Response: Katrina vs Haiti Quake

sure..I'm making a political issue out of it. Why not?

Because it's not over yet and this really is an inappropriate thing to turn into a Dem vs. Republican squabble that we see all the bloody damn time.
The response is over. The Obama Admin responded in record time...for foriegners.

Bush/Cheney set a record of sorts...for non response for it's own citizens.

And the squabble is one thing. Stating glaring comparisons may hurt your wingnut camp...but....you guys never had a problem politicizing 911 and everything else.

sucks to be you

Osama's first reponse??? SEND EM TO GITMO

that came from his golf cart that had a "do not disturb" sign on it.

you already suck. and blow

Only a fool would not notice the competency and response of the US government and walk away without thinking of the disasterous response during Katrina.

Only a fool would think that the GOP would have learned nothing from public perceptions of inadequacy regarding the Bush administration's response to a natural disaster.
Oh, the GOP learned from Katrina. They learned to deflect and attack everyone else even remotely nearby.

The GOP and wingnuts of the right have been attacking Obama for responding at all (money/cost), for responding too soon (Rush...defacto GOP Fuhrer), and for being elected to lead.

The GOP has learned the wrong lessons.

Ohh Look Article 15 NOW you are a rightwing nut, When did you join us?

A few hours ago. I'm still waiting for my secret decoder ring to arrive in the mail.

Hate to burst your bubble on that whole decoder ring deal, but the new government issued units that have been shipping out since January 20th of last year are all duds. See, back in the day, the decoder rings could decipher racial comments like "problems" actually meant "negroes" but lately, the word "negro" is the furthest thing from a "problem". Go figure! Oh yeah! I almost forgot...the new rings also come with a special practice secret message...

D R I N K M O R E O V A L T I N E
true dat
:eusa_whistle:

Under President Obamals Leadership...Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Defense Secretary Gates, have cancelled plans and are getting into place to monitor their respective Depts' repsonse to the devastating Quake in Haiti.

Thank gawd for the Haitians that a Democratic led Admin is in office.

Gawd, only knows what the response would've been under a GOP led Admin..

Think Katrina.

Bush would still be arguing the diplomatic roles and who is responsible for what. He would wait until the Haitian government formally asked for help.

Heckuva Job Brownie. Then they threw Brownie under the bus.

GOP the party of personal responsibility? :rofl:

Well of course lets over look Bush and his response to the Christmas day tsunami and jump straight to Katrina, which was the major fault of the Louisiana government..

I do believe the American people who donated their time and monies to Katrina which was how many years ago, are getting sick and tired of having this thrown in their face everytime someone wants make a political stab at Bush..

naw, it's only wingnuts like you who want to forget. this way you can live in your make believe world where the GOP is a party full of compassionate conservatives.

leave it to a shithead like devnell to compare katrina with haiti...and then to capalitize on the 10's of thousands of deaths of haitians just so he can score some bullshit political points against bush

So what's being reported this morning on MSNBC is that all the help has rushed to Haiti and are at the ready,, but just like Katrina,, they are having difficulty actually reaching the victims.. time passes.. :eusa_whistle:

That was the excuse of the Bush administration. There were no earthquakes in New Orleans. All the news reporters were there in New Orleans and they couldn't figure out why the administration was saying that the roads were blocked.

The truth is the GOP didn't give a rat's *ss about those people.

One of their leaders, Rush, has made it clear, he feels pretty much the same about these people.

thank you
:lol:

Don't edit my posts to suit your dementia.
Response to DevNell: The problem is with people like you who politicize the deaths of innocent earthquake victims. Grow up!

I put { ... } in your posts where you ran on, and on and on...I never edited out anything of substance. So stop whining and STFU and stop trying to hurt my rep because your arguments are in the toilet.:eek:

I said you politicized the deaths too. The response of compassionate conservatives vs Democrats at the federal level is a political issues.

Sorry if the truth hurts

sucks to be you
:eusa_shhh:

How about ya' wait until the dust settles and all the people who need help get it before everyone starts patting themselves on the back?
Learn to slow down when you see my posts. Think, then type.

I said response. The results in Haiti will be troubled if only because Haiti is Haiti. Yet funny thing...that didn't stop the Obama admin from acting swifty.

swifty!

Sucks when you have to see a real life comparison before your very eyes...minus the FOX/GOP Spin Machine.

*angry

I read your post just fine. You're are just another asshat trying to use this disaster as a platform to take pot shots at your political opposition. You could give a fuck about all the people that died. All you care about here is making your side look good and the other bad. It's sick.

