republican profiles in courage: tennessee edition

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
A House committee declined to pass a resolution that stated Tennessee denounces white nationalism and neo-Nazism.

The sponsor, Rep. John Ray Clemmons, D-Nashville, didn't receive a second motion to proceed with discussing the resolution in the House State Government Subcommittee on Wednesday.

"I'm in utter disbelief at what just happened," Clemmons said after the meeting. "I didn't think there was anything controversial about this resolution."

He said he had expected the resolution would be passed and placed on the House's consent calendar.

The subcommittee's sole Democrat, Rep. Darren Jernigan, D-Old Hickory, made the first motion, which was met with silence by the subcommittee's Republican members, Reps. Bill Sanderson, Bud Hulsey and Bob Ramsey.

After being cut off by Sanderson, the subcommittee chairman, from discussing the resolution, Clemmons was immediately granted a second motion to talk about an unrelated bill on studying state government contracts.
********************************************************************************

Tennessee legislators decline to pass resolution denouncing neo-Nazism

obviously, they don't want to alienate their base.

why would any moral human being want this kind of animal for their base?

it's a rhetorical question; don't hurt yourselves trying to answer it.

A House committee declined to pass a resolution that stated Tennessee denounces white nationalism and neo-Nazism.

The sponsor, Rep. John Ray Clemmons, D-Nashville, didn't receive a second motion to proceed with discussing the resolution in the House State Government Subcommittee on Wednesday.

"I'm in utter disbelief at what just happened," Clemmons said after the meeting. "I didn't think there was anything controversial about this resolution."

He said he had expected the resolution would be passed and placed on the House's consent calendar.

The subcommittee's sole Democrat, Rep. Darren Jernigan, D-Old Hickory, made the first motion, which was met with silence by the subcommittee's Republican members, Reps. Bill Sanderson, Bud Hulsey and Bob Ramsey.

After being cut off by Sanderson, the subcommittee chairman, from discussing the resolution, Clemmons was immediately granted a second motion to talk about an unrelated bill on studying state government contracts.
********************************************************************************

Had they passed it, what would the next resolution have censored?

since nothing was *censored* by this one, your guess is as good as mine.

keep swinging

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/Bills/110/Bill/HJR0583.pdf

Censor and censure are not the same thing, Will.

Probably because such a resolution is completely useless and nothing more than political grandstanding.
Nothing wrong with being on the record. Pols do it all the time.

English isn't your first language...... is it........

Long live the First Amendment.
Get yer head out yer ass, Cletus

This is a First Amendment victory, comrade oldfuck.
It is? What part of a resolution actually stifles free speech.......?

Freedom of speech, not terrorism. Amazing that idiots need this shit spelled out for them.
"Not TERRORISM?"
You drunk?
Most likely. :lol:

Forum List

Back