Republican Governors gather to lament sorry state of party

BlackAsCoal

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2008
GOP governors gather in Miami, lament losses, look to remake party

MIAMI — Eager to get beyond last week's electoral disaster, Republicans came to Florida on Wednesday to surround themselves with models of political success: youthful and moderate governors such as Charlie Crist, Bobby Jindal and Tim Pawlenty.

But it didn't bolster spirits much.

Eight days after Sen. Barack Obama's historic presidential victory, the sense of gloom only deepened at a meeting of the Republican Governors Association as GOP leaders spoke candidly about how far they have fallen and how big a rebuilding job lies ahead.

Taking stock of their diminished status at a bayfront hotel, Republicans said they lost the youth vote and Hispanic vote to Democrats, and what progress they made with black voters in years past now appears gone as voters celebrate the nation's first African-American president. This crowd is primarily male and white, which underscores the party's need for more diