Rick Perry: Middle Income Americans Don't Pay Enough Income Taxes

What ever income the wealth make is taxed at the highest rate.

And 50% of the country pays nothing, but demand that everyone else pay more.

And Obama isn't talking about taxing billionaires, or multi-millionaires...the liberals want to tax people and small businesses that make $250,000.

Actually that isn't true. If they have managed to categorize their income as capital gains like hedge fund managers then they are taxed at 15%

Yes, everyone should pay their fair share.

Do you oppose that?

P.S. - still waiting on that link.

The income tax is a tax on income, not on people.

No liberal supports raising taxes on the poor. We support lowering taxes on the poor, and raising taxes on the rich.

How can you lower Fed Income Taxes on the poor? 51% of Americans pay none already, and about half of them actually get more back than they paid in.

I'm sorry but when someone gets more money back than they paid in and you want to give them more. That's not cutting their taxes. That's Giving them free money. Please at least call it what it is.

Disclaimer: I have been in not groups in my life. I have had times where we made enough that we did pay Federal Income Taxes, However recently after having 2 kids in the last 6 years and taking a serious hit in Income we have been getting substantially More Back than we paid in. We still pay FICA and Medicare taxes, as well state Income Tax. But this year with the Child Credits and Everything else it was basically a wash. The Amount we got back in our Federal Income Tax return was = To the total that was withheld from our incomes when you add everything up. State, Federal With Holding, and Fica.

Just because I have Been on this side of the Equation for a couple Years does not mean I can not see that this shit is unsustainable. Why is it not good enough that people just pay no Federal Tax, Why do we give people Thousands of Dollars beyond what they paid in?
I'm not sure how long you've been in the work force; I began my sentence in the fall of 1965. Had productivity gains since that time been shared between the rich and the rest in this country like they were in the 1970s, your family would be making tens of thousands of dollars more every year, and, no doubt, paying income taxes on too much of it.

With all due respect, this shit is not sustainable because of those who've kept the lion's share of those productivity gains over the last forty years for themselves. I believe it is those folks who are responsible for gold's surge from $500 an ounce in 1982 to $1800/ounce currently.

Even with my limited understanding of macroeconomics, I'm sure the rich are more responsible than you and I for the Fed's March 2006 decision to desist from revealing the amount of currency in circulation.

While it's probably too much to hope for the next big economic crisis to occur in the fall of 2012, that crisis appears to be a certainty at some point in time. When it happens, it won't be the fault of those who pay no taxes on their subsistence level incomes.

Looting Frenzies: Thinking about the Federal Reserve while Nursing a Cheap Beer | Common Dreams

We are still paying for the mess the last Texan left in the WH. Let's do it over again, and try to get it right this time....RIGHT!

We are still paying for the mess the last Texan left in the WH. Let's do it over again, and try to get it right this time....RIGHT!

Perry is from Texas, Bush is from Texas. Therefore Perry = Bush. I like how you're the self declared anti-discrimination party. Well, you're not winning any issues on intelligence or logic, I guess you gotta go with what you got. Don't vote for Perry, he is from Texas...

I'm sure the denizens of this board will agree with him completely, what with him being a Republican and all.
More bullcrap.

The only quote in the blog from Perry is this one.
We’re dismayed at the injustice that nearly half of all Americans don’t even pay any income tax.

Newsflash...I'm in the middle...I pay taxes...Perry isn't talking about the middle. This blogger is a liar.

I am dismayed that half of all American's don't pay any income taxes while demanding others pay more and more.

Why? Because they have no skin in the game.

When half the population can vote for the other half to pay their way...THAT'S A PROBLEM.

It is one of the biggest pitfalls of the democratic system.

Everyone should contribute something, even if it is only one percent for minimum wage.

As the left is so fond of chanting, everyone should pay a fair share.

Let's discuss Texans who have skin in the game.

Texas Tax System Heavily Burdens Poor Residents

Texas, in particular, is "extremely imbalanced" in its reliance on sales and property taxes, the report concludes. Even without having to pay income tax, the poorest fifth of Texans ended up paying about 12 percent of their income in taxes in 2009, ITEP reports. The wealthiest 1 percent of Texans paid only 3 percent of their income in state and local taxes.

Texas Tax System Heavily Burdens Poor Residents

This is what happens in states with little or no state income taxes. The bulk of the taxes are collected through consumers in the form of one form of sales tax or another. And the poorer one is, the more they spend as a percentage of their income on consumer products, meaning they pay more in taxes than those wealthier than them. But this gets back to the argument that while a lot of people don't pay Federal Income Tax, they still pay more in taxes than many of the wealthy and super wealthy as a percentage of their overall income.

But maybe all of us well to do folk will catch a break and Perry can bring that type of system to the Federal Government, where the rich pay the least, and the poor and middle class pay the most.

Perry is from Texas, Bush is from Texas. Therefore Perry = Bush. I like how you're the self declared anti-discrimination party. Well, you're not winning any issues on intelligence or logic, I guess you gotta go with what you got. Don't vote for Perry, he is from Texas...
Enron's from Texas.

"Enron's Favorite State Candidates
& PACs, 1998 and 2000 Election Cycles
Recipient Amount
Gov. George W. Bush
$238,000
Gov. Rick Perry
$187,000

"Republican Party of TX
$10,000

"Bankrolling campaigns

"Last year the Center for Public Integrity identified Enron as the single largest patron of George W. Bush�s political career. A frequent flier on Enron corporate jets, Bush received $774,100 from Enron�s PAC and executives�including $312,500 for his two gubernatorial campaigns.3

"Bush�s greatest gubernatorial gifts to Enron were:

"Deregulating state electric markets in 1999;
Indulging �grandfathered air polluters;� and
Laws protecting businesses from lawsuits."

Enron

Enron's from Texas.

Recipient Amount
Gov. George W. Bush
$238,000
Gov. Rick Perry
$187,000

What matters is their policy, not who supports them which is clearly beyond their control. Again logic isn't winning a debate for liberals, so ad hominem is what you have to go with.

W sucked, but it has nothing to do with where he was from or who supported him. I am completely unsold on Perry, but his being from Texas or who supports him isn't what's going to make up my mind.

You're really sad that you think this is relevant in any way. And of course where a liberal is from or who supports them would be a ridiculous argument to you.

Enron's from Texas.

Recipient Amount
Gov. George W. Bush
$238,000
Gov. Rick Perry
$187,000

What matters is their policy, not who supports them which is clearly beyond their control. Again logic isn't winning a debate for liberals, so ad hominem is what you have to go with.

W sucked, but it has nothing to do with where he was from or who supported him. I am completely unsold on Perry, but his being from Texas or who supports him isn't what's going to make up my mind.

You're really sad that you think this is relevant in any way. And of course where a liberal is from or who supports them would be a ridiculous argument to you.
If someone seeking your vote is financially beholden to organized crime, is it logical to ignore the money trail?

If someone seeking your vote is financially beholden to organized crime, is it logical to ignore the money trail?

If that were really your issue, is it logical to focus on W and Perry?

Hint, people who care about an issue focus on the issue itself and not applying it to their political opponents.

Second hint, people who have integrity get their own house in order before pointing fingers at their neighbors...

Last edited:

If that were really your issue, is it logical to focus on W and Perry?

Hint, people who care about an issue focus on the issue itself and not applying it to their political opponents.

Second hint, people who have integrity get their own house in order before pointing fingers at their neighbors...
For the last 500 years all politicians have known the only thing worse than getting caught doing business with organized crime is losing control of the revenue streams that elite criminal activity produces.

half-of-america-has-25-of-the-wealth.jpg

Can I turn this around a little...with your chart....your saying that even though the top 10% are paying 71% of the taxes....it's not enough? Is that what your really trying to sell? :lol:

Rick Perry: Middle Income Americans Don't Pay Enough Income Taxes

Does he include all those uninsured, uneducated minimum wage earners in his state?

Len Burman writing on Forbes.com seems to share your pain:

"We’re apparently not dismayed that more than half of all Americans have been in a 30-year recession with little or no income growth.

"We’re apparently willing to write off Social Security and Medicare payroll taxes, which are the big federal taxes for low- and middle-income Americans.

"A family of four earning $30,000 may pay no federal income tax, but it pays $4,590 in payroll taxes (including the employer’s share, which economists believe is ultimately paid by the employee in the form of lower wages). Payroll taxes are much bigger than income taxes for most families."

Rick Perry: Middle Income Americans Don't Pay Enough Income Taxes - Forbes

Americans of ALL income levels pay PLENTY of taxes.

Most Americans simply no longer pay income taxes because incomes taxes are levied on a progressive system.

The REST of our taxes are either FLAT, or in the case of SSI, REgressively structured.

Can I turn this around a little...with your chart....your saying that even though the top 10% are paying 71% of the taxes....it's not enough? Is that what your really trying to sell? :lol:

The chart shows distribution of wealth, not taxes.

Your statement that the rich pay "71% of the taxes" is false. It, along with other versions, is a popular talking point among Republicans, however.

It's been refuted any number of times, but since you guys keep repeating it, refuting it again won't hurt.

Here's a slightly different version: "Michele Bachmann says top 1 percent pay 40 percent of all federal taxes.

Politifact rates it as FALSE:

Bachmann would have been right if she’d said, "the top 1 percent of income earners pay about 40 percent of all income taxes into the federal government." But she didn’t say that -- and even if she had, her decision to focus on income taxes, rather than looking at the whole federal tax picture, would have presented the numbers in such a way that wealthier Americans would look more heavily taxed than they are.

So for critics of taxes -- and Bachmann certainly is one -- it packs a greater wallop to cite income tax burdens for the wealthy than it does to cite their overall tax burden. But in this case, she didn’t define the statistic she was using correctly. So we rate her statement False.

PolitiFact | Michele Bachmann says top 1 percent pay 40 percent of all federal taxes

Federal income taxes make up only about half of federal taxes, which in turn make up only part or the total tax burden.

Conflating income taxes with all taxes, therefore, is a lie. I realize this is unlikely to make a difference to you, and that you're likely to go on repeating it anyway. But if no one speaks up, people who don't know the facts are lily to be deceived.

Forum List

Back