Republican Party platform of 1980

TR_GOP

Nov 30, 2008
Preamble presented for review and comparison to the Republican Party legacy as it stands 28 years later.

Republican Platform: A Preamble

The Republican Party convenes, presents this platform, and selects its nominees at a time of crisis. America is adrift. Our country moves agonizingly, aimlessly, almost helplessly into one of the most dangerous and disorderly periods in history.

At home, our economy careens, whiplashed from one extreme to another. Earlier this year, inflation skyrocketed to its highest levels in more than a century; weeks later, the economy plummeted, suffering its steepest slide on record. Prices escalate at more than 10 percent a year. More than eight million people seek employment. Manufacturing plants lie idle across the country. The hopes and aspirations of our people are being smothered.

Overseas, conditions already perilous, deteriorate. The Soviet Union for the first time is acquiring the means to obliterate or cripple our land-based missile system and blackmail us into submission. Marxist tyrannies spread more rapidly through the Third World and Latin America. Our alliances are frayed in Europe and elsewhere. Our energy supplies become even more dependent on uncertain foreign suppliers. In the ultimate humiliation, militant terrorists in Iran continue to toy with the lives of Americans.

These events are not isolated, or unrelated. They are signposts. They mark a continuing downward spiral in economic vitality and international influence. Should the trend continue, the 1980s promise to be our most dangerous years since World War II. History could record, if we let the drift go on, that the American experiment, so marvelously successful for 200 years, came strangely, needlessly, tragically to a dismal end early in our third century.

By far the most galling aspect of it all is that the chief architects of our decline—Democratic politicians—are without program or ideas to reverse it. Divided, leaderless, unseeing, uncomprehending, they plod on with listless offerings of pale imitations of the same policies they have pursued so long, knowing full well their futility. The Carter Administration is the unhappy and inevitable consequence of decades of increasingly outmoded Democratic domination of our national life. Over the past four years it has repeatedly demonstrated that it has no basic goals other than the perpetuation of its own rule and no guiding principle other than the fleeting insights provided by the latest opinion poll. Policies announced one day are disavowed or ignored the next, sowing confusion among Americans at home and havoc among our friends abroad.

Republicans, Democrats, and Independents have been watching and reading these signs. They have been watching incredulously as disaster after disaster unfolds. They now have had enough. They are rising up in 1980 to say that this confusion must end; this drift must end; we must pull ourselves together as a people before we slide irretrievably into the abyss.

It doesn't have to be this way; it doesn't have to stay this way. We, the Republican Party, hold ourselves forth as the Party best able to arrest and reverse the decline. We offer new ideas and candidates, from the top of our ticket to the bottom, who can bring to local and national leadership firm, steady hands and confidence and eagerness. We have unparalleled unity within our own ranks, especially between our presidential nominee and our Congressional membership. Most important, we go forth to the people with ideas and programs for the future that are as powerful and compelling as they are fresh. Together, we offer a new beginning for America.

Our foremost goal here at home is simple: economic growth and full employment without inflation. Sweeping change in economic policy in America is needed so that Mr. Carter's promise of hard times and austerity—his one promise well kept—can be replaced with Republican policies that promise economic growth and job creation. It is our belief that the stagflation of recent years not only has consigned millions of citizens to hardship but also has bottled up the enormous ingenuity and creative powers of our people. Those energies will not be released by the sterile policies of the past: we specifically reject the Carter doctrine that inflation can be reduced only by throwing people out of work. Prosperity will not be regained simply by government fiat. Rather, we must offer broad new incentives to labor and capital to stimulate a great outpouring of private goods and services and to create an abundance of jobs. From America's grass roots to the White House we will stand united as a party behind a bold program of tax rate reductions, spending restraints, and regulatory reforms that will inject new life into the economic bloodstream of this country.

