republican profiles in courage: tennessee edition

Tennessee legislators decline to pass resolution denouncing neo-Nazism

obviously, they don't want to alienate their base.

why would any moral human being want this kind of animal for their base?

it's a rhetorical question; don't hurt yourselves trying to answer it.

Probably because such a resolution is completely useless and nothing more than political grandstanding.
Nothing wrong with being on the record. Pols do it all the time.

Is it really necessary for a state to go on record denouncing neo-Nazism? Aside from some of the extremist loons in our country suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome does anybody actually think anybody in our government is supporting Nazism?

This is fourth grade recess crap.

A House committee declined to pass a resolution that stated Tennessee denounces white nationalism and neo-Nazism.

The sponsor, Rep. John Ray Clemmons, D-Nashville, didn't receive a second motion to proceed with discussing the resolution in the House State Government Subcommittee on Wednesday.

"I'm in utter disbelief at what just happened," Clemmons said after the meeting. "I didn't think there was anything controversial about this resolution."

He said he had expected the resolution would be passed and placed on the House's consent calendar.

The subcommittee's sole Democrat, Rep. Darren Jernigan, D-Old Hickory, made the first motion, which was met with silence by the subcommittee's Republican members, Reps. Bill Sanderson, Bud Hulsey and Bob Ramsey.

After being cut off by Sanderson, the subcommittee chairman, from discussing the resolution, Clemmons was immediately granted a second motion to talk about an unrelated bill on studying state government contracts.
********************************************************************************

Had they passed it, what would the next resolution have censored?
English isn't your first language...... is it........
This is a toughee, I have to admit. There really is nothing they can say to defend this, so they're groping around for the old standards.

Long live the First Amendment.
Get yer head out yer ass, Cletus

This is a First Amendment victory, comrade oldfuck.
It is? What part of a resolution actually stifles free speech.......?

Freedom of speech, not terrorism. Amazing that idiots need this shit spelled out for them.
Speaking of idiots....... :eusa_whistle:

Long live the First Amendment.

Freedom of speech, not terrorism. Amazing that idiots need this shit spelled out for them.
"Not TERRORISM?"
You drunk?

No not drunk, olddumbfuck. Did you even read the article?

A House committee declined to pass a resolution that stated Tennessee denounces white nationalism and neo-Nazism.

The sponsor, Rep. John Ray Clemmons, D-Nashville, didn't receive a second motion to proceed with discussing the resolution in the House State Government Subcommittee on Wednesday.

"I'm in utter disbelief at what just happened," Clemmons said after the meeting. "I didn't think there was anything controversial about this resolution."

He said he had expected the resolution would be passed and placed on the House's consent calendar.

The subcommittee's sole Democrat, Rep. Darren Jernigan, D-Old Hickory, made the first motion, which was met with silence by the subcommittee's Republican members, Reps. Bill Sanderson, Bud Hulsey and Bob Ramsey.

After being cut off by Sanderson, the subcommittee chairman, from discussing the resolution, Clemmons was immediately granted a second motion to talk about an unrelated bill on studying state government contracts.
********************************************************************************

Why were they voting on such a thing in the first place.

"Not TERRORISM?"
You drunk?

Yeah I did knumb knut, nothing in the resolution about censoring free speech. Maybe if you had progressed beyond elementary English classes........ You did take elementary English.... right?

Probably because such a resolution is completely useless and nothing more than political grandstanding.

Is it really necessary for a state to go on record denouncing neo-Nazism? Aside from some of the extremist loons in our country suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome does anybody actually think anybody in our government is supporting Nazism?

Why do you say it's fourth grade recess crap? It wasn't fourth graders in Charlottesville, as I recall, and I remember what our Leader said about it, so yeah, I think any governmental body that wants to make their stance clear is a very reasonable and right minded thing to do. I don't think you can AT ALL assume this is just political fluff. Well, it is political grandstanding, but it should certainly not be avoided if it passes in front of you. That was political grandstanding in the WRONG way.

BTW, is that what YOU used to do at recess in fourth grade? We were chasing around the opposite sex.

