Rip up NAFTA, apply 15-20% border tariff and 10's of thousands of jobs will be recovered from Canada

Is the cost of labor that much cheaper in Canada?
No. Which begs the question, why does Canada have 100's of thousands, possibly millions of U.S jobs?

Our trade deficit with Canada is small. A large portion of Canada's exports to the US are raw materials such as oil, minerals, lumber. You can't move a Canadian lumberjack job to the US.

You can't move a Canadian lumberjack job to the US.

Why not? We moved US lumberjack jobs for the stupid spotted owl.
Bullshit. We move US lumberjack jobs because we over logged in the 80's. Also, many of the jobs in the woods and mills became mechanized, with a machine doing the work of 10 to 30 men.

With at least 10,000 jobs in the Pacific Northwest expected to be lost so as to save some of nation's oldest trees and the owls that live among them, loggers and sawmill workers here are demanding economic compensation from the Federal Government.

10,000 Are Expected to Lose Jobs to Spotted Owl
Old growth is now only 5% of the forest. Enough to provide a few jobs for a few years, and then what? We clear cut like fools, and now are paying for it. Paying for it with the loss of salmon spawning grounds, and loss of soil from the runoff on bare ground.

Take over Canada
Break into 20 states =70 American states
Use the resources to make us capable of burning nafta.
Remake a fair trade agreement with mexico and the rest of the world.
Now Mathew, the Canadians might have something to say about that. Last time we tried, it did not turn out so well.

The future is open trade, not restrictive trade. All high tariffs accomplish is retaliation and a sinking global economy.

Agree and raising prices to working class Americans (tariffs) is what drumpf wants but hurts the US in the long run.

And why don't the trumpkins get it that it's drumpf who is the globalist. See the link in my sig ...

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Trump and his team can't keep his eye off of this issue, if he does, the Democrats will sweep in and take away those who left their party and voted GOP, it's a guarantee. It is by far the #1 reason why he won the election from what I can glean. People want unfair trade deals to be eliminated and jobs to return. After he deals with Mexico and Canada, he needs to work on he China unfair file. This will be heavy lifting, but will be in the best interest of American workers and the future.

This means applying the border tariff to Canada, ripping up NAFTA (which is violated by Canada all the time anyways, as you will read from me). This will ensure American businesses avoid Canada, and, in many cases, move jobs back to America from Canada since any perceived benefit will be gone. Coupled with the tax cuts, this is a powerful antidote.

As someone who considers himself a fiscal conservative and who would never have prescribed to increased tariffs, this has to be done. Globalization requires tweaking, I've stated it before, it has become far too unequal for National economies of liberty loving nations and a massive and unequal drain of jobs from these same countries. Meaning less revenue, a withering middle class and a future that s bleak.

Furthermore, even the globalists need to understand something very important, if America fails, the world leader will be China. Not only will human rights along the world suffer from such a realisation, by osmosis, the watering down of American individualism and rights will be eroded too.

So you want to take out the 2nd LARGEST purchaser of American products MEXICO whom in 2015 purchased 257.3 BILLION in American products?

And you want to take out Canada who purchase 198.2 BILLION American products.

So once you've ripped up NAFTA and created all these jobs in America who do you think is going to buy the stuff that Americans make?

daffy+duck+stupid+people+and+aliens.jpg

Trump has really pissed off Mexico.
One Mexican legislator is calling to boycott American corn, and instead buy in from Brazil. They eat a lot of corn down there. Now what do you suppose this is going to do to American farmers here.
Mexico ready to retaliate by hurting American corn farmers

Oh no!!
Does that mean all their illegal aliens are going to go home now?

If you're to stupid to realize that the second largest purchaser of American Products in the world, believing Mexico can't hurt us--then you're dumber than shit.

Tariffs and taxes have never created a single job in this country, but they're great for job loss's. Price of the products skyrocket in a trade war, meaning more money out of American consumer pockets, while making foreign products, like foreign cars that much more attractive to American consumers.

In fact the Smoot-Hawley tariff of the 1930's during the great depression is responsible for making the depression more severe and last much longer.
Remember Smoot-Hawley: America's last trade war worsened Great Depression

66aeeff66959a10271e0be9fccc28f2c.jpg

If you're to stupid to realize that the second largest purchaser of American Products in the world, believing Mexico can't hurt us--then you're dumber than shit.