I couldn't agree more that a tragic event should not be exploited for political gain but then I felt the same when the right tried to exploit ruby ridge, the first WTC attack, waco, the bombing of our embassies overseas on clinton's watch (it's funny how embassies don't count as US on a republcians watch), the bombing of the cole, 9/11, the ft hood massacre and the failed underpants bomber for political gain.
The right tries to exploit tragedy for political gain all the time so I find it funny when they try to take the high road when doing so works against them and puts them in a bad light. LOL

I wonder how hard (or easy) it would be to find a few posts from the right as they try to exploit ft. hood and the underpants bomber for political gain? Does your above position also apply to those on the right who have tried to exploit tragedy for political gain?

Only a fool would not notice the competency and response of the US government and walk away without thinking of the disasterous response during Katrina.

Only a fool would think that the GOP would have learned nothing from public perceptions of inadequacy regarding the Bush administration's response to a natural disaster.
Oh, the GOP learned from Katrina. They learned to deflect and attack everyone else even remotely nearby.

The GOP and wingnuts of the right have been attacking Obama for responding at all (money/cost), for responding too soon (Rush...defacto GOP Fuhrer), and for being elected to lead.

The GOP has learned the wrong lessons.

Well, it's politics as usual Dev.

One side attacks the other for fatuous and often wholly unfair reasons. Works both ways. The last thing you do when your opponent has done a good job is say "well done". You find out what the contentious issues may be and attack them, hoping that some mud will stick.

You can't seriously think it's only the right that behaves this way, do you?

Katrina....lessons learned. No ones fault, but everyones lesson. You live and learn.

Bush on Katrina....dammed if he did (go to the scene) and dammed if he didnt. Fly by was middle of the road. He should have cast criticism to the wind and landed. Those folks needed to know he cared and not only hear from the media that he did not. He gamblked and lost at the cost of the emotions of the stricken.

Haiti.....we should be proud of ourselves. We are always the first to step up, and our generosity as a people is un-matched. Our compassion for others should be rivaled by the world.

Obama on Haiti....handled his response as I would expect any US president to handle it. Well done.

leave it to a shithead like devnell to compare katrina with haiti...and then to capalitize on the 10's of thousands of deaths of haitians just so he can score some bullshit political points against bush

capitalize? So pointing out specific instances of federal guv responses to tragedies ... a valid comparison, is capitalizing?

Of course I am being political, but wasn't it political when Republicans told America "vote for Bush...he's a compassionate conservative" ....btw, wasn't that in itself an acknowledgement that conservatives mostly lack compassion?

Explains a lot about the federal response of Katrina vs Haiti, doesn't it.

sucks to be you

I couldn't agree more that a tragic event should not be exploited for political gain but then I felt the same when the right tried to exploit ruby ridge, the first WTC attack, waco, the bombing of our embassies overseas on clinton's watch (it's funny how embassies don't count as US on a republcians watch), the bombing of the cole, 9/11, the ft hood massacre and the failed underpants bomber for political gain.

The right tries to exploit tragedy for political gain all the time so I find it funny when they try to take the high road when doing so works against them and puts them in a bad light. LOL

I wonder how hard (or easy) it would be to find a few posts from the right as they try to exploit ft. hood and the underpants bomber for political gain? Does your above position also apply to those on the right who have tried to exploit tragedy for political gain?
very easy to find posts politicizing the time of day, by the very same posters here feigning outrage at posts of mine and others.

The conservative nitwits here just hate seeing credible comparisons not doctored by a FOX commentator, or party headquarters, or a douche like Rush.

Katrina....lessons learned. No ones fault, but everyones lesson. You live and learn.
Yeah, conservatives learned to deflect and spread blame. The only lesson that is now valid and credible,is to compare what happens when the compassionate conservatives of the GOP were in charge, and what happens when average Democrats like Obama are in charge.

The response was swift and competent. All hands on deck and accounted for.

Heckuva Job Barry!

on Katrina....dammed if he did (go to the scene) and dammed if he didnt. Fly by was middle of the road. He should have cast criticism to the wind and landed. Those folks needed to know he cared and not only hear from the media that he did not. He gamblked and lost at the cost of the emotions of the stricken.
Who cares about if he flew over the scene? I am talking about...and have been talking about (in the face of fierce and pathetic assaults from the right, here) the response of the federal government apparatus.

The fact is Bush and company were awol (pun intended) for the first part of Katrina.

