we think.

Add these little tidbits of TRUTH to these idiots.

Charles Rangel (D-NY) introduces Draft legislation
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/07/rangel.draft/

Voted down 402-2. Notice Rangel doesnt even vote Yea on his own Bill.
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2004/roll494.xml

Tom Delay on this intentional Plan from the DNC
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=37543

Here's the letter i sent.

Dear Rock the vote,

My name is Bryan and i am 23 years old. I would like to let you know that many Americans of Draft age are very disappointed in your blatant efforts to instill fear into ill-informed, younger Americans. Your campaign to insist that a draft is imminent if George Bush is re-elected is completely baseless. The bill presented to congress in January of this year was presented by a democrat Charles Rangel was defeated on October 6th, 2004 by an overwhleming margin of 402-2. Charles Rangel (D-NY) even voted against his own bill.

Why do you insist on beating a non-issue to death? The same reason Democrats during an election year call Republicans racists, claim that the elderly are going to be robbed blind and the poor are going to get poorer; Democrats try to instill fear into the voting populace to win elections. Im saddened to think that a group that has gotten so many young people to register to vote and be aware of current events has been used either willingly or unkowingly by the Democratic party for such shameful tactics.

I would hope that Rock the Vote would use their incredible influence to present the issues in a non-partisan manner. Unfortunately this isnt the case. I present to you the facts in links below since you've obviously missed them or ignored them in your quest to have every 18-25 year old in America quaking in their sneakers about going to fight. I hope you choose to change your tune and stop the tactics of spreading fear to win elections.

-Sincerely
Bryan Sein

Charles Rangel (D-NY) introduces Draft legislation
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/07/rangel.draft/

Voted down 402-2. Notice Rangel doesnt even vote Yea on his own Bill.
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2004/roll494.xml

Tom DeLay on the falsehoods of the Draft
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=37543

"For months now, the American people have been subjected to -- and had their intelligence insulted by -- a manipulative, dishonest, and willful campaign of misinformation. This campaign, which started as a whisper but has since been given voice by the leading Democrats in the country today, asserts without any evidence whatsoever that there is a secret Republican plan to reinstitute the military draft.

"This campaign is a baseless and malevolent concoction of the Democrat Party, and everyone in this chamber knows it. It has one purpose -- to spread fear. To spread fear among an unsuspecting public, to undermine the war on terror, to undermine our troops, to undermine our cause, and most of all, to undermine our commander-in-chief ... in an election year." -Tom DeLay, House Majority Leader

WTF is going on? This is one helluva misinformation campaign by RtV. Let's revue:

1) John Kerry wants to add 2 whole active divisions
2) Bush has said again and again there will be no draft while he is President
3) DEMOCRATS introduce a bill in congress to reinstate a draft

Now what kind of moron adds that all up and comes up with "Bush wants to reinstate the draft!" ?

theim said:
WTF is going on? This is one helluva misinformation campaign by RtV. Let's revue:

1) John Kerry wants to add 2 whole active divisions
2) Bush has said again and again there will be no draft while he is President
3) DEMOCRATS introduce a bill in congress to reinstate a draft

Now what kind of moron adds that all up and comes up with "Bush wants to reinstate the draft!" ?
:piss2:A democrat!

Forum List

Back