Overseas, our goal is equally simple and direct: to preserve a world at peace by keeping America strong. This philosophy once occupied a hallowed place in American diplomacy, but it was casually, even cavalierly dismissed at the outset by the Carter Administration—and the results have been shattering. Never before in modern history has the United States endured as many ppp humiliations, insults, and defeats as it has during the past four years: our ambassadors murdered, our embassies burned, our warnings ignored, our diplomacy scorned, our diplomats kidnapped. The Carter Administration has shown that it neither understands totalitarianism nor appreciates the way tyrants take advantage of weakness. The brutal invasion of Afghanistan promises to be only the forerunner of much more serious threats to the West—and to world peace—should the Carter Administration somehow cling to power.

Republicans are united in a belief that America's international humiliation and decline can be reversed only by strong presidential leadership and a consistent, far-sighted foreign policy, supported by a major upgrading of our military forces, a strengthening of our commitments to our allies, and a resolve that our national interests be vigorously protected. Ultimately, those who practice strength and firmness truly guard the peace.

This platform addresses many concerns of our Party. We seek to restore the family, the neighborhood, the community, and the workplace as vital alternatives in our national life to ever-expanding federal power.

We affirm our deep commitment to the fulfillment of the hopes and aspirations of all Americans—blacks and whites, women and men, the young and old, rural and urban.

For too many years, the political debate in America has been conducted in terms set by the Democrats. They believe that every time new problems arise beyond the power of men and women as individuals to solve, it becomes the duty of government to solve them, as if there were never any alternative. Republicans disagree and have always taken the side of the individual, whose freedoms are threatened by the big government that Democratic idea has spawned. Our case for the individual is stronger than ever. A defense of the individual against government was never more needed. And we will continue to mount it.

But we will redefine and broaden the debate by transcending the narrow terms of government and the individual; those are not the only two realities in America. Our society consists of more than that; so should the political debate. We will reemphasize those vital communities like the family, the neighborhood, the workplace, and others which are found at the center of society, between government and the individual. We will restore and strengthen their ability to solve problems in the places where people spend their daily lives and can turn to each other for support and help.

We seek energy independence through economic policies that free up our energy production and encourage conservation. We seek improvements in health care, education, housing, and opportunities for youth. We seek new avenues for the needy to break out of the tragic cycle of dependency. All of these goals—and many others—we confidently expect to achieve through a rebirth of liberty and resurgence of private initiatives, for we believe that at the root of most of our troubles today is the misguided and discredited philosophy of an all-powerful government, ceaselessly striving to subsidize, manipulate, and control individuals. But it is the individual, not the government, who reigns at the center of our Republican philosophy.

To those Democrats who say Americans must be content to passively accept the gradual but inexorable decline of America, we answer: The American people have hardly begun to marshal their talents and resources or realize the accomplishments and dreams that only freedom can inspire.

To those Democrats who say we face an "age of limits," we ask: Who knows the limit to what Americans can do when their capacity for work, creativity, optimism, and faith is enhanced and supported by strong and responsive political leadership and ideals.

To those who, with Mr. Carter, say the American people suffer from a national "malaise," we respond: The only malaise in this country is found in the leadership of the Democratic Party, in the White House and in Congress. Its symptoms are an incompetence to lead, a refusal to change, and a reluctance to act. This malaise has become epidemic in Washington. Its cure is government led by Republicans who share the values of the majority of Americans.

Republicans pledge a restoration of balance in American society. But society cannot be balanced by the actions of government or of individuals alone. Balance is found at society's vital center, where we find the family and the neighborhood and the workplace.

America will not, however, achieve any of these goals on its present course nor under its present leadership. The uncharted course of Mr. Carter will lead surely to catastrophe. By reversing our economic decline, by reversing our international decline, we can and will resurrect our dreams.

And so, in this 1980 Republican Platform, we call out to the American people: With God's help, let us now, together, make America great again; let us now, together, make a new beginning.

Free Individuals in a Free Society

It has long been a fundamental conviction of the Republican Party that government should foster in our society a climate of maximum individual liberty and freedom of choice. Properly informed, our people as individuals or acting through instruments of popular consultation can make the right decisions affecting personal or general welfare, free of pervasive and heavy-handed intrusion by the central government into the decisionmaking process. This tenet is the genius of representative democracy.