.....we should be proud of ourselves. We are always the first to step up, and our generosity as a people is un-matched. Our compassion for others should be rivaled by the world.

Obama on Haiti....handled his response as I would expect any US president to handle it. Well done.
Agreed.

And I was saddened and angry and horrified at the US government's response to Katrina and teh pain and suffering of American citizens.

shit, I remember Sheppard from FOX NEWS lecturing the conservative mouthpieces of the GOP at FOX to stop politicizing the non response and to report the tragedy as it was.

At Last, Reporters' Feelings Rise to the Surface

Frustration with the government's response to Katrina caused Fox's Shepard Smith to shout at a police officer. (Fox News Channel)

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, September 5, 2005
Journalism seems to have recovered its reason for being.

As in the weeks after 9/11, news organizations have plunged into the calamity in New Orleans, with reporters chronicling heartbreaking stories under harrowing conditions in a submerged city. Suddenly, there were no more absurdly hyped melodramas like those of Natalee Holloway or Terri Schiavo, just the all-too-real drama of death and destruction left behind by a monster hurricane.

But there were striking flaws in the coverage as well. For the first three days, few journalists mentioned what the pictures made glaringly obvious: that most of the victims of the flooding were poor and black. And in those early days, when reporters were as overwhelmed as anyone by the disaster's magnitude, they seemed more intent on hopscotching from disaster scenes to news conferences than in challenging the tragically slow government response.

Only when the looting, fires, hunger, illness and squalid conditions in places like the Superdome became overwhelming did the coverage turn sharply negative and the reporters' questions more aggressive: Where were the buses, the planes, the food, the police, the promised troops? Where was the planning for a catastrophe that news organizations had been warning about for years?

On television, the frustration boiled over at different times. Fox's Shepard Smith shouted questions at a cop who refused to answer, saying: "What are you going to do with all these people? When is help coming for these people? Is there going to be help? I mean, they're very thirsty. Do you have any idea yet? Nothing? Officer?"

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough reported from Biloxi, Miss.: "What I have been seeing these past few days is nothing short of a national disgrace."

CNN's Anderson Cooper interrupted Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) thanking some of her colleagues, declaring that he had "been seeing dead bodies in the streets here in Mississippi" and that for people to hear politicians exchanging praise "cuts them the wrong way right now, because literally there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being eaten by rats because this woman had been laying in the street for 48 hours . . . Do you get the anger that is out here?"

This kind of activist stance, which would have drawn flak had it come from American reporters in Iraq, seemed utterly appropriate when applied to the yawning gap between mounting casualties and reassuring rhetoric. For once, reporters were acting like concerned citizens, not passive observers. And they were letting their emotions show, whether it was ABC's Robin Roberts choking up while recalling a visit to her mother on the Gulf Coast or CNN's Jeanne Meserve crying as she described the dead and injured she had seen.

Maybe, just maybe, journalism needs to bring more passion to the table -- and not just when cable shows are obsessing on the latest missing white woman.

The outraged tone continued yesterday when Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff tried to deflect questions about his department's performance on the talk show circuit. "It seems to me this has just been a total failure," Bob Schieffer told him on "Face the Nation."

On "Meet the Press," Tim Russert cited President Bush's comment that no one anticipated the breaching of the New Orleans levees, saying: "How could the president be so wrong, so misinformed?" Russert also loudly lectured Chertoff on the dispatching of evacuees to the city's convention center: "There was no water, no food, no beds, no authority there. There was no planning."

The first to blow the whistle on the initially color-blind coverage was Slate media columnist Jack Shafer, who wrote Wednesday: "Race remains largely untouchable for TV because broadcasters sense that they can't make an error without destroying careers. That's a true pity. If the subject were a little less taboo, one of [the] anchors could have asked a reporter, 'Can you explain to our viewers, who by now have surely noticed, why 99 percent of the New Orleans evacuees we're seeing are African-American?' "
- there is more here: Howard Kurtz - At Last, Reporters' Feelings Rise to the Surface - washingtonpost.com

Yeah, conservatives learned to deflect and spread blame. The only lesson that is now valid and credible,is to compare what happens when the compassionate conservatives of the GOP were in charge, and what happens when average Democrats like Obama are in charge.

The response was swift and competent. All hands on deck and accounted for.

