The Cheneys Are Hypocrites And Shameful Parents

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NATO AIR, Oct 15, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Alright see this is the one thing that pisses me off... the Cheneys have openly, publically talked about their daughter being a lesbian, at social and politicial events, in national interviews for magazines, internet and TV. so how the fuck does kerry "OUT" her on national TV? damn near everybody knew about it already. he was making a simple political point that i for one actually agree with.

you have a lesbian daughter that you accept and love. how then can you support the gay bashing of a great number of republicans both in the white house and in the party as a whole?
    the democrats are not the ones with a substantial anti-gay base....the republicans are. you see it on the board, there are some folks who are downright bigots. i respect their free speech and they're mostly good folks aside from that, but it scares the living daylights out of me at times.

so let me get this straight, the cheneys are outraged that kerry reminded the nation their daughter is gay... alright, but alan keyes and other republicans can trash her and other gays and they have no problem with it?
    SHAMEFUL! WTF kind of parents are they? who are they to act shocked and hurt with kerry? they need to be mad as hell at some members of their own party.

BECAUSE BUSH IS PANDERING TO BIGOTS AND HE WANTS THEIR VOTES.... bush isn't stupid, he knows how to steal conservative democrat votes by swinging them to vote for him on that main issue: gay marriage and gays in general.

kerry obviously did this to knock off a point or two of bush's base, people who may not have realized or known much about the VP having a gay daughter and are angry at this realization. perhaps he also did it to showcase the hypocricy evident on this issue within the bush-cheney ticket.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Because you dont talk about another mans family. Especially one not very active in the campaign.

Glenn Beck made a good analogy today in light of Mrs. Edwards ridiculous statements. What if the question came up are people born obese and do they have a choice to change? If Bush decided to say, "Well i'd imagine you can ask Senator Edwards' wife about that. After all she is a Fattie."

What the hell does that have to do with the question at all? IT was just a cheap tactic to try and remind people that the administration has a lesbian in near the white house. He was trying to scare conservatives. Shameful

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Palestinian Jew

Palestinian Jew Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So when Cheney mentioned his daughter on the campaign trail, what was that, "scare tactics"?

This is another non-issue Republicans are trying to push to keep Iraq and the economy out of the news, and so far it is working. And kudos on trying to push more swiftboat BS down our throats.

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i agree he did it to scare away conservatives. i recognize kerry for what he is, an opportunist career politician who will do whatever it takes to win. but its increasingly looking like that defines cheney as well.

you talk about shameful? somebody in YOUR party calls YOUR daughter a selfish hedonist because she's lesbian... people in YOUR party actively e-mail and preach about the evils of homosexuality and the inhumanity of it. Yet you don't say shit. That's SHAMEFUL.

5. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    He mentioned his daughter when asked about his stand on gay marriage. He wasn't pandering to a room full of gays trying to get votes by saying his daughter was gay. There's a huge difference.

6. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Any particular person's sexual orientation is a private matter and is not to be used as cynical ammunition for cheap political salvos. Any reasonable degree of civility would not permit the children and relatives of politicians to be used as political fodder.

No one posting on this board is qualified to pass judgment on the Cheneys' worth as parents.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I love this notion that it is somehow ok to talk about a gay person's sexuality as a political point. If Bush had said, "I happen to know that Alexandra Kerry sleeps with men, and enjoys it. I would imagine that sleeping with men for her, is totally natural," Nato you would be in here screaming that Bush had lost his mind.

The issue, that you are missing totally by making this about homosexuality (just like Kerry wants), is that the Cheney's are NOT mad about their daughter being gay, or about Kerry knowing it. The Cheney's are mad because their daughter's sex life was used as talking points by Kerry in front of the entire world on national television.

Whether she prefers her sex life to involve men or women is irrelevant.

Kerry brought up the child of his competition and spoke about their personal life to win points with voters...it breaks an unspoken but well known code of ethics, which is why so many people were taken aback by his actions.

What you need to ask yourself is WHY. WHY did Kerry do that?

Some feel that he was complementing the Cheney's on their open and loving relationship with their gay daughter. But do you really think that in the midst of a VERY CLOSE and VERY UNKIND election year one side of the opposition just up and decides to make their opponents look like reasonable, open-minded men that they REALLY NEED to compliment on national tv??? I'm sorry...but GIVE ME A BREAK!

Ok, if you are logical enough to understand that Kerry and/or Edwards were NOT attempting to complement their opponent...then we can move on.

Neither Bush nor Kerry have said anything in the past few months that hasn't been worked over by their handlers...they have hundreds of people (Kerry keeps calling in more) telling them what to say to win votes.