The devil is always in the details. The bill as I read it goes MUCH further in just DENOUNCING neo-Nazis. That is how Liberals soft-sell their crap. Wrap it up in some high sounding words and then bury what their REAL goal is down in the bill. This is what the true substance of the bill is:

<<<<<<
The House Joint Resolution, filed in the Tennessee General Assembly just days after the deadly August “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, stated that white nationalist and neo-Nazi ideologies “remain very real threats to social and racial progress."

It asked law enforcement agencies to consider the groups “domestic terrorist organizations," and to pursue criminal charges against them as police would in other types of terrorism.
>>>>>>

Well now, that's a bit more extreme than just "denouncing" neo-Nazis, isn't it? That allows police to immediately shutdown any peaceful demonstration that any pro-White group organizes. Liberals are often devious in their attempts to squash 1st and 2nd amendment rights. This is a fine example.

Of course it is but that's what politicians are all about........ Making statements.......

Why do you say it's fourth grade recess crap? It wasn't fourth graders in Charlottesville, as I recall, and I remember what our Leader said about it, so yeah, I think any governmental body that wants to make their stance clear is a very reasonable and right minded thing to do. I don't think you can AT ALL assume this is just political fluff. Well, it is political grandstanding, but it should certainly not be avoided if it passes in front of you. That was political grandstanding in the WRONG way.

BTW, is that what YOU used to do at recess in fourth grade? We were chasing around the opposite sex.

Clearly, my point went completely over your head

"Not TERRORISM?"
You drunk?

No. What nugget of wisdom saves this from being egg on the face of Tennessee's Republicans?

it wasn't grandstanding to bring forth the resolution

the author expected it to go through pretty much pro forma.

there's a reason white nationalists are flocking to tennessee and it ain't jack daniels

Clearly, my point went completely over your head
It wasn't fourth graders in Charlottesville, as I recall, and I remember what our Leader said about it, so yeah, I think any governmental body that wants to make their stance clear is a very reasonable and right minded thing to do. I don't think you can AT ALL assume this is just political fluff. Well, it is political grandstanding, but it should certainly not be avoided if it passes in front of you. That was political grandstanding in the WRONG way.
What part did I miss?

I would have to side with the Repubs on this one. The state has no place doing such a thing.

The devil is always in the details. The bill as I read it goes MUCH further in just DENOUNCING neo-Nazis. That is how Liberals soft-sell their crap. Wrap it up in some high sounding words and then bury what their REAL goal is down in the bill. This is what the true substance of the bill is:

<<<<<<
The House Joint Resolution, filed in the Tennessee General Assembly just days after the deadly August “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, stated that white nationalist and neo-Nazi ideologies “remain very real threats to social and racial progress."

It asked law enforcement agencies to consider the groups “domestic terrorist organizations," and to pursue criminal charges against them as police would in other types of terrorism.
>>>>>>

Well now, that's a bit more extreme than just "denouncing" neo-Nazis, isn't it? That allows police to immediately shutdown any peaceful demonstration that any pro-White group organizes. Liberals are often devious in their attempts to squash 1st and 2nd amendment rights. This is a fine example.
The FBI unofficially considers these groups to be domestic terrorists but obviously have their hands tied by constitutional constraints so any attempt to treat members as terrorists by any state or locality without their actually committing any crime would never pass constitutional muster

it wasn't grandstanding to bring forth the resolution

the author expected it to go through pretty much pro forma.

there's a reason white nationalists are flocking to tennessee and it ain't jack daniels
Considering how I feel about politicians in general, "grandstanding" doesn't have any more negative connotations for me than "politician."
Your objection is noted.

tripped up by a homonym....

woe is me, woe is me

<<<<<<

>>>>>>

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we urge law enforcement to recognize these white nationalist and neo-Nazi groups as terrorist organizations and to pursue the criminal elements of these domestic terrorist organizations in the same manner and with the same fervor used to protect the United States from other manifestations of terrorism.

That's a cheerleader speech, alright, but no judge in this land would regard it as a LAW informing charges. Pretty sure about that.

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/110/Bill/HJR0583.pdf

tripped up by a homonym....

woe is me, woe is me
Definitions are your friend...... :D

Forum List

Back