If Mexico doesn't realize that we can hurt them.....they're dumber than you!
And they can hurt us. As can Canada, and our many other trading partners. So, we all go on binge of hurt and counter-hurt. Real, real smart. Welcome to 1929 in the 21st Century.

And they can hurt us. As can Canada, and our many other trading partners.

Now we agree. So who has more to lose, us or Mexico?

No. Which begs the question, why does Canada have 100's of thousands, possibly millions of U.S jobs?

Our trade deficit with Canada is small. A large portion of Canada's exports to the US are raw materials such as oil, minerals, lumber. You can't move a Canadian lumberjack job to the US.

Bullshit. We move US lumberjack jobs because we over logged in the 80's. Also, many of the jobs in the woods and mills became mechanized, with a machine doing the work of 10 to 30 men.

With at least 10,000 jobs in the Pacific Northwest expected to be lost so as to save some of nation's oldest trees and the owls that live among them, loggers and sawmill workers here are demanding economic compensation from the Federal Government.

Old growth is now only 5% of the forest. Enough to provide a few jobs for a few years, and then what? We clear cut like fools, and now are paying for it. Paying for it with the loss of salmon spawning grounds, and loss of soil from the runoff on bare ground.

So glad that you've realized your previous error.

Trump and his team can't keep his eye off of this issue, if he does, the Democrats will sweep in and take away those who left their party and voted GOP, it's a guarantee. It is by far the #1 reason why he won the election from what I can glean. People want unfair trade deals to be eliminated and jobs to return. After he deals with Mexico and Canada, he needs to work on he China unfair file. This will be heavy lifting, but will be in the best interest of American workers and the future.

This means applying the border tariff to Canada, ripping up NAFTA (which is violated by Canada all the time anyways, as you will read from me). This will ensure American businesses avoid Canada, and, in many cases, move jobs back to America from Canada since any perceived benefit will be gone. Coupled with the tax cuts, this is a powerful antidote.

As someone who considers himself a fiscal conservative and who would never have prescribed to increased tariffs, this has to be done. Globalization requires tweaking, I've stated it before, it has become far too unequal for National economies of liberty loving nations and a massive and unequal drain of jobs from these same countries. Meaning less revenue, a withering middle class and a future that s bleak.

Furthermore, even the globalists need to understand something very important, if America fails, the world leader will be China. Not only will human rights along the world suffer from such a realisation, by osmosis, the watering down of American individualism and rights will be eroded too.

So you want to take out the 2nd LARGEST purchaser of American products MEXICO whom in 2015 purchased 257.3 BILLION in American products?

So once you've ripped up NAFTA and created all these jobs in America who do you think is going to buy the stuff that Americans make?

One Mexican legislator is calling to boycott American corn, and instead buy in from Brazil. They eat a lot of corn down there. Now what do you suppose this is going to do to American farmers here.

Oh no!!
If Mexico starts buying corn from South America, we have a whole lot of farmers who will suffer. If Mexico starts adding additional taxes to those of us Americans who own property in mexico, we will have a whole lot of pissed off Americans

How is it possible that so many Americans still don't know the reality of NAFTA?

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Trump is one man, lets remember we still have the idiots in congress to deal with. Congress has allowed other countries to steal our jobs for decades.

Look, congress uses our jobs as currency, they trade our jobs to other countries for favors and kickbacks, or to benefit a donor or special interest group. This corruption has laid waste to entire industries in the USA.

I wish Trump luck but people lets remember, he's fighting the DC establishment a corrupt cesspool.
I am still wondering how we trade jobs to other countries. Obviously you don't know either, but it looks good on paper

That's because you are uninformed. How do you think the US gets China to vote the way we want them to vote in the UN security council...BINGO! This is not a partisan issue, BOTH parties are engaged in trading US jobs like poker chips.
I still don't know how to trade a job. Would you please tell us how it is done?

When China dumps steel on the US market at below their cost to bankrupt US steel companies...and the US government does nothing to stop them, what does that suggest to you? I'm 99.9% sure you are just a troll but some other forum member may actually be interested in discussing an important issue so I'll indulge your faux questions a while longer.
Yes, under President Obama we did put a tariff on the steel they were dumping. Steel that Trump bought to build with.