Heckuva Job Barry!

on Katrina....dammed if he did (go to the scene) and dammed if he didnt. Fly by was middle of the road. He should have cast criticism to the wind and landed. Those folks needed to know he cared and not only hear from the media that he did not. He gamblked and lost at the cost of the emotions of the stricken.
Who cares about if he flew over the scene? I am talking about...and have been talking about (in the face of fierce and pathetic assaults from the right, here) the response of the federal government apparatus.

The fact is Bush and company were awol (pun intended) for the first part of Katrina.

.....we should be proud of ourselves. We are always the first to step up, and our generosity as a people is un-matched. Our compassion for others should be rivaled by the world.

Agreed.

And I was saddened and angry and horrified at the US government's response to Katrina and teh pain and suffering of American citizens.

shit, I remember Sheppard from FOX NEWS lecturing the conservative mouthpieces of the GOP at FOX to stop politicizing the non response and to report the tragedy as it was.

Nope. You're not a partisan hack. No way.
Jeez. Respond to my posts in the future if you wish....but I will ignore them.

At Last, Reporters' Feelings Rise to the Surface

Frustration with the government's response to Katrina caused Fox's Shepard Smith to shout at a police officer. (Fox News Channel)

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, September 5, 2005
Journalism seems to have recovered its reason for being.

As in the weeks after 9/11, news organizations have plunged into the calamity in New Orleans, with reporters chronicling heartbreaking stories under harrowing conditions in a submerged city. Suddenly, there were no more absurdly hyped melodramas like those of Natalee Holloway or Terri Schiavo, just the all-too-real drama of death and destruction left behind by a monster hurricane.

But there were striking flaws in the coverage as well. For the first three days, few journalists mentioned what the pictures made glaringly obvious: that most of the victims of the flooding were poor and black. And in those early days, when reporters were as overwhelmed as anyone by the disaster's magnitude, they seemed more intent on hopscotching from disaster scenes to news conferences than in challenging the tragically slow government response.

Only when the looting, fires, hunger, illness and squalid conditions in places like the Superdome became overwhelming did the coverage turn sharply negative and the reporters' questions more aggressive: Where were the buses, the planes, the food, the police, the promised troops? Where was the planning for a catastrophe that news organizations had been warning about for years?

On television, the frustration boiled over at different times. Fox's Shepard Smith shouted questions at a cop who refused to answer, saying: "What are you going to do with all these people? When is help coming for these people? Is there going to be help? I mean, they're very thirsty. Do you have any idea yet? Nothing? Officer?"

MSNBC's Joe Scarborough reported from Biloxi, Miss.: "What I have been seeing these past few days is nothing short of a national disgrace."

CNN's Anderson Cooper interrupted Sen. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) thanking some of her colleagues, declaring that he had "been seeing dead bodies in the streets here in Mississippi" and that for people to hear politicians exchanging praise "cuts them the wrong way right now, because literally there was a body on the streets of this town yesterday being eaten by rats because this woman had been laying in the street for 48 hours . . . Do you get the anger that is out here?"

This kind of activist stance, which would have drawn flak had it come from American reporters in Iraq, seemed utterly appropriate when applied to the yawning gap between mounting casualties and reassuring rhetoric. For once, reporters were acting like concerned citizens, not passive observers. And they were letting their emotions show, whether it was ABC's Robin Roberts choking up while recalling a visit to her mother on the Gulf Coast or CNN's Jeanne Meserve crying as she described the dead and injured she had seen.

Maybe, just maybe, journalism needs to bring more passion to the table -- and not just when cable shows are obsessing on the latest missing white woman.

The outraged tone continued yesterday when Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff tried to deflect questions about his department's performance on the talk show circuit. "It seems to me this has just been a total failure," Bob Schieffer told him on "Face the Nation."

On "Meet the Press," Tim Russert cited President Bush's comment that no one anticipated the breaching of the New Orleans levees, saying: "How could the president be so wrong, so misinformed?" Russert also loudly lectured Chertoff on the dispatching of evacuees to the city's convention center: "There was no water, no food, no beds, no authority there. There was no planning."

The first to blow the whistle on the initially color-blind coverage was Slate media columnist Jack Shafer, who wrote Wednesday: "Race remains largely untouchable for TV because broadcasters sense that they can't make an error without destroying careers. That's a true pity. If the subject were a little less taboo, one of [the] anchors could have asked a reporter, 'Can you explain to our viewers, who by now have surely noticed, why 99 percent of the New Orleans evacuees we're seeing are African-American?' "
Howard Kurtz - At Last, Reporters' Feelings Rise to the Surface - washingtonpost.com

Forum List

Back