Rise of a Third Party

If a third party candidate was an all around better choice would you vote for them?

• Total voters

ron scott

Rookie
Jan 8, 2010
Last presidential election I voted for Obama because I along with the majority felt like the Republicans were too damned full of themselves, to say the least. But I did not feel much better about Obama. This is called picking the lesser of two evils.
It seems like we have lost a real choice anymore in politics (if we ever had any?), picking the lesser of two evils is not much of a choice; thus many simply don't vote; but Bush and McCain brought out some voters, not to vote for them but against. So if the next Republican doesn't come off too blatantly arrogant and the American media wants it, I'm sure he'll get in, because it will not stimulate anyone to vote accept the usual shareholders in the Republican thing.
Where is a good alternative plan? Does it exist? Why are the many alternative parties so unpopular? Is it a lack of money? Is it mainstream medias stranglehold on the American mind? ..and can the Third Parties come together as one? Or is it time to turn the clock back and all become more independent of the government and the corporations and be more self sustainable raising our own foods and such?
Divided we are conquered - United we can do anything.

Two weevles left the cotton boll of their nativity and went on to seek their fortunes. One found a complaciant mate, and helped to infect 20 acres of cotton. The other ran into a bug zapper. Needless to say, he was called the lesser of the two weevles.

Last presidential election I voted for Obama because I along with the majority felt like the Republicans were too damned full of themselves, to say the least. But I did not feel much better about Obama. This is called picking the lesser of two evils.
It seems like we have lost a real choice anymore in politics (if we ever had any?), picking the lesser of two evils is not much of a choice; thus many simply don't vote; but Bush and McCain brought out some voters, not to vote for them but against. So if the next Republican doesn't come off too blatantly arrogant and the American media wants it, I'm sure he'll get in, because it will not stimulate anyone to vote accept the usual shareholders in the Republican thing.
Where is a good alternative plan? Does it exist? Why are the many alternative parties so unpopular? Is it a lack of money? Is it mainstream medias stranglehold on the American mind? ..and can the Third Parties come together as one? Or is it time to turn the clock back and all become more independent of the government and the corporations and be more self sustainable raising our own foods and such?

Third parties tend to be very narrow minded and centered around radical or reactionary ideology. The only viable third party would be an independent party that was open to any and all political beliefs but centered around a concrete purpose. PAGO and responsible government would split both parties and put independents in power.

Oh for God's sakes...just admit you were fooled by a liar and get on with your life.

I used to go for third party. Then Ross Perot came along, and I have seen the error of my ways.

I will always wonder though, that if Perot hadn't turned out to be so looney tunes and had not wigged out at a most inopportune time, would he have won? And I wonder how that would have turned out? As it was, he was mostly an empty suit so far as detail went, but had the charisma and personality to make people believe. But so apparently did Obama and we are seeing how that is turning out.

I think we better stick with those who are gung ho to reform the existing parties, or at least one of them, and push that one into the majority.

Third Parties never work. We have tried for 200 years without success. All a third party does is draw voters from either the Dems or the Repubs and gets the opponent elected. This is how Abe Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson and Richard Nixon got elected. It may have also cost Al Gore the 2000 election.

The way to build a third party is from the ground up not go right for the Presidency. You need to elect candidates in the statehouses, Congress and Senate before you dream of running someone for President. A third party president, if he were able to win, would have no power

Last edited:
Gotta agree RW. Third parties never seem to work. They just split voters off from either the Dems or the Reps but never get enough votes to get their candidate elected.

Nope. Don't work too well. Perot is a prime example of that. I bought into his bs also. Oh Well. Live and learn.

Last edited:

Oh for God's sakes...just admit you were fooled by a liar and get on with your life.

And you conclude this even after he told you he didn't vote for Obama he voted against the GOP because they were too full of themselves. Interesting.....

We should have the choice of "none of the above" on every ballot, federal, state and local.
A candidate should be required to get a majority of the votes to win.
If "none of the above" gets the majority, then we deserve a new election with new candidates.
Voting for the lessor of two evils has been going on too long, we deserve better.

A third party could work. But it is obvious that many of you can't think beyond two choices.

But it is obvious that many of you can't think beyond two choices.
That may be true for some people but from my perspective I see the consistent pattern of the deep pockets out there pretty much only supporting the major two. The way the system is set up right now, no third party can get enough traction through the necessary funding to be really competitive. So all a third party can do right now is be a big, fat spoiler for one of the other major two.

I used to go for third party. Then Ross Perot came along, and I have seen the error of my ways.
Don't be a fool for the demopulicratican party man/pop culture myth.

There's no saying who Perot voters would've chosen, or even whether they wouldn't have stayed home, in his absence.

They would have chosen Ron Paul

That says enough about their choices in candidates

It is becoming more obvious that I will not vote again for sometime.
Of there were a fiscal conservative who understood the threat of open borders , the Islamic threat and were willing to remove the UN from our soil.
I would vote for him or Her.

Forum List

Back