Rick Santorum: Rape Victims Should 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation'

precisely!

All but the most absurd pro-lifers find the concept of forcing a woman to carry the product of rape to conception to be completely reprehensible.

On top of the physical and psychological strain of being sexually assaulted, I can't imagine the physical and psychological strain of forcing a woman to carry a rapist's child.

Only a sadistic fuck would do something like that.

Just where did someone say a woman should be FORCED to carry a child of rape.

I had a friend who didn't abort her child of rape. has a fine young son today...

You never know! I had a friend that didn't abort her child of rape but chose to have it and raise it. The result was HORRENDOUS. The child suffered her entire life until her suicide at 17. The mother lost everything she had burying herself in alcoholism and died two years after her daughter.

Then there is Jaycee Dugard who really was forced to have three children by her rapist and didn't want to be separated from them.

There is no way to know which you will end up with. My objection isn't so much abortion, but the intense pressure put on women to have an abortion.

This guy is out of his mind.

Rick Santorum On Opposition To Abortion In Cases Of Rape: 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation'

GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum explained his opposition to abortion even in cases of rape during an interview Friday, saying that women who face such circumstances should "make the best out of a bad situation."

Asked by CNN's Piers Morgan what he would do if his own daughter approached him, begging for an abortion after having been raped, Santorum explained that he would counsel her to "accept this horribly created" baby, because it was still a gift from God, even if given in a "broken" way.

"Well, you can make the argument that if she doesn't have this baby, if she kills her child, that that, too, could ruin her life. And this is not an easy choice, I understand that. As horrible as the way that that son or daughter and son was created, it still is her child. And whether she has that child or she doesn't, it will always be her child, and she will always know that," Santorum said.

Plenty of Women have done just that. Had the Kid and Made a good thing out of a bad one. What's wrong with that? Why do you have to want all children of Rape to be Aborted?

What is wrong about what he said? it is still her Child. Just because some asshole rapped her does not mean half the DNA that made the kid wasn't hers. It does not mean if she has the kid she wont love it. Some might not, Some might. Woman should make the Decision on a case by case Basis. But I see no problem with encouraging woman to think about Keeping the kid, and trying to find something good that come out of something so bad. Like a Child to love and cherish.

My mother was a product of a rape. I didn't find out until I was in my thirties, well after my thoughts on abortion. She was a delightful good mother and person. Thank God this happened before wholesale abortions. Where would she or I be?

I had a friend who didn't abort her child of rape. has a fine young son today...

What are Rick Santorum's views on abortion?

Where did he say his views should have the force of law?

We know that women who really are forced to have the children of rapists and then forced to raise them become perfectly good and loving mothers who love their children and don't want to be separated from them.

Some women won't.

There is no equality.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtHkDDqexHs&feature=player_embedded]Santorum: No Rape or Incest Exceptions - YouTube[/ame]

QUESTION: Do you believe that there should be any legal exceptions for rape or incest when it comes to abortion?

SANTORUM: I believe that life begins at conception, and that that life should be guaranteed under the Constitution. That is a person.

QUESTION: So even in the case of rape or incest, that would be taking a life?

SANTORUM: That would be taking a life, and I believe that any doctor that performs an abortion, I would advocate that any doctor that performs an abortion, should be criminally charged for doing so.

I can respect what he has to say a heck of a lot more than the pandering frontrunners.
Romney says rich people should pay less in taxes.
Santorum says if he personally rapes a woman she should be forced by law to bear his child.

And you pick Santorum?

Really?

Romney now says that he doesn't respect a woman's right to choose either. He did before and now he doesn't. He lies a lot.

Newt now has religion as well. It is because of people like the ugly and vicious Newt that I left the catholic church.

My point was that Rick Santorum has the courage of his convictions and has consistently put his beliefs out there not matter what the consequences. The frontrunners are opportunists and will say whatever they feel voters want to hear at the moment.

Read for comprehension.

I got what you meant. And I thought you made some rational points - which makes a pleasant change from the overly emotional hysteria that many in this thread are exhibiting.

I respect him for his views. I disagree with him, won't vote for him... but I wasn't gonna anyway so no loss for him.

I think Romney's issue is similar to mine. I'm pro-life... I believe abortion is murder. But I don't see how I have the right to force that view on anyone else. But... to me... abortion is not a federal issue... it's for each state to decide - for it's citizen's to decide.

Well, I completely disagree with Santorum of course, but he's not out of his mind. He's a devout Catholic being logically consistent. I've always used exactly that test to distinguish the genuine pro-life people who really, truly do believe that abortion is murder, from those whose real motivation is to shove women back into the kitchen and avoid encouraging slutty behavior.

