Roberts Justice or Injustice

The comment from the Chief Justice is odd on its face but factual if one believes the Court made their decision based on the constitution.

Obama and crew advertised the individual mandate in the PPACA as constitutional under the commerce clause. When the Solicitor argued the case in court, it all of a sudden became a tax.

Back to the comment. Chief Justice Roberts has reminded the electorate that elections have consequences and if the People do not approve of the policy of the current administration, changes can be made in four months.

Yup. I agree.

As I've said. This whole deal is a win, win for Romney and the GOP.

How can Roberts justify what he said
“ It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.”
When the majority of Americans did not want obamacaretax?

ThE bill had a 60 vote plurality of Senators voted in by "we the people". Obama ran for office on the fact he would pass a healthcare bill. It was the political choices of the people that passed the bill

That is how our society works

Nope, not me.

I can see that so if the court over turned Roe vs Wade you wouldn't care?

Why, was Obamacare overturned? That was fast.

obamacare doesn't protect Roe vs. Wade obamacare doesn't protect abortion. But that is another topic

I always thought it was the courts duty to protect the rights of citizens

“ It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices.”
I guess we were mistaken.

ThE bill had a 60 vote plurality of Senators voted in by "we the people". Obama ran for office on the fact he would pass a healthcare bill. It was the political choices of the people that passed the bill

OH so obama did have a Filibuster proof Senate? And a majority Congress?

The comment from the Chief Justice is odd on its face but factual if one believes the Court made their decision based on the constitution.

Obama and crew advertised the individual mandate in the PPACA as constitutional under the commerce clause. When the Solicitor argued the case in court, it all of a sudden became a tax.

Back to the comment. Chief Justice Roberts has reminded the electorate that elections have consequences and if the People do not approve of the policy of the current administration, changes can be made in four months.

Yup. I agree.

As I've said. This whole deal is a win, win for Romney and the GOP.

Aren't you more concerned with what Roberts said more than anything else?

I would never have guessed the outcome and I guess most people feel the same. Roberts always reminded me of the rich Catholic boy who had things too easy, and didn't have an ounce of empathy in his soul. While it is hard to judge the whys of his decision, the internal working of the person, the outcome is simply great. America joins the world in an area in which we have traveled far behind. Consider only the number of lost lives caused by illnesses that are not a life choice, no more sick children with conditions every parent anguishes over, no more personal bankruptcies, a phenomenon only known in America, and you have to say bravo Chief Justice.

Additional comment. Why is it so many consider law must fit their personal narrative of the world? Law fits what works, precedent, change, progress, etc etc etc. Get over it, the conservative narrative of imaginary law lost.

"Nor would it be enough to give someone "on the outside" a set of definitions because in order to grasp the meaning of an individual term, you must already have grasped the general activity in relation to which it could be thought to be meaningful... an understanding that operates above or across situations--would have no place in the world even if it were available, because it is only in situations--with their interested specifications as to what counts as a fact, what it is possible to say, what will be heard as an argument--that one is called on to understand." Stanley Fish, 'Is There a Text in This Class?'

Last edited:
I would never have guessed the outcome and I guess most people feel the same. Roberts always reminded me of the rich Catholic boy who had things too easy, and didn't have an ounce of empathy in his soul. While it is hard to judge the whys of his decision, the internal working of the person, the outcome is simply great. America joins the world in an area in which we have traveled far behind. Consider only the number of lost lives caused by illnesses that are not a life choice, no more sick children with conditions every parent anguishes over, no more personal bankruptcies, a phenomenon only known in America, and you have to say bravo Chief Justice.

add comment. Why is it so many consider law fits their narrative of the world? Law fits what works, precedent, change, progress, etc etc etc. Get over it, the conservative narrative of imaginary law lost.

"Nor would it be enough to give someone "on the outside" a set of definitions because in order to grasp the meaning of an individual term, you must already have grasped the general activity in relation to which it could be thought to be meaningful... an understanding that operates above or across situations--would have no place in the world even if it were available, because it is only in situations--with their interested specifications as to what counts as a fact, what it is possible to say, what will be heard as an argument--that one is called on to understand." Stanley Fish, 'Is There a Text in This Class?'

Regardless of how you feel about the ruling doesn't his comments bring concern to you?

Roberts comment should be a wake up call to everybody

It's most disturbing when your vote really doesn't count. And the two party's gives you what they want you to vote for.

How soon you forget.....No he didn't.

Don't you remember Kennedy dying? It was in all the papers

It's most disturbing when your vote really doesn't count. And the two party's gives you what they want you to vote for.

Your vote did count and your elected representatives overwhelmingly passed Obamacare

Your vote did count and your elected representatives overwhelmingly passed Obamacare

Overwhelmingly? Well, no. The vote was a bare squeaker and got no Republican votes at all.

Justice Roberts' opionin was a bit tortured and convoluted. It had to be in order the find the Act Constitutional. In the end, it was at least valid under the taxing authority which is exclusive to the House. His advice was sound. If you don't like this ruling, make different political choices.

The worst part of this ruling is, even when we do wipe this regime from the nation, the ruling will still stand and can still be the basis of capricious taxation in the future.

At some future date, depending on the poor choices of Americans, it is just this ruling that would be the basis for imposing the jizya on Americans. A penalty for not being muslim.

Last edited:
s-JOHN-ROBERTS-large300.jpg

What a guy!

and before this you could not stand the guy......now what?.....is he a GREAT AMERICAN because he did something you agree with?.......

Judge Roberts made an example that you can't trust anyone. Not Judges, cops, lawyers, the President, or anyone. It is up to the people (voters) to do something. Are we all going to stand together and vote this bunch out or would you continue to vote for those causing massive taxes and hardships on all of us? Whats it going to be?

How soon you forget.....No he didn't.

Don't you remember Kennedy dying? It was in all the papers

Your comment not mine

ThE bill had a 60 vote plurality of Senators voted in by "we the people"

Judge Roberts made an example that you can't trust anyone. Not Judges, cops, lawyers, the President, or anyone. It is up to the people (voters) to do something. Are we all going to stand together and vote this bunch out or would you continue to vote for those causing massive taxes and hardships on all of us? Whats it going to be?

I understand that but isn't it the Justice job to make sure all laws are constitutional that are brought before the courts?

Did? We aren't represented and 1776 was about taxation without representation. Our Congress goes through the process as if it a Representative government but it represents no one but it's special interest.

Because it's not the job of the courts to rule with political bias. When they do, Conservatives bark about 'judicial activism'.

Can't have your cake, as they say, and eat it too.

Overwhelmingly? Well, no. The vote was a bare squeaker and got no Republican votes at all.

Justice Roberts' opionin was a bit tortured and convoluted. It had to be in order the find the Act Constitutional. In the end, it was at least valid under the taxing authority which is exclusive to the House. His advice was sound. If you don't like this ruling, make different political choices.

The worst part of this ruling is, even when we do wipe this regime from the nation, the ruling will still stand and can still be the basis of capricious taxation in the future.

At some future date, depending on the poor choices of Americans, it is just this ruling that would be the basis for imposing the jizya on Americans. A penalty for not being muslim.

The law when it was a bill was misrepresented defenders of the bill said it wasn't a tax.
OH what the hell we'll talk shit for a while and continue on our marry little way.

Forum List

Back