Respected Kuwaiti Scholar on NECESSITY of Beating Your Wife

Given all your education, I wonder why you downplay Islamic domestic abuse?

It’s because of my education and experience that I have been disagreeing with you. Generalizations like the one that this thread is based on don’t really sit well with me. I find them both intellectually dishonest and a poor reflection of reality. Domestic abuse is a global problem, not merely one of religion, and simply pointing to Islam as a causal variable is fairly shallow analytically as it ignores most instances of domestic abuse and doesn’t even hold true across Islamic populations. Furthermore it suggests a notion of a singular Islam which simply doesn’t exist. It also ignores the vast diversity in the way that Islam is practiced throughout the world and the vast diversity of cultures that it is a part of. Furthermore, simply saying “LOL Islam” is pretty damaging in the battle against domestic abuse, and in the fight for women’s rights. Painting women’s right as something antithetical to an entire religion phrases the question of women’s rights in a very negative way. In essence you make people choose between gender equality, and religious salvation. It is a very harmful way of tackling the issues in general and can very much so prevent progress, while simultaneously spurning any progress among Islamic majority populations that is taking place.

As for my response to your video. I quoted Ibn Abbas’ reference to the scarf because he was Muhammad’s cousin and is considered by a majority of formal Sunni scholars to be one of the most authoritative in terms of his exegesis of the Quran. I pulled his comments from his commentary on the Quranic passage that was being discussed. He is also considered an authoritative source for validating Sunnah and spoke out against hitting women as well. He certainly ranks much higher in scholastic Islamic theological debate at least, than a random individual from the UK that you found on Youtube. Not to be mean with regards to your source, but literally anyone can name themselves an Imam or a sheik, those are just titles. Even the commentary that you posted disagreed with the OP in terms of the issue and he referenced the “non-harsh strike;” which is a hit that cannot leave any mark on a person’s body (and also can’t target the face). It is also a strike that cannot be issued in anger; which brings us back to the symbolic strike, Ibn Abbas suggested it was something that should be done with a headscarf; from hadith tradition there is also the suggestion that it should be issued via a “siwak” (a instrument for cleaning teeth. Either way it is vastly different from what the OP was talking about. The prohibition against beating your wife (in our sense of the term) comes from authoritative Sunni hadiths with plenty of witnessing passages across multiple collections (including Muhammad’s criticism of domestic abuse in both the Sahih Muslim and Sahih Bukhari, the two most authoritative hadith collections among the four main formal Sunni schools of jurisprudence).
You have to understand that early Islam and Arabic culture in general was steeped in symbolic mannerisms. For example striking a person’s face is considered dishonorable, not just a woman’s, but anyone’s. Another example are the four sacred holy months (the concept of holy months predates Islam and was folded into the religion by Muhammad). Even the way the Quran is constructed is based on old Arabic oral traditions. When looking at Islam you can’t ignore how it was constructed; not if you wish to understand it at least.

We also see from Gallup’s publication “Who Speaks for Islam” one of the largest international polls of Islamic populations ever to be conducted that majorities of Islamic men all over the world believe in granting the same basic rights to women (this includes the same legal rights which would throw out the point you tried to make via you “women need four male witnesses in rape cases” argument. Turkey and Lebanon for example showed 92% of their population in support of the same legal rights for men and women (which includes assault laws and domestic violence laws). Saudi Arabia represents the big exception to this rule with only 41% of males agreeing (61% of Saudi women said yes).

I’d also point out that attacking Islam also attacks the hundreds of millions of Islamic women who want both equal rights and freedom to practice their Islamic faith. They don’t see a contradiction between the two, and it is important to present them opportunities that allow them to have both (which is happening more and more every day).
Question for Osomir and Esmerelda:
What are your thoughts on Islamic female genital mutilation?