Republicans also treasure the ethnic, cultural, and regional diversity of our people. This diversity fosters a dynamism in American society that is the envy of the world.ppp

residency.ucsb.edu/showplatforms.php?platindex=R1980

The Republicans legacy is a $9 trillion dollar National Debt created by Reagan and Bush, and a nation in shambles.

Are republicans ever going to stop pining, and getting teary-eyed over a man and a campaign that happened more than a quarter century ago? At a time when many young wingnut posters weren't even out of diapers yet? It's like the 40 year old man, pathetically pining for some old high school flame.

In a way its not surprising, from the party that has nominated Bob Dole, George Dumbya Bush, Dan Quayle, Sarah Palin, Poppy Bush, and Old Man McCain.

I think the ticket out of the GOP doldrums is Mike Huckabee and Sarah Palin.

Huckabee/Palin 2012!

Reposting the same debunked shit, does not make it true kirkybot

Try understanding little things like intergovernmental holdings, social security funds and the spending of them, etc... The debt of our country is not just because of republicans, as you would like to spew because it advances your leftist agenda.... Clinton indeed put much debt on this country... but of course you have to really want to look at the whole picture and not just the snapshot that boosts your warped agenda

fucking moron

Reposting the same debunked shit, does not make it true kirkybot

Try understanding little things like intergovernmental holdings, social security funds and the spending of them, etc... The debt of our country is not just because of republicans, as you would like to spew because it advances your leftist agenda.... Clinton indeed put much debt on this country... but of course you have to really want to look at the whole picture and not just the snapshot that boosts your warped agenda

fucking moron

The calculation details are straight from the treasury website.

Tax cut and spend Republicans created 90% of the National Debt....

The calculation details are straight from the treasury website.

Tax cut and spend Republicans created 90% of the National Debt....

Again... start looking at intergovernmental holdingas and spending that is NOT listed as part of the "public debt"... that is where Clinton played his shell game with his spending and his very real debt and deficit spending

But nice try...

Next time though... try looking at the whole picture and understanding how things really work... kirkybot

Again... start looking at intergovernmental holdingas and spending that is NOT listed as part of the "public debt"... that is where Clinton played his shell game with his spending and his very real debt and deficit spending

But nice try...

Next time though... try looking at the whole picture and understanding how things really work... kirkybot

Here's how things work....

You can't have massive increases in military spending while you are cutting taxes without creating massive debt.

Nice try at deflection, though.

Here's how things work....

You can't have massive increases in military spending while you are cutting taxes without creating massive debt.

Nice try at deflection, though.

Me deflection?? Did I claim that any of the Republican Presidents or any Republican controlled congress ran a surplus? Nope.... Am I happy with increasing debt? Nope... I am straight up for the elimination of wasteful governmental spending on entitlement programs etc and balancing the budget

I am here to continually debunk your myth posting... .because even if you won't admit it, I will not let your constant myth posting remain unchallenged so that someone may think you are posting fact and starts believing you

• Thanks
Reactions: del
Me deflection?? Did I claim that any of the Republican Presidents or any Republican controlled congress ran a surplus? Nope.... Am I happy with increasing debt? Nope... I am straight up for the elimination of wasteful governmental spending on entitlement programs etc and balancing the budget

I am here to continually debunk your myth posting... .because even if you won't admit it, I will not let your constant myth posting remain unchallenged so that someone may think you are posting fact and starts believing you

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post this link again....

ReaganBushDebt.org Calculation Details

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to post this link again....

[I'm not allowed to post Urls without 15 posts so I've omitted this part of Chris's post]

You've made the interesting point that the three Republican Presidents were directly responsible for the accrual of the national debt. I think this is a nice partisan talking point and doesn't reflect reality.

First, you have to agree that Democrats didn't agree with all the Reagan and Bush I budget cuts and thus contributed in part to the accrual of the national debt by adding their own amendments of the Reagan and Bush I cuts. By virtue of adding their own spending, the Democrats can be held responsible jointly with Reagan.

Second, the Republican Congress forced Clinton to come faster to a balanced budget than he had envisioned. In 1995, Clinton basically wanted to balance the budget over 7 years. The Republicans made him reach that balanced budget faster (if you recall Gingrich and Jim Kasich of Ohio's strategizing on how to cut expenditures in order to reach a faster balanced budget). Clinton does not hold sole credit for balancing the budget - Republicans held him to the fire and helped him balance it.