Kerry especially, is cool, collected, and intensely well-prepared. He would not slip a line in about Cheney's daughter without having it cleared first...so what are the options

1. He and his handlers said, "Hey, lets compliment the Cheney's cause we like the way they act towards Mary Cheney, and its always a good idea to bring up GOOD things about your opposition in the middle of a dead heat."

2. He and his handlers said, "Hey, right-wing nutbags are bigots...perhaps, since Cheney DOESN'T talk about his daughters sex life unless asked, some of the bigots DON'T know about his lesbian daughter...and they will be so grossed out they will vote for me cause my daughters are straight."

3. He and his handlers said, "Hey, Cheney was obviously uncomfortable when Edwards commented on his daughter at the VP debate...maybe we can get them to do something...like get upset about me mentioning their daughters sex life on national tv...and then we can have people peg them as anti-gay...adding more votes to my side."

I'm sorry, but some combination of 2 and 3 sound a WHOLE LOT MORE LIKELY than 1.

I find it intensely intriguing that the people who claim to support gay rights seem to be the ones who feel that people who are open about the fact that they are homosexual somehow have given up their right to privacy. It is that privacy that all straight people assume they have, the right to not have their sexlife bantered around publically...certainly the right not to have it used as political fodder without permission (weren't these the same people outraged about Clinton's sex life being an issue?) But somehow, when it is a gay person's sexuality...its alright to discuss it nationally without her permission...I find that to be a shocking example of prejudice towards the gay community. Affording them equal rights ALSO includes affording them the right to privacy...

P.S. As a sidenote, or more appropriately, an afterthought. Mary Cheney is a 30-something year old woman who seems to get along quite well with both of her parents, her partner seems to be part of their lives as well. She is working, BY CHOICE, for her father's campaign in efforts to get him (AND BUSH!) back for another 4 years. These are not the actions of a woman who does not feel loved and respected by her family. These are not the actions of a woman whos mother feels "shame" about her. To use her word, SHAME on Elizabeth Edwards for suggesting such a thing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 5
  8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    gem, i almost totally agree with you. i even said kerry did it to scare or put doubt in the hearts of social conservatives.

but check this out, i posted that link with alan keyes (the GOP senator hopeful for illinois) statement about mary cheney. where was the outrage then? where was mrs. cheney defending her daughter? where was dick cheney? if someone slandered my daughter or son, i would be tempted to beat the shit out of them, and would say it on national TV.... there are some things beyond politics, and condemning the daughter of someone for her sexuality is way beyond anything acceptable.

he made a shrewd, badly calculated political move... stupid because the country already knows the cheneys have a lesbian daughter because both mom and dad the vp have said it publically,both at political and social events.
    did kerry condemn her or criticize her?
    no, but the cheneys were all up in arms as well as the majority of the people on this board and in the GOP.

did alan keyes do that? HELL YES.
    WHERE THE HELL WAS EVERYBODY WHEN KEYES SAID THAT? WHERE WERE THE PROTESTS AND THE OUTRAGE?

HYPOCRITES!

9. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    It's pretty simple. Bush isn't stupid, and neither am I. Aiming at undecided voters that are prejudice against homosexuals is exactly what John Kerry was doing. Really, what did Kerry's statement have to do with the question that had been posed?

As far as the Keyes situation, there is a bit of a difference. What he said actually had to do with the topic at hand, and was not during a nationally televised debate. After saying homosexuality is "selfish hedonism," Keyes was asked if that made Mary Cheney "a selfish hedonist." Keyes said, "Of course she is. That goes by definition." Caertainly not a nice thing to say, but not an outright attack on Mary Cheney either.

The question to Keyes actually put him in a pickle. After taking that stance, what was he suppose to say? If he had dodged the question, it would have looked bad, and he couldn't very well say, "No, I mean every homosexual except Mary Cheney."

Now, all that said, I think Alan Keyes sucks and I would just as soon leave the whole Mary Cheney incident in the past.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i'd love to leave it in the past too but the cheneys want to claim victimhood of their daughter... after they failed to defend her from keyes's statement. and that's hypocritical and pisses me off.

keyes could have simply said, i have no comment on the VP's personal family. he is my VP and i don't criticize the party chain of command, especially not in election year. instead, he did attack her (though it wasn't on a national debate).

i agree it would have made him look bad to not answer, but sometimes to do the right thing you have to take a hit. bush does that a lot, he sticks to his guns and his beliefs, and he sometimes get penalized for it by the polls and by politics. he's still doing the right thing, and that's why in the end, many respect him and he'll get reelected.

kerry and keyes do not, they do whatever they can to get elected... and sadly, it seems, so do the cheneys (who play politics with their daughter just as bad as kerry did).