Right to BEAR arms upheld in Federal Appeals Court

Circe

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2013
Aeaea
NRA-ILA | Federal Appeals Court Confirms Second Amendment Protects Right to Carry in Public

FAIRFAX, Va. – The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action applauded (NRA-ILA) a ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday [July 24, 2018] that confirmed the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self-defense.

“This is a critical issue for law-abiding gun owners who want to exercise their right to self-defense outside the home,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA. “The Second Amendment clearly protects the right to bear arms in public.”

The ruling reversed a decision by a Hawaii district court that upheld Hawaii’s ban on carriage outside the home.
*****************************************************************************************

This court is the three-judge Ninth Circuit, and the decision could be appealed to the full 9th Circuit Federal Appeals Court, which is considered the furthest left appeals court in the country.

After that it presumably will be appealed to the Supreme Court at some point, because federal appeals courts have found both ways, for and against more freedom to bear arms.

This Hawaii case turned on the word "bear." The Constitution did not say we are free to "keep" arms, meaning inside the home, perhaps: it said we had the right to "bear" arms, meaning carry.

NRA-ILA | Federal Appeals Court Confirms Second Amendment Protects Right to Carry in Public

FAIRFAX, Va. – The National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action applauded (NRA-ILA) a ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday [July 24, 2018] that confirmed the Second Amendment protects the right to carry a firearm outside the home for self-defense.

“This is a critical issue for law-abiding gun owners who want to exercise their right to self-defense outside the home,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director, NRA-ILA. “The Second Amendment clearly protects the right to bear arms in public.”

The ruling reversed a decision by a Hawaii district court that upheld Hawaii’s ban on carriage outside the home.
*****************************************************************************************

This court is the three-judge Ninth Circuit, and the decision could be appealed to the full 9th Circuit Federal Appeals Court, which is considered the furthest left appeals court in the country.

After that it presumably will be appealed to the Supreme Court at some point, because federal appeals courts have found both ways, for and against more freedom to bear arms.

This Hawaii case turned on the word "bear." The Constitution did not say we are free to "keep" arms, meaning inside the home, perhaps: it said we had the right to "bear" arms, meaning carry.
It should be fun when the open carrying thug encounters the open carrying walmart redneck on the street. What's the accuracy rate of handguns in live shootings? I heard it's less than 50%. Where do the rest of those defensive bullets go? Probably defending someone else out there.

It should be fun when the open carrying thug encounters the open carrying walmart redneck on the street. What's the accuracy rate of handguns in live shootings? I heard it's less than 50%. Where do the rest of those defensive bullets go? Probably defending someone else out there.

That's the thing, isn't it? It's obvious we are going more and more Wild West, between the Stand Your Ground laws and the increase in concealed and open carry permissions. I'm expecting a tipping point when people realize they had BETTER carry a gun in public. Even women? Sure.

The result has already occurred -- a whole lot less going around in public. Malls empty, restaurants like the Red Hen mob and attack their customers, movie theaters closing. Local stores not patronized, goods bought from Amazon instead. Too much crime. Maybe we should all carry guns.
This is the direction things are going now.
What do people think?

That's the thing, isn't it? It's obvious we are going more and more Wild West, between the Stand Your Ground laws and the increase in concealed and open carry permissions. I'm expecting a tipping point when people realize they had BETTER carry a gun in public. Even women? Sure.

The result has already occurred -- a whole lot less going around in public. Malls empty, restaurants like the Red Hen mob and attack their customers, movie theaters closing. Local stores not patronized, goods bought from Amazon instead. Too much crime. Maybe we should all carry guns.
What do people think?

The 9th court is the highest overturned court in the nation. I think we can see why. It flies in the face of current
Supreme Court Rulings.

I just got finished reading the whole ruling. If it is allowed to stand, all gun laws are thrown right out the window. No licenses, no CCW, nothing. Everyone can strap on a gun on their hip and go anywhere they want. This will include bars where they will get drunk. You are going to have a bar full of armed Drunks on your hands. That can't come out well.

Usually, the 9th court rules too far to the left side of things and their rulings have to be overturned by the next higher court. This time they took it all the way to the extreme right. It's like they wanted to be like the person that woke up one morning and said to himself, "What can I invent to really piss off the most people the quickest" so he invented the Bagpipes. I can't even see the NRA supporting this law but they do. I guess they have one hell of a reading retention problem these days. I guess the one that is found innocent by the stand your ground law is the survivor and the one dead is obviously the guilty. In a couple of states, we aren't far from that now.

The word by itself has two equal meanings. One is to carry. The other is to keep. It appears our founding fathers meant the keep not the carry meaning. We have the right to Keep Arms.

Alaska has had open carry forever. It's not at all uncommon to see a gun on the hip, and it's almost expected to see a gun in the truck window. We have a very high carry rate up here; think it was 80% in the city, 95% out of the city.

Our businesses, for the most part, don't lose customers because of it, people on the street don't freak out about it, and really other than folks being a shit ton more friendly, open carry hasn't caused any real problems.