I’m absolutely against it. Not sure why would you even need to ask? As far as Female genital mutilation and Islam though; once again it is much more of a cultural thing that a religious one. It has a particularly large following in Africa (including in Christian majority countries such as Ethiopia). Out of the four main schools of Islamic thought female circumcision (the removal of the clitoral hood and the lowest form of female genital cutting) is encoded by two branches: the Shaffi school of thought, and the Hanbali school of thought (the Hanbali school of thought is the smallest and has largely been replaced by Wahhabism). Theologically though it is more akin to the Jewish (and some Christian) version of male genital cutting: aka circumcision. The other forms of FGM, particularly the horrible ones that involve the removal of the clitoris or the sewing up or obstructing of the vaginal canal are culturally rooted, and if they seem into local religious sets, it is a result of Urf or the local cultural merging of tradition with religion (the same applies to much of Christianity in Sub-Saharan Africa).

It is also worth noting that Muhammad Sayyid Tantawi who sat at the head of the four Sunni schools of Islamic jurisprudence as the Grand Mufti of Egypt from 1986 – 1996 and who served as the Grand Sheikh of the Al-Azhar Mosque / University (considered to generally be the most influential position within Sunni jurisprudence sets globally); publicly condemned the practice of female circumcision and genital mutilation and called it un-islamic (also revealing that his own daughter was not circumcised). And he was originally from the Shafii school of jurisprudence (before becoming the symbolic scholastic head of all four main Sunni schools).

Apologies for taking so long to respond to you. I've been fairly busy with work and the family.

Just to get Dave's World Right.

MAKER-

220px-Paris_Hilton_2009.jpg

TAKER-

hotel-worker.jpg

I'm just not seeing why one gets millions and the other get minimum wage. Which is why I never stay at a Hitlon.
I'm sure the Hiltons are all heartbroke. :(

Given all your education, I wonder why you downplay Islamic domestic abuse?

It’s because of my education and experience that I have been disagreeing with you. Generalizations like the one that this thread is based on don’t really sit well with me. I find them both intellectually dishonest and a poor reflection of reality. Domestic abuse is a global problem, not merely one of religion, and simply pointing to Islam as a causal variable is fairly shallow analytically as it ignores most instances of domestic abuse and doesn’t even hold true across Islamic populations. Furthermore it suggests a notion of a singular Islam which simply doesn’t exist. It also ignores the vast diversity in the way that Islam is practiced throughout the world and the vast diversity of cultures that it is a part of. Furthermore, simply saying “LOL Islam” is pretty damaging in the battle against domestic abuse, and in the fight for women’s rights. Painting women’s right as something antithetical to an entire religion phrases the question of women’s rights in a very negative way. In essence you make people choose between gender equality, and religious salvation. It is a very harmful way of tackling the issues in general and can very much so prevent progress, while simultaneously spurning any progress among Islamic majority populations that is taking place.

As for my response to your video. I quoted Ibn Abbas’ reference to the scarf because he was Muhammad’s cousin and is considered by a majority of formal Sunni scholars to be one of the most authoritative in terms of his exegesis of the Quran. I pulled his comments from his commentary on the Quranic passage that was being discussed. He is also considered an authoritative source for validating Sunnah and spoke out against hitting women as well. He certainly ranks much higher in scholastic Islamic theological debate at least, than a random individual from the UK that you found on Youtube. Not to be mean with regards to your source, but literally anyone can name themselves an Imam or a sheik, those are just titles. Even the commentary that you posted disagreed with the OP in terms of the issue and he referenced the “non-harsh strike;” which is a hit that cannot leave any mark on a person’s body (and also can’t target the face). It is also a strike that cannot be issued in anger; which brings us back to the symbolic strike, Ibn Abbas suggested it was something that should be done with a headscarf; from hadith tradition there is also the suggestion that it should be issued via a “siwak” (a instrument for cleaning teeth. Either way it is vastly different from what the OP was talking about. The prohibition against beating your wife (in our sense of the term) comes from authoritative Sunni hadiths with plenty of witnessing passages across multiple collections (including Muhammad’s criticism of domestic abuse in both the Sahih Muslim and Sahih Bukhari, the two most authoritative hadith collections among the four main formal Sunni schools of jurisprudence).
You have to understand that early Islam and Arabic culture in general was steeped in symbolic mannerisms. For example striking a person’s face is considered dishonorable, not just a woman’s, but anyone’s. Another example are the four sacred holy months (the concept of holy months predates Islam and was folded into the religion by Muhammad). Even the way the Quran is constructed is based on old Arabic oral traditions. When looking at Islam you can’t ignore how it was constructed; not if you wish to understand it at least.