Given the assumption that the embryo is a person with a right to life, Santorum is absolutely right: to kill it is a greater crime than the rape that engendered it. A truly, sincerely pro-life person will not make an exception for an embryo conceived in rape or incest, only to save the mother's life.

I understand and agree with California Girl's visceral reaction to the idea. But that reference to the "real world" amounts to a tacit acknowledgement that the embryo is not, in fact, a person with a right to life. Because otherwise, horrible as it is to force a rape victim to bear the rapist's child, murdering the child would be worse. So only if, in the real world, aborting the embryo would NOT be murdering the child -- only if that's a theological fantasy -- would preserving the rape victim from that trauma be the greater good.

Rick Santorum On Opposition To Abortion In Cases Of Rape: 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation'

GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum explained his opposition to abortion even in cases of rape during an interview Friday, saying that women who face such circumstances should "make the best out of a bad situation."

Asked by CNN's Piers Morgan what he would do if his own daughter approached him, begging for an abortion after having been raped, Santorum explained that he would counsel her to "accept this horribly created" baby, because it was still a gift from God, even if given in a "broken" way.

"Well, you can make the argument that if she doesn't have this baby, if she kills her child, that that, too, could ruin her life. And this is not an easy choice, I understand that. As horrible as the way that that son or daughter and son was created, it still is her child. And whether she has that child or she doesn't, it will always be her child, and she will always know that," Santorum said.

Knowing your history of language. I doubt you give a crap about rape victims.

All but the most absurd pro-lifers find the concept of forcing a woman to carry the product of rape to conception to be completely reprehensible.

On top of the physical and psychological strain of being sexually assaulted, I can't imagine the physical and psychological strain of forcing a woman to carry a rapist's child.

Only a sadistic fuck would do something like that.

You never know! I had a friend that didn't abort her child of rape but chose to have it and raise it. The result was HORRENDOUS. The child suffered her entire life until her suicide at 17. The mother lost everything she had burying herself in alcoholism and died two years after her daughter.

Then there is Jaycee Dugard who really was forced to have three children by her rapist and didn't want to be separated from them.

There is no way to know which you will end up with. My objection isn't so much abortion, but the intense pressure put on women to have an abortion.

What I honestly don't understand is why we never talk about the third option.... adoption. Personally, I think giving a child up because you cannot keep it or do not want it is an incredibly selfless and amazing thing to do. My family is a little bit bigger - and a whole lot better - because we have adopted kids in it. Whoever their birth mother was, I'd like to thank her. She made our family a better one because of what she chose to do.

Why is it that women find aborting a better option? I don't get that.

What I honestly don't understand is why we never talk about the third option.... adoption. Personally, I think giving a child up because you cannot keep it or do not want it is an incredibly selfless and amazing thing to do. My family is a little bit bigger - and a whole lot better - because we have adopted kids in it. Whoever their birth mother was, I'd like to thank her. She made our family a better one because of what she chose to do.

Adoption is not a viable option for women that don't want to be pregnant and don't want to go through the pregnancy process. Giving up an unwanted child isn't at all selfless nor is it amazing. It is simply giving away something you never wanted in the first place. Going through a pregnancy to give up the child at the end is what's selfless and amazing. Today with the ease in which adopted children can track down a biological parent makes adoption that much less attractive. A woman that knows that a child may be able to come back years later, after the trauma is over, and start it all again makes adoption unattractive.

Plenty of Women have done just that. Had the Kid and Made a good thing out of a bad one. What's wrong with that? Why do you have to want all children of Rape to be Aborted?

What is wrong about what he said? it is still her Child. Just because some asshole rapped her does not mean half the DNA that made the kid wasn't hers. It does not mean if she has the kid she wont love it. Some might not, Some might. Woman should make the Decision on a case by case Basis. But I see no problem with encouraging woman to think about Keeping the kid, and trying to find something good that come out of something so bad. Like a Child to love and cherish.

My mother was a product of a rape. I didn't find out until I was in my thirties, well after my thoughts on abortion. She was a delightful good mother and person. Thank God this happened before wholesale abortions. Where would she or I be?

You would never know, would you?

Well, that's what happens when you think with your glands instead of your brain. See if you can fix that, please.

This coming from someone quoting Herbert Spencer... who was against women's suffrage in his later years because women tended to vote for authoritarian leaders and thereby obstruct the natural progress towards an egalitarian society. He also believed women shouldn't use their heads to think because it took away energy from breeding.

And you know what? Looking at the way women as a group vote, y'have to wonder if he didn't have a point.