As for Bush Jr., since Republicans did control Congress, I concede that point. It's well known that Bush and his Congressional Republicans have spent money like drunken sailors.

However, to place spending issues at the feet of one party is not necessarily wise. It ignores many facets of the debate and simplifies really the fact that both parties have spent inordinate amounts of money.

(I mean, Obama will have a deficit for at least the first two years. Should we blame Obama for increasing the national debt? To say nothing of the fact that we could easily say that Roosevelt, Truman and Kennedy all increased the national debt!)

You've made the interesting point that the three Republican Presidents were directly responsible for the accrual of the national debt. I think this is a nice partisan talking point and doesn't reflect reality.

First, you have to agree that Democrats didn't agree with all the Reagan and Bush I budget cuts and thus contributed in part to the accrual of the national debt by adding their own amendments of the Reagan and Bush I cuts. By virtue of adding their own spending, the Democrats can be held responsible jointly with Reagan.

Second, the Republican Congress forced Clinton to come faster to a balanced budget than he had envisioned. In 1995, Clinton basically wanted to balance the budget over 7 years. The Republicans made him reach that balanced budget faster (if you recall Gingrich and Jim Kasich of Ohio's strategizing on how to cut expenditures in order to reach a faster balanced budget). Clinton does not hold sole credit for balancing the budget - Republicans held him to the fire and helped him balance it.

As for Bush Jr., since Republicans did control Congress, I concede that point. It's well known that Bush and his Congressional Republicans have spent money like drunken sailors.

However, to place spending issues at the feet of one party is not necessarily wise. It ignores many facets of the debate and simplifies really the fact that both parties have spent inordinate amounts of money.

(I mean, Obama will have a deficit for at least the first two years. Should we blame Obama for increasing the national debt? To say nothing of the fact that we could easily say that Roosevelt, Truman and Kennedy all increased the national debt!)

Reagan is the one that embraced "supply side economics" and cut taxes while increasing military spending. Reagan was aided by Dixiecrats who were DINO.

Bush did the same thing with a Republican Congress.

So yes, Bush and Reagan ARE responsible for 90% of the National Debt.

Last edited:
Interesting read I wonder what it read like before FDR inherited the last really great republican mess. Or even Clinton's inheritance of the Reagan mess or poor Carter who had the Nixon/Ford's mess. Seems words alone don't do the job well.

Reagan is the one that embraced "supply side economics" and cut taxes while increasing military spending. Reagan was aided by Dixiecrats who were DINO.

Bush did the same thing with a Republican Congress.

So yes, Bush and Reagan ARE responsible for 90% of the National Debt.

In 1982, the Democratic majority is - in O'Neill's own words from his autobiography - a majority that is no longer at the mercy of the DINO's. That would seem to place some blame on the liberals in Congress. Especially again since the Senate returned to Democratic control in 1986. And you've completely side stepped the elder Bush's Presidency.

I've already addressed Junior's situation.

I don't believe your point is valid still for Reagan and the elder Bush.

In 1982, the Democratic majority is - in O'Neill's own words from his autobiography - a majority that is no longer at the mercy of the DINO's. That would seem to place some blame on the liberals in Congress. Especially again since the Senate returned to Democratic control in 1986. And you've completely side stepped the elder Bush's Presidency.

I've already addressed Junior's situation.

I don't believe your point is valid still for Reagan and the elder Bush.

Reagan's tax cuts and huge increases in defense spending created a massive deficit. They were voted in by the Republicans in Congress combined with Southern Dixiecrats.

Reagan's own budget director Phil Stockman described the tax cuts as a "trojan horse" to lower taxes for the rich.

Reagan's tax cuts and huge increases in defense spending created a massive deficit. They were voted in by the Republicans in Congress combined with Southern Dixiecrats.

Reagan's own budget director Phil Stockman described the tax cuts as a "trojan horse" to lower taxes for the rich.

Chris ...........

When Reagan was running for office, did you listen to his speeches and read his proposals?

Forum List

Back