We also see from Gallup’s publication “Who Speaks for Islam” one of the largest international polls of Islamic populations ever to be conducted that majorities of Islamic men all over the world believe in granting the same basic rights to women (this includes the same legal rights which would throw out the point you tried to make via you “women need four male witnesses in rape cases” argument. Turkey and Lebanon for example showed 92% of their population in support of the same legal rights for men and women (which includes assault laws and domestic violence laws). Saudi Arabia represents the big exception to this rule with only 41% of males agreeing (61% of Saudi women said yes).

I’d also point out that attacking Islam also attacks the hundreds of millions of Islamic women who want both equal rights and freedom to practice their Islamic faith. They don’t see a contradiction between the two, and it is important to present them opportunities that allow them to have both (which is happening more and more every day).
Question for Osomir and Esmerelda:
What are your thoughts on Islamic female genital mutilation?

I’m absolutely against it. Not sure why would you even need to ask? As far as Female genital mutilation and Islam though; once again it is much more of a cultural thing that a religious one. It has a particularly large following in Africa (including in Christian majority countries such as Ethiopia). Out of the four main schools of Islamic thought female circumcision (the removal of the clitoral hood and the lowest form of female genital cutting) is encoded by two branches: the Shaffi school of thought, and the Hanbali school of thought (the Hanbali school of thought is the smallest and has largely been replaced by Wahhabism). Theologically though it is more akin to the Jewish (and some Christian) version of male genital cutting: aka circumcision. The other forms of FGM, particularly the horrible ones that involve the removal of the clitoris or the sewing up or obstructing of the vaginal canal are culturally rooted, and if they seem into local religious sets, it is a result of Urf or the local cultural merging of tradition with religion (the same applies to much of Christianity in Sub-Saharan Africa).

It is also worth noting that Muhammad Sayyid Tantawi who sat at the head of the four Sunni schools of Islamic jurisprudence as the Grand Mufti of Egypt from 1986 – 1996 and who served as the Grand Sheikh of the Al-Azhar Mosque / University (considered to generally be the most influential position within Sunni jurisprudence sets globally); publicly condemned the practice of female circumcision and genital mutilation and called it un-islamic (also revealing that his own daughter was not circumcised). And he was originally from the Shafii school of jurisprudence (before becoming the symbolic scholastic head of all four main Sunni schools).

Apologies for taking so long to respond to you. I've been fairly busy with work and the family.
No worries. It looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

No worries. It looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I know I took a while to respond and agreeing to disagree is fine but given my response that seems a bit of a cop out. I could quote the sunnah against hitting your wife if you'd like.

I already cited the most respected modern and historical scholastic authorities on the issues (Ibn Abbas and Sayyid Tantawi, the latter of whom also condemned 9/11, spoke out against terrorism, spoke out against the full faced veil for women, and promoted women's rights to legal equality and their rights to hold high level political positions); and quoted Muslims (both men and women) own thoughts on the issue from the most comprehensive international poll on Islamic opinions.

On what grounds other than not wanting to admit that you misspoke do you disagree with my argument?

Last edited:
Just to get Dave's World Right.

MAKER-

220px-Paris_Hilton_2009.jpg

TAKER-

hotel-worker.jpg

I'm just not seeing why one gets millions and the other get minimum wage. Which is why I never stay at a Hitlon.

Great way to derail a thread loser!

Is it not every father (grand-father, great grand-father etc) dream to create so much wealth to take care of no ones children (grand-children, great grand-children etc)? For every Paris Hilton who inherited her wealth, there are 1000 hard works that started out like the maid in your post that worked hard and created their own wealth!

[

Maybe you could explain that, Joe. It's the kind of irrational non-logic you're good at.

pictures of "Uncle Tom" Sowell aside, exactly how is it taking other people's money when you make sure the people WHO ACTUALLY DO THE WORK get a fair share of the profits?

The point is, the investor really contributes NOTHING to the actual making of a product or service. He just reaps the rewards.