Well, you have the option of not voting, if you feel that way.

Adoption is not a viable option for women that don't want to be pregnant and don't want to go through the pregnancy process. Giving up an unwanted child isn't at all selfless nor is it amazing. It is simply giving away something you never wanted in the first place. Going through a pregnancy to give up the child at the end is what's selfless and amazing. Today with the ease in which adopted children can track down a biological parent makes adoption that much less attractive. A woman that knows that a child may be able to come back years later, after the trauma is over, and start it all again makes adoption unattractive.

You actually made my point - give up a few months of your life to carry the child, and give it up to loving parents. What is not selfless or amazing about that? Whether she wants it or not is immaterial... that she would do it is what makes it selfless.

And, a simple letter saying she wants no contact is a pretty straightforward way to let the kid know not to try. But... I do think we should have tighter controls on children tracing parents - to protect both from the trauma and hurt.

I can respect what he has to say a heck of a lot more than the pandering frontrunners.
Santorum says if he personally rapes a woman she should be forced by law to bear his child.

And you pick Santorum?

Really?

Romney now says that he doesn't respect a woman's right to choose either. He did before and now he doesn't. He lies a lot.

Newt now has religion as well. It is because of people like the ugly and vicious Newt that I left the catholic church.

My point was that Rick Santorum has the courage of his convictions and has consistently put his beliefs out there not matter what the consequences. The frontrunners are opportunists and will say whatever they feel voters want to hear at the moment.

Read for comprehension

:clap2:

And you know what? Looking at the way women as a group vote, y'have to wonder if he didn't have a point.

Ann Coulter has similar views.

Oh...well... Ann Coulter. Clearly she speaks for ALL women. Clearly she demonstrates that all women are bat shit crazy and hate themselves on a deep level.

Yah, Ann represents me on EVERY level. She reminds me of someone on cocaine,when she speaks. And I'm not trying to be funny; I'm serious. Fortunately for this country, few people take her seriously.

Sorry Political Chic-no offense. I respect the hell out of you, as you're a bright bulb. I just don't agree with Dr. Coulter. She's entertaining.

She can get your attention, as you'll be laughing, OMGing, and shaking your head simultaneously.

While I totally get what you're saying... the simple fact is that it is an outrage to force a woman in that situation to have the child. It's fine and dandy in theory... but it's real life to some women. I would hope that they would have the courage to have the child and put it up for adoption... but never in a million years would I dare look that woman in the eye and say 'you MUST have this kid'. And I am seriously pro life. To me, there would be no decision... but I am not other women and they have the right to choose differently. That's part of being a conservative.

Oh I agree 100% and would never support Forcing them into it. I support Abortion in some cases. Rape being one for sure, But I do think we should encourage alternatives to it.

Lots of talk here about women's rights, but what about the rights of the unborn child? Why do we award the most basic of all human rights to a newborn baby but not to the same human baby 5 minutes before birth? Why should the fact that the baby is now separated from it's mother make a difference, that new life has just as much potential and future as a human being before birth as after. The circumstances of the baby's conception are not the fault of the baby; I see no reason to deny the baby the right to life unless the mother's life in in jeopardy.

Lots of talk here about women's rights, but what about the rights of the unborn child? Why do we award the most basic of all human rights to a newborn baby but not to the same human baby 5 minutes before birth? Why should the fact that the baby is now separated from it's mother make a difference, that new life has just as much potential and future as a human being before birth as after. The circumstances of the baby's conception are not the fault of the baby; I see no reason to deny the baby the right to life unless the mother's life in in jeopardy.

If you listen to obamaczar John Holdren, there is no right to life at all up to two years old.

I suppose the progressive problem is 'obsess over your problems until your death.'

No don't solve the problems obsess over them..... We will be a better nation then.

The problem is solved. Women have the right to end that pregnancy. Do I PERSONALLY agree with abortion when said woman has been irresponsible? No. Rape? Yes. Incest? God yes.

I just don't think that people realize what being raped does to a woman. It produces lifetime scars.

And you pick Santorum?

Really?

Read for comprehension.

So for you, it doesn't matter what the belief is, so long as a candidate has the courage to put it out there.

Again ... really?

Being a man, I can never fully know the pain and anguish of rape or incest. But a baby conceived even in the most horrendous manner is still as innocent as any other. Whatever the circumstances, it is not the fault of the newly conceived life. I believe that we as a society should be very careful about terminating life at any point, I am not sure we should go down that road. I am not sure the rights of the mother outweigh those of the unborn; a child that is killed after birth is deemed a murder, why should the physical act of birth change the right to live for that child?

Forum List

Back