What do people think?

The 9th court is the highest overturned court in the nation. I think we can see why. It flies in the face of current
Supreme Court Rulings.

I just got finished reading the whole ruling. If it is allowed to stand, all gun laws are thrown right out the window. No licenses, no CCW, nothing. Everyone can strap on a gun on their hip and go anywhere they want. This will include bars where they will get drunk. You are going to have a bar full of armed Drunks on your hands. That can't come out well.

Usually, the 9th court rules too far to the left side of things and their rulings have to be overturned by the next higher court. This time they took it all the way to the extreme right. It's like they wanted to be like the person that woke up one morning and said to himself, "What can I invent to really piss off the most people the quickest" so he invented the Bagpipes. I can't even see the NRA supporting this law but they do. I guess they have one hell of a reading retention problem these days. I guess the one that is found innocent by the stand your ground law is the survivor and the one dead is obviously the guilty. In a couple of states, we aren't far from that now.

Actually the 9th isn't the most overturned Court, but that doesn't matter. The case was only heard by a three judge panel. It will probably be appealed, but for now it is an interesting ruling.

i got a 10 minute youtube of the state at oral

no wonder they lost

they claimed that it was not a ban

although NOT ONE single permit was issued

here it is

in addition

they tried to carry concealed carry over to open carry

How to Lose a Lawsuit in 10 Minutes or Less

The word by itself has two equal meanings. One is to carry. The other is to keep. It appears our founding fathers meant the keep not the carry meaning. We have the right to Keep Arms.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

KEEP and BEAR arms. Keep means to own, and Bear means to carry on your person. Learn some English.

no wonder they lost

here it is

in addition

Wow. The Hawaii rep SUCKED. He went in completely unprepared thinking he would be preaching to the choir. What a putz.

Alaska has had open carry forever. It's not at all uncommon to see a gun on the hip, and it's almost expected to see a gun in the truck window. We have a very high carry rate up here; think it was 80% in the city, 95% out of the city.

Our businesses, for the most part, don't lose customers because of it, people on the street don't freak out about it, and really other than folks being a shit ton more friendly, open carry hasn't caused any real problems.

I lived there for 3 years. What you don't have is very many people. Plus, at any time, you can have a wild animal waltz into your bedroom in the middle of the night. And even in Alaska, your right to a firearm is not absolute. There are many limits. But you do have the right to openly carry as long as you do it within the State Guidelines.

It does appear there is a push for the common sense gun regulations that are sweeping the rest of the nation. So don't be surprised if those go into affect. But only if the State of Alaska wants it. I learned a long time ago not to try and force an Alaskan to do anything even if they wanted to do it in the first place.

I lived there for 3 years. What you don't have is very many people. Plus, at any time, you can have a wild animal waltz into your bedroom in the middle of the night. And even in Alaska, your right to a firearm is not absolute. There are many limits. But you do have the right to openly carry as long as you do it within the State Guidelines.

It does appear there is a push for the common sense gun regulations that are sweeping the rest of the nation. So don't be surprised if those go into affect. But only if the State of Alaska wants it. I learned a long time ago not to try and force an Alaskan to do anything even if they wanted to do it in the first place.

That's true, but the majority of the people live within a very small geographic area. I have friends who have lived in Homer, and Fairbanks for decades, and they have no issues with open carry at all.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

KEEP and BEAR arms. Keep means to own, and Bear means to carry on your person. Learn some English.

Bear also means to keep. One thing I have always said about the 2nd amendment, it's too easy to interpret it any way you want to.

no wonder they lost

here it is

in addition

Wow. The Hawaii rep SUCKED. He went in completely unprepared thinking he would be preaching to the choir. What a putz.

indeed --LOL-- that is why Hawaii was chosen to get in front of the liberal 9th

to counter heller

they can ask for a full review with the the judges of the 9th

but it is unlikely to be granted

Bear also means to keep. One thing I have always said about the 2nd amendment, it's too easy to interpret it any way you want to.

Then why does the Amendment use BOTH words? Your interpretation makes zero sense.

That's true, but the majority of the people live within a very small geographic area. I have friends who have lived in Homer, and Fairbanks for decades, and they have no issues with open carry at all.

Been to Homer and Fairbanks. There is a reason that it's open carry. It's too cold to put that cold piece of metal in your pocket. You would freeze your gonads off.

no wonder they lost

here it is

in addition

indeed --LOL

they can ask for a full review with the the judges of the 9th

but it is unlikely to be granted

Based on his poor showing I agree with you. I was watching the body language of the judges and they were offended at his lack of prep. That's a huge error on his part.

Been to Homer and Fairbanks. There is a reason that it's open carry. It's too cold to put that cold piece of metal in your pocket. You would freeze your gonads off.

Homer isn't bad at all. Fairbanks I agree with you, but Homer is nice most of the year.

Then why does the Amendment use BOTH words? Your interpretation makes zero sense.

And including it that way also makes no sense.

Forum List

Back