The guy on the assembly line or in the office who designed the products, procured the material, did the assembly, shipped the product, they had a lot more with making that happen than the "investor".

Guy, you all put Plutocracy on the ballot last November.

It lost.

Because without capital, there'd be no jobs for haters like yourself!

And I'm getting paid way more than I did in 08 when I was busy short selling your house. So if this is losing, I can't imagine what winning is like! Maybe it's Paris Hilton on all fours. :tongue:

I know I took a while to respond and agreeing to disagree is fine but given my response that seems a bit of a cop out. I could quote the sunnah against hitting your wife if you'd like.

I already cited the most respected modern and historical scholastic authorities on the issues (Ibn Abbas and Sayyid Tantawi, the latter of whom also condemned 9/11, spoke out against terrorism, spoke out against the full faced veil for women, and promoted women's rights to legal equality and their rights to hold high level political positions); and quoted Muslims (both men and women) own thoughts on the issue from the most comprehensive international poll on Islamic opinions.

On what grounds other than not wanting to admit that you misspoke do you disagree with my argument?
When I misspeak, I admit it. Just ask any (honest) member here.

I said what I said because you're never going to admit there are indeed flaws in Islam. You even defended hitting your wife, as long as you don't leave a mark.

So, it's rather pointless discussing this with you.

Meanwhile, atrocities like this keep happening in Muslim-majority nations:

Husband chops off wife's fingers to stop her studying for a degree | Mail Online
A jealous husband is facing life in prison after chopping off his wife's fingers because she began studying for a degree without his permission.

Rafiqul Islam, 30, blindfolded his wife Hawa Akhter, 21, and taped her mouth, telling her he was going to give her a surprise present.

Instead he made her hold out her hand and cut off all five fingers. One of his relatives then threw Ms Akhter's fingers in the dustbin to ensure doctors could not reattach them.

--

The attack is the latest in a series of acts targeting educated women in the Muslim-majority company.

In June, an unemployed man gouged out the eyes of his wife, an assistant professor at Dhaka University, apparently because he could not stand her pursuing higher studies at a Canadian University.​
But yeah -- Islam has nothing to do with it, right?

When I misspeak, I admit it. Just ask any (honest) member here.

I said what I said because you're never going to admit there are indeed flaws in Islam. You even defended hitting your wife, as long as you don't leave a mark.

So, it's rather pointless discussing this with you.

Meanwhile, atrocities like this keep happening in Muslim-majority nations:

Husband chops off wife's fingers to stop her studying for a degree | Mail Online
A jealous husband is facing life in prison after chopping off his wife's fingers because she began studying for a degree without his permission.

Rafiqul Islam, 30, blindfolded his wife Hawa Akhter, 21, and taped her mouth, telling her he was going to give her a surprise present.

Instead he made her hold out her hand and cut off all five fingers. One of his relatives then threw Ms Akhter's fingers in the dustbin to ensure doctors could not reattach them.

--

The attack is the latest in a series of acts targeting educated women in the Muslim-majority company.

In June, an unemployed man gouged out the eyes of his wife, an assistant professor at Dhaka University, apparently because he could not stand her pursuing higher studies at a Canadian University.​
But yeah -- Islam has nothing to do with it, right?

And yet I presented actual data that disproves your generalized notions of Islam.

I also don't understand why it is so hard for you to admit that Islam isn't a singular entity.

The logical foundations that your entire argument rests on are flawed at the core level because they:

1.) Ignore the diversity within Islam (something which you haven't addressed at all)

2.) Ignore popular and highly regarded formal Islamic thinkers on the subjects (who you also haven't addressed)

3.) Ignore The opinions and attitudes of Muslims themselves whose polling data completely shatters the generalizations that you are trying to make (yet another thing that you haven't addressed).

4.) Ignore the extent that domestic abuse and other human rights abuse exist in the world and narrowly confine them to a singular rather shallow causal variable with no explanation for doing so and no supporting data for doing so. (Another unaddressed issue that you have simply ignored).

