Rick Perry - Handicapping the GOP Hopefuls

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
Qualifications- Longest serving governor of Texas.

Pros- Has a strong political machine that can raise a lot of money. Has run for President before. Can make a good argument about economic growth. Could probably appeal to both the establishment and the far right.

Cons- Ran a DISASTROUS campaign for President in 2012.

Perry's run in 2012 was ill-considered, and you never get a second chance to make a first impression. But historically, the GOP has always run a candidate who has run before (with the exceptions of Barry Goldwater and George W. Bush), because they are vetted.

His Gaffes, however, have become how the media has defined him. Which means that the usual mis-speaking that a candidates makes will be amplified if he does it again. He's going to have to run a flawless campaign.

Pros- Has a strong political machine that can raise a lot of money. Has run for President before. Can make a good argument about economic growth. Could probably appeal to both the establishment and the far right.

Perry's run in 2012 was ill-considered, and you never get a second chance to make a first impression. But historically, the GOP has always run a candidate who has run before (with the exceptions of Barry Goldwater and George W. Bush), because they are vetted.

His Gaffes, however, have become how the media has defined him. Which means that the usual mis-speaking that a candidates makes will be amplified if he does it again. He's going to have to run a flawless campaign.

If we go by previous primary campaigns Hillary would have to be given a big ass "con" for this one. She was in line to be the first woman president and some upstart came in and stole her limelight. Now she gets to try 8 years later, and as sad of a fact as it is, people treat aging in women far more harshly then aging in men. And I feel even other women have this bias.

If we go by previous primary campaigns Hillary would have to be given a big ass "con" for this one. She was in line to be the first woman president and some upstart came in and stole her limelight. Now she gets to try 8 years later, and as sad of a fact as it is, people treat aging in women far more harshly then aging in men. And I feel even other women have this bias.

Obviously, you have no idea what happened in 2008.

Hillary lost because the main thing motivating her party at that point was anger at the evil, stupid, dishonest war that Bush had gotten us into, and she wasn't willing to repudiate her part in giving him a blank check in fighting it.

Obama, on the other hand, was against the war before it was cool to be against the war.

There were other factors as well, such as her poor organizing, her going along with allowing the DNC to strip Michigan and Florida of delegates for going early in the primaries. She actually got more votes than Obama did nationally.

Obviously, you have no idea what happened in 2008.

Hillary lost because the main thing motivating her party at that point was anger at the evil, stupid, dishonest war that Bush had gotten us into, and she wasn't willing to repudiate her part in giving him a blank check in fighting it.

Obama, on the other hand, was against the war before it was cool to be against the war.

There were other factors as well, such as her poor organizing, her going along with allowing the DNC to strip Michigan and Florida of delegates for going early in the primaries. She actually got more votes than Obama did nationally.

Hillary lost because democrats are all about identity politics, and Black(ish) male beats out White (rich) female.

Hillary lost because democrats are all about identity politics, and Black(ish) male beats out White (rich) female.

Right. Because that's what you heard on Rush.

Now, admittably, I was still marginally Republican in 2008. (I ended up vote for McCain in the primaries because he was not Romney.) But maybe you should talk to Democrats about why they voted for Obama over Hillary in 2008.

It had nothing to do with race or gender. It had to do with POLICY. Obama opposed Iraq, Hillary didn't.

Also, more than a few Democrats told me they liked HIllary, but didn't want to go through the crazy nonsense of the 1990's of bimbo eruptions and Clinton Death Lists, and really thought that Republicans would be more inclined to work with Obama without the Clinton baggage.

Now, if you really, really, really want to discuss this further, I'll start a thread on this.

So what are your thoughts on Rick Perry?

And to stay on topic, I think the biggest pro Perry has this time is the anti-religious crap is starting to get tired with the electorate. Plus, democrats can't lay it on too thick at the risk of alienating their religious black constituency. I don;t think they would switch over to Perry in droves, but they would stay home.

Right. Because that's what you heard on Rush.

Now, admittably, I was still marginally Republican in 2008. (I ended up vote for McCain in the primaries because he was not Romney.) But maybe you should talk to Democrats about why they voted for Obama over Hillary in 2008.

It had nothing to do with race or gender. It had to do with POLICY. Obama opposed Iraq, Hillary didn't.

Also, more than a few Democrats told me they liked HIllary, but didn't want to go through the crazy nonsense of the 1990's of bimbo eruptions and Clinton Death Lists, and really thought that Republicans would be more inclined to work with Obama without the Clinton baggage.

Now, if you really, really, really want to discuss this further, I'll start a thread on this.

So what are your thoughts on Rick Perry?

I answered above about Perry to get the thread back on the rails (after I admittedly knocked it off), and denying democrats are all about identity politics is comical.

And to stay on topic, I think the biggest pro Perry has this time is the anti-religious crap is starting to get tired with the electorate. Plus, democrats can't lay it on too thick at the risk of alienating their religious black constituency. I don;t think they would switch over to Perry in droves, but they would stay home.

Guy, what "anti-religious" crap? I mean, I know the Faux News folks do the "War on Christmas" shit every time some atheist kid says he doesn't want to play Jesus in the CHristmas pagent or something...

Perry's biggest problem, is that he's been such anti-choice figure that he pretty much gift-wraps the women vote for the Democrats. Only a matter of time before this fool puts an adjective in front of the word "Rape".

Guy, what "anti-religious" crap? I mean, I know the Faux News folks do the "War on Christmas" shit every time some atheist kid says he doesn't want to play Jesus in the CHristmas pagent or something...

Perry's biggest problem, is that he's been such anti-choice figure that he pretty much gift-wraps the women vote for the Democrats. Only a matter of time before this fool puts an adjective in front of the word "Rape".

Just like the "war on women" crap got you the mid-terms, right?

You guys act like Republicans lose the women vote 80-20 when at worst they have done 60-40. I guess those 40% aren't really women, right?

Rick Perry came in to the last election cycle and was branded as the savior of a weak GOP field. The ultimate "I'm not Romney". The GOP nomination was his for the taking. But Ricks biggest fault was that he was lazy. He did not want to learn the issues and thought he could get by on his country boy charm.....I mean it always worked before

But Rick got hammered in the debates and not just on his "I can eliminate three government agencies.....um...um...can someone help me here?" He was ill prepared for the debates and it showed

Beyond that, you can't fix stupid. I have never seen a political candidate where people said he is not as dumb as I thought

Rick Perry came in to the last election cycle and was branded as the savior of a weak GOP field. The ultimate "I'm not Romney". The GOP nomination was his for the taking. But Ricks biggest fault was that he was lazy. He did not want to learn the issues and thought he could get by on his country boy charm.....I mean it always worked before

But Rick got hammered in the debates and not just on his "I can eliminate three government agencies.....um...um...can someone help me here?" He was ill prepared for the debates and it showed

Beyond that, you can't fix stupid. I have never seen a political candidate where people said he is not as dumb as I thought

I remember "57 states", "When I meet with world leaders, what's striking -- whether it's in Europe or here in Asia" while in Hawaii, a state he was supposedly born in, and a statement on the Tonight Show about wanting to deepend the GULF ports of Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC, and Jacksonville, FL. I guess basic geography isn't Obama's strong suit or really much at all.

I remember "57 states", "When I meet with world leaders, what's striking -- whether it's in Europe or here in Asia" while in Hawaii, a state he was supposedly born in, and a statement on the Tonight Show about wanting to deepend the GULF ports of Savannah, GA, Charleston, SC, and Jacksonville, FL. I guess basic geography isn't Obama's strong suit or really much at all.

And yet, Obama survived dozens of debates against top Democrats and Republicans and kicked their asses. Obama entered the debates an unknown and came out a superstar. Perry entered as a superstar and came out as a laughing stock

It's a shame. Perry, with his common sense and fairness, would have been a far better President than the lying scum we have now! Anyone who voted for Obama still needs to apologize to the rest of us!

It's a shame. Perry, with his common sense and fairness, would have been a far better President than the lying scum we have now! Anyone who voted for Obama still needs to apologize to the rest of us!

Apologize for the biggest economic recovery in the world? Why would we do that? Are you ready to thank us?

Okay. Fair Enough.

I am sorry that President Obama's election makes your stupid, dumb-ass Racist mind as batshit crazy as it does. I am sorry for the butthurt you've been whining about for the last six years. I apologize in advance when your town names parks and schools after this guy.

You guys act like Republicans lose the women vote 80-20 when at worst they have done 60-40. I guess those 40% aren't really women, right?

Missing the point, again. YOu seem to do that a lot.

"Yeah, I won the Senate Seats in the Inbred States!"

Nice dodge, deeek.

Not a dodge at all. Now, I'll give you guys credit, you all avoided talking about abortion and birth control and none of the mutants you put up in the Bubba States felt a need to put an adjective in front of the word "Rape" to justify their view that spooge is people, too. So when people didn't bother to show up for those midterms, it was because you weren't scaring them on those issues.

But if you guys run Rick Perry, that's kind of the oppossite of that kind of smart. This is a guy who thinks a politician knows what's better for your uterus than a gynecologist.

Missing the point, again. YOu seem to do that a lot.

"Yeah, I won the Senate Seats in the Inbred States!"

Nice dodge, deeek.

Not a dodge at all. Now, I'll give you guys credit, you all avoided talking about abortion and birth control and none of the mutants you put up in the Bubba States felt a need to put an adjective in front of the word "Rape" to justify their view that spooge is people, too. So when people didn't bother to show up for those midterms, it was because you weren't scaring them on those issues.

But if you guys run Rick Perry, that's kind of the oppossite of that kind of smart. This is a guy who thinks a politician knows what's better for your uterus than a gynecologist.

Considering you guys think forcing a baker to do a job they don't want to do is a great fucking idea, I'd be careful about the skeletons in your closet as well.

Forum List

Back