How does another country "steal" our jobs? No, we seek out cheap labor and those places where we can pollute to hearts content

:itsok: if you want to reduce pollution look no further than Dem run cities. Seattle recently spilled over 200 million gallons of putrid untreated human sewage into Puget Sound, they had to close the beaches it was that nasty.
What exactly does a democratic run city have to do with this tragedy, Homer. If everything political to you

You were trying to fake concern over pollution by corporations. I pointed out real pollution, pollution on a huge scale occurring right now. I'm not surprised you don't care, I sensed your concern was fake from the get go.
Corporate polluting is done on purpose, what happened in WA was not done on purpose. See the difference

It was willful negligence, and they had two spills in a single month. The same willful negligence is going on to the south in Dem run Portland, OR. And all over the US in Dem run cities as Dem's refuse to fix their sewage systems, they have for decades, the EPA looks the other way while they pollute public waterways. Portland Dem's chose to spend billions on light rail instead of fixing their 100 year old sewage system.

If a corporation were this willfully negligent you libs would be calling for criminal investigations. Why yes I am rubbing your nose in the rotting festering stench of Dem hypocrisy.
You stupid lying fuck. Here is Portland we have been working on that for a decade or more. I have actually worked construction on some of those plants. And we are building more as we post. We also have an increasing population as we are seen as a desirable place to live, as is Seattle.

Oh no!!

Tariffs and taxes have never created a single job in this country, but they're great for job loss's. Price of the products skyrocket in a trade war, meaning more money out of American consumer pockets, while making foreign products, like foreign cars that much more attractive to American consumers.

In fact the Smoot-Hawley tariff of the 1930's during the great depression is responsible for making the depression more severe and last much longer.

You know there is no winners in a trade war only levels of loosing... I think the point people are making here is US would probably loose more in a trade war... Look at the type of items US sells in Mexico, they can be sourced in other places while the items bought from Mexico(agricultural products) will cost significantly more to source from somewhere else... So the US consumer will just have to pay extra....

The future is open trade, not restrictive trade. All high tariffs accomplish is retaliation and a sinking global economy.
Why do you always ignore points that make your rant false? Like for example, we are talking about FAIR trade. Why leave that word out? Can you tell us? I won't hold my breath.
How do tariffs result in fair trade? History teaches us that they lead to a decrease in trade. What's fair about that?

Trump is one man, lets remember we still have the idiots in congress to deal with. Congress has allowed other countries to steal our jobs for decades.

Look, congress uses our jobs as currency, they trade our jobs to other countries for favors and kickbacks, or to benefit a donor or special interest group. This corruption has laid waste to entire industries in the USA.

I wish Trump luck but people lets remember, he's fighting the DC establishment a corrupt cesspool.
How does another country "steal" our jobs? No, we seek out cheap labor and those places where we can pollute to hearts content

:itsok: if you want to reduce pollution look no further than Dem run cities. Seattle recently spilled over 200 million gallons of putrid untreated human sewage into Puget Sound, they had to close the beaches it was that nasty.

Fake news !

That was an accident as a result of a big storm .

Trump purposely undoes a reg that now allows coal companies to throw their pollution into local
Streams .
Mountain top removal is one of the dirtiest forms of mining ever done by man. And the orange clown has given the coal companies a pass to destroy entire watersheds.

Learn more about mountaintop removal coal mining

RECLAMATION

While reclamation efforts are required by federal law, coal companies often receive waivers from state agencies with the idea that economic development will occur on the newly flattened land. In reality, most sites receive little more than a spraying of exotic grass seed, and less than 3 percent of reclaimed mountaintop removal sites are used for economic development. According to a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency impact statement on mountaintop removal in Appalachia, it may take hundreds of years for a forest to re-establish itself on the mine site.
ovec_mtr12_0.jpg

Images of Mountaintop Removal Mining

This is the stupidest idea that I have ever heard of. Ronald Reagan gave us one of the longest peacetime expansion of the economy in history. Yet some people want to emulate Herbert Hoover who gave us a depression. The fact is that the output of goods manufactured in this country has never been higher even with fewer people making them. It is something called productivity.