Kuwaiti Scholar Jassem Al-Mutawa: Wife Beating in Islam Treats Women Suffering from Masochism - YouTube

These are from the mouth of the lion. He said them and he owns them. Nothing out of context.

Summary:
(1) Beating are not only allowed by the Koran they are promoted by the Koran.
(2) Without wife beatings the family dynamic breaks down and leads to divorce.
(3) Using harsh words towards a disobedient wife is a must, aka spousal mental abuse is an Islamic duty! Don't leave out breaking her down mentally also!
(4) Refusal of sex is a just reason to beat your wive.
(5) Beat your wive with one of the assortment of rods. They are the "Rods of Obedience." Do you see the size of some of those rods. They are huge. Broken bones all in the name of Islam, so it AOK.
(6) Beating one's wife is a Husband's RIGHT. He can't be prosecuted under the law, unless he kills her! :eek:
(7) A wife has no right to beat her husband, even in self-defense. "Islam spared the wife of a need to use violence." However, a wife can get another man to beat her husband, but only after she goes to court and the court awards it. Yep fat chance of that happening.
(8) Comical moment in the broadcast: Beating your wife with a handkerchief is considered "extreme" and even laughable. I would do no damage.
(9) Beating your wife sends a message: "I'm not pleased with your behavior."
(10) The cure to the mental disorders of sadism and masochism? You guessed it - BEATING YOUR WIFE!!! Not only does the Koran allow this it promotes it as a cure! Don't take the Koran's word for it, Islamic psychiatrist say it's the cure and regularly tell the husbands of their patients to start beating their wives!
(11) BIGGEST FABRICATION: The scholar actually claims: "No women died from Islamic wife beatings." OK nutbar!

I thought you were talking about this guy:

pat robertson wives - Bing Videos

"It looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree and leave it at that."

A cop out because you can't address any of my points but don't want to shift away from hating Islam and portraying it as a singular entity.

You can't even defend your assertion. So much for being willing to admit when you misspoke.

"It looks like we're going to have to agree to disagree and leave it at that."

A cop out because you can't address any of my points but don't want to shift away from hating Islam and portraying it as a singular entity.

You can't even defend your assertion. So much for being willing to admit when you misspoke.
You should realize that you've been shown a small portion of Islam...a whitewashed one. Being "educated" doesn't mean one is discerning.

Until you're willing to admit that adherence to certain of Islam's tenets causes a huge amount of misery and death, there is no point in continuing this.

Great way to derail a thread loser!

Is it not every father (grand-father, great grand-father etc) dream to create so much wealth to take care of no ones children (grand-children, great grand-children etc)? For every Paris Hilton who inherited her wealth, there are 1000 hard works that started out like the maid in your post that worked hard and created their own wealth!

There are millions who work their whole lives like that maid, and only have ANYTHING to show for it because a labor union and a government made sure she wouldn't be cheated at every turn.

Also, judging by the fact that 1% of the population controls 43% of the wealth, I'd say it's pretty much all stuck up at the top.

You should realize that you've been shown a small portion of Islam...a whitewashed one. Being "educated" doesn't mean one is discerning.

That's a pretty big assertion for someone who hasn't been able to provide any data to support his argument. It also doesn't address any of the points or data that I made / utilized.

Until you're willing to admit that adherence to certain of Islam's tenets causes a huge amount of misery and death, there is no point in continuing this.

Once again: a cop out because you can't address my previous post or anything in it apparently.

You can't even admit that Islam isn't a singular thing.

That's a pretty big assertion for someone who hasn't been able to provide any data to support his argument. It also doesn't address any of the points or data that I made / utilized.
Except for the data I did present that you rejected out of hand.

Once again: a cop out because you can't address my previous post or anything in it apparently.

You can't even admit that Islam isn't a singular thing.
You can't admit there's anything wrong with Islam. Meanwhile, your bitterly-clung-to insular view of Islam does nothing to negate the reality that Islam is homophobic, misogynistic, violent, and stuck in the Middle Ages.

Except for the data I did present that you rejected out of hand.

And what data would that be? A random youtube video and an equally random news article?

I directly responded to your "data" with comments that you haven't been able to even address let alone refute.

Forum List

Back