Right wing philistines

Last art history A-level axed after Michael Gove cull of 'soft' subjects

Its a British story but I think it applies across the world.

Apparently we dont need to know about the history of art anymore. It obviously doesnt feed the corporate machine like more "relevant" subjects such as maths or computing.

What sort of world view is this ?

Creative people help explain our world and we should encourage them.
Indeed. We should encourage expression whether we like it or not, whether we agree with it or not.

It gives us the opportunity to not only discuss and debate issues, but to identity those with whom we would rather not associate.

Unfortunately, there are people who want to impose their standards on others by inhibiting, intimidating, obstructing or even eliminating opposing views.

And, as we all know, these people exist on both ends of the political spectrum.

Apparently we dont need to know about the history of art anymore. It obviously doesnt feed the corporate machine like more "relevant" subjects such as maths or computing.

Indeed. We should encourage expression whether we like it or not, whether we agree with it or not.

It gives us the opportunity to not only discuss and debate issues, but to identity those with whom we would rather not associate.

Unfortunately, there are people who want to impose their standards on others by inhibiting, intimidating, obstructing or even eliminating opposing views.

And, as we all know, these people exist on both ends of the political spectrum.
I think there has been a general move in education to value the functional to the exclusion of everything else. We are poorer for it.

then send your kids to the type of art they want to learn, after school.

oh, you want other people to pay for it?

tough shit

And now for something somewhat more accurate :)

It was the examination board, AQA, that decided to drop History of Art - they are the philistines! The DofE only wanted the course restructured.

AQA dropped it because so few state schools offered the course in the first place - more philistines! - that fewer than 1000 students (most from the public school system) took the exam last year and AQA say that makes it expensive to run. They also justified their decision on the basis of some weird nonsense about it being a difficult subject and their interest in students getting/deserving 'good grades' - i.e. the course required work and commitment and the poor little snowflakes weren't, by and large, obtaining great grades.

Sad as it is, one doesn't, and never has, needed History of Art at A level to study it at uni, it has never been a requirement.

Many lefty philistines are absolutely thrilled with this outcome, as HofA was overwhelmingly seen as the preserve of public schools anyway, and was/is viewed as elitist.

Now our predominantly leftard state schools won't have to make excuses for why they weren't interested in teaching kids about (largely) Western culture throughout the ages and can get on with the shite they prefer to indoctrinate our young with.

Last edited:

Yes they do help explain the world.

But you have no problem with the total destruction of antiquities and history occurring in the middle east.

Artists lives matter.

But you have no problem with the total destruction of antiquities and history occurring in the middle east.

Artists lives matter.

While my dad was a clerk near the frontlines during WWII, he bought back three teacups from the ruins of Pompeii. I thought they were so valuable, I kept them until I was almost forty and over the hill. I finally called Sotheby's and they broke my bubble. They ain't worth nuthin'. So I dumped them with the rest of my garbage. Jesus said sell everything you own and then you will have what will set you free.

"Sell everything you have, and come, follow me" Free Reprint Article

Last edited:

tough shit
I couldnt invent a better example of ignorance. Thank you.

Artists lives matter.
Why do you make things up. Isis have destroyed huge chunks of the middle east. Who would support such activity ?

tough shit
so you want schools to teach what you want them to, not what the kid wants to learn.

something private classes would guarantee.

you're such a fool and don't even know it

tough shit
so you want schools to teach what you want them to, not what the kid wants to learn.

You miss the point in spectacular fashion. The state schools should provide opportunities that poorer parents cannot afford. We all benefit from that.

tough shit

You miss the point in spectacular fashion. The state schools should provide opportunities that poorer parents cannot afford. We all benefit from that.
Britain doesn't have a public library system?

Get a fucking book and read it.

tough shit

Our libraries are also under threat from our fuckwit government who are closing them down at an accelerated rate. Of course reading in a library is no substitute for a structured course. Where did you pick up your limited education ?

tough shit

The vast majority of state schools weren't teaching it - too elitist - so it's the fault of their own inverted snobbery. Philistines!

tough shit

The vast majority of state schools weren't teaching it - too elitist - so it's the fault of their own inverted snobbery. Philistines!
Bollocks. They probably couldnt afford it. Its the same with Latin and Greek. Appreciation of Art is not a preserve of the rich.

tough shit

Our libraries are also under threat from our fuckwit government who are closing them down at an accelerated rate. Of course reading in a library is no substitute for a structured course. Where did you pick up your limited education ?
California state University, Whittier Law School.

I read widely on subjects other than in a scholastic setting. Art history is a waste of time. It should not be taught except as a separate and separately paid for course.

When the libraries are empty and unused they will be closed.

tough shit

/\/\/\ This is the American attitude nowadays, and it's why we're worse off. "Other people in society don't affect society. So fuck em'. I got mine."

California state University, Whittier Law School.

I read widely on subjects other than in a scholastic setting. Art history is a waste of time. It should not be taught except as a separate and separately paid for course.

When the libraries are empty and unused they will be closed.
You are too thick to have attended any seat of learning. Jog on you stupid prick.

Forum List

Back