The fact is that some goods were made overseas even before NAFTA. A tariff would be harmful to lower middle class and poor people. While there is poverty in this country, it is hardly as bad as it is in other countries. One of the reasons is cheap goods. Goods that are made in the US are available. Even Glenn Beck has a line of American made clothing. The strategy of American auto companies is simple. Autos that have high profit margins are generally made in the US. Cars with low profit margins are assembled in countries like Mexico. If these cars were made in the US, prices would be higher and lower income people would be priced out of the market. That means that more jobs would not be created because lower sales would cause the auto company to drop the car. Same thing with clothing. Higher prices and fewer sales would hurt American retailers like Walmart which would lead to job losses.

Tariffs are nothing but the government trying to manipulate the economy. Amazing how some people claim to be conservatives and want the government to manage the economy.

Oh no!!

You know there is no winners in a trade war only levels of loosing... I think the point people are making here is US would probably loose more in a trade war... Look at the type of items US sells in Mexico, they can be sourced in other places while the items bought from Mexico(agricultural products) will cost significantly more to source from somewhere else... So the US consumer will just have to pay extra....

I think the point people are making here is US would probably loose more in a trade war.

And I don't think that's the case.
We exported $231 billion to Mexico last year, less than 1.25% of our GDP.
They exported $294 billion to the US, nearly 28% of their GDP.
81.1% of their exports were to the US, 15.7% of ours were to Mexico.

Maybe they should try to get along with Trump?

upload_2017-2-26_22-27-50.png

He's just crazy enough to do it.......

Oh no!!

I think the point people are making here is US would probably loose more in a trade war.

And I don't think that's the case.
We exported $231 billion to Mexico last year, less than 1.25% of our GDP.
They exported $294 billion to the US, nearly 28% of their GDP.
81.1% of their exports were to the US, 15.7% of ours were to Mexico.

Maybe they should try to get along with Trump?

View attachment 114409

He's just crazy enough to do it.......

Mexico was handed everything on a silver platter and now they don't want to give any of it up.....the best thing Trump can do is fully repeal NAFTA and start over on a country to country basis. Canada is willing to do so, Mexico is not

All the technical reviews that I have seen on how the border tax is supposed to work indicate that the corporate income tax will be the mechanism rather than the tariff.

Export revenue shall become tax exempt.

And cost of goods sold from imports will be non-deductible.

Hence exporters get a huge tax break while importers get a huge tax hike.

To help finance the tax cut side of it, corporate interest expense will become nondeductible as well.

This is the stupidest idea that I have ever heard of. Ronald Reagan gave us one of the longest peacetime expansion of the economy in history. Yet some people want to emulate Herbert Hoover who gave us a depression. The fact is that the output of goods manufactured in this country has never been higher even with fewer people making them. It is something called productivity.

The fact is that some goods were made overseas even before NAFTA. A tariff would be harmful to lower middle class and poor people. While there is poverty in this country, it is hardly as bad as it is in other countries. One of the reasons is cheap goods. Goods that are made in the US are available. Even Glenn Beck has a line of American made clothing. The strategy of American auto companies is simple. Autos that have high profit margins are generally made in the US. Cars with low profit margins are assembled in countries like Mexico. If these cars were made in the US, prices would be higher and lower income people would be priced out of the market. That means that more jobs would not be created because lower sales would cause the auto company to drop the car. Same thing with clothing. Higher prices and fewer sales would hurt American retailers like Walmart which would lead to job losses.

Tariffs are nothing but the government trying to manipulate the economy. Amazing how some people claim to be conservatives and want the government to manage the economy.
Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan were both morons when it came to international macro-economics.

Between the two of them they gave away the store.

Why do you always ignore points that make your rant false? Like for example, we are talking about FAIR trade. Why leave that word out? Can you tell us? I won't hold my breath.
How do tariffs result in fair trade? History teaches us that they lead to a decrease in trade. What's fair about that?
The US Govt does not plan to use tariffs.

They plan to use the corporate income tax as a tariff instead.

When you clear cut the forest will eventually come back, it just takes a long time.

If you mandate replanting then the forest comes back faster.

If you don't cut at all then the forest will just burn to the ground eventually -- for nothing -- and also a hazard to itself and neighboring communities.

Forum List

Back