Republican VOTER FRAUD!!

This is more of a question than an observation. Many of you are far more knowledgeable about this topic than I.
There are serious allegations arising in Florida regarding "suspected" fraudulent voter registrations being submitted by a firm hired by the GOP. The firm was also hired by the Romney campaign. The firm has subsequently been fired by the Florida GOP.
There is now "reported" evidence that the same firm was also hired by the GOP in other so called "battleground" states (Nevada, Colorado).
My question is, there are reports that this same firm was hired by Florida GOP during the Bush/Gore election of 2004. Gore won the popular vote, but Bush won the electoral count. Does anyone think this current debacle in Florida will have an impact on this campaign, or just be brushed away as a non-impact event?

Like I said in anothe thread, voter ID would make these types of activities useless. I'm sure this happens on both sides and will until voter ID is made universal. Elections are the bedrock of our society and insuring the integirty of the elections should be a concern of all parties.

This is more of a question than an observation. Many of you are far more knowledgeable about this topic than I.
There are serious allegations arising in Florida regarding "suspected" fraudulent voter registrations being submitted by a firm hired by the GOP. The firm was also hired by the Romney campaign. The firm has subsequently been fired by the Florida GOP.
There is now "reported" evidence that the same firm was also hired by the GOP in other so called "battleground" states (Nevada, Colorado).
My question is, there are reports that this same firm was hired by Florida GOP during the Bush/Gore election of 2004. Gore won the popular vote, but Bush won the electoral count. Does anyone think this current debacle in Florida will have an impact on this campaign, or just be brushed away as a non-impact event?

It would help to have a link about these allegations.

You cannot have voter fraud until the election starts.

Not so. If you register people illegally that is voter fraud. The voting process starts long before election day, and so does the fraud.

That's why Voter ID would have little to no impact on the actual types of fraud which occur.

I live in Florida. In my county, we use scannable paper ballots that are exactly the same as are used by schools for standardized testing. In the event of a recount, those paper ballots are available for use and counting.

I do get a little more worried about touch-screen technology, because there is no paper trail. Those types of voting machines were mostly installed in larger urban parts of Florida with heavily democratic populations by DEMOCRATIC county supervisors of elections. So, if there is vote fraud, that's where it would be likely to be.

FWIW, not all technology is equal.

You cannot have voter fraud until the election starts.

Not so. If you register people illegally that is voter fraud. The voting process starts long before election day, and so does the fraud.

That's why Voter ID would have little to no impact on the actual types of fraud which occur.

You can have oodles of voter registration irregularities that do bupkis. I think you know what I meant....and since we agree on the matter....you wasted your time and mine.

Hey, teatards, you're missing the point.

This story if funny because the party that was trying to disenfranchise voters with new anti-fraud legislation is busted doing something they shouldn't.
I think you're missing the point. Voter registration is a problem as you pointed out. The way to combat that is requiring voter ID at the polls. It is an obvious follow-up to your OP.

I think we need to cut the GOP a little slack on this one. This is what happens when you hire low wage temp workers to do the footwork. If there are incentives for turning in a lot of registration cards, some people are going to fudge a little to increase their total. And by law, the company that collects all these cards, must go through and weed out the ones that look fraudelant and turn them in to the authority having jurisdiction.

ACORN went through the same thing. I don't know if this company didn't check them before turning them in, but I'm pretty sure they're required to. The point is, GOP officials wouldn't know until the cards were turned in and checked.

This is common to all registration drives. Voter fraud, where the forged card owner actually shows up to vote, is extremely rare.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Like I said in another thread, voter ID would make these types of activities useless

How would voter ID stop a Republican organization from trashing Democratic voting registrations?

Voter ID is meaningless. It has zero effect in cases of registration fraud, given that no one was ever planning to vote under the joke names.

Like I said in another thread, voter ID would make these types of activities useless

How would voter ID stop a Republican organization from trashing Democratic voting registrations?

Voter ID is meaningless. It has zero effect in cases of registration fraud, given that no one was ever planning to vote under the joke names.
Terribly disingenuous. Voter ID is the only solution to the integrity of the ballot!

Vote fraud is what most of us think of: voting twice, voting when you’re not eligible to vote, stuffing ballot boxes with phony ballots and so forth. Voter registration fraud is registering people to vote who don’t exist or signing up legitimate voters without their signatures or permission and so forth. Big difference.

This is at the root of what [got] ACORN in trouble. They were often sloppy and hired people who weren’t reliable. But most of the “fraud” uncovered in their work were fraudulent registrations they themselves discovered when they reviewed the forms and then reported to authorities. (An organization is not allowed to just toss registration forms they believe may be fraudulent. You have to turn them in regardless.) It is for this reason that voter registration fraud is often best seen as a fraud against the organization paying to register voters.

In any case, that’s what voter registration fraud is. To be emphatically clear, it is a crime and should be a crime. But it is very important to understand what it is and what it isn’t, even in the midst of the schadenfreude many experience watching Republicans who’ve bamboozled the public about this very issue being hoisted on their own petard

About Mr. Sproul | TPM Editors Blog

Hey, teatards, you're missing the point.

This story if funny because the party that was trying to disenfranchise voters with new anti-fraud legislation is busted doing something they shouldn't.

You seem to have skipped this part of the story...
RNC Drops Voter Sing-Up Group Amid Fraud Charges

When the GOP found out what the group was doing, they dropped them. You're upset because the GOP dropped a group that broke the law?
He really hasn't given this any thought. At all.

Forum List

Back