Right wing philistines

Last art history A-level axed after Michael Gove cull of 'soft' subjects

Its a British story but I think it applies across the world.

Apparently we dont need to know about the history of art anymore. It obviously doesnt feed the corporate machine like more "relevant" subjects such as maths or computing.

What sort of world view is this ?

Creative people help explain our world and we should encourage them.
The history of art tells the history of mankind.
Obviously not relevant in todays hi tech world.

It is very possible fotr creative people to make a living in their art. Very few succeed. For every published writer there are thousands with drawers full of rejection slips. For every artist with salable art there are thousands with attics and garages filled to the rafters with canvases.

There is a market. Just not a huge one.

My Uncle Steve was a sheet metal worker by trade. He was laid off from one job and did a "foreigner" making some gates for a mate. He found it a real pleasure and ended up making a living from it. He had an artistic side that had never had an outlet.
Nobody had ever encouraged him and he was in his 30s before he realised his talents.
Creativity is not just writing a poem or painting a portrait. Its an absolutely massive market.
How many thousand artistic sheet metal workers are there?

.....Creative people help explain our world and we should encourage them.

Every "Creative" person I know is on Government assistance because they cannot hold down a real job. If people want to be "Creative", do it on their own time and their own dime. There are plenty of fiscally responsible ways to do that, but most "Artists" seem to prefer to collect from Uncle Sam when their arts fail to put food on the table or a roof over their heads.

Honestly, if we ever got to meet one of these people you claim to know, I'd bet $1,000 the description of their life is nowhere close to what you have laid bare here.

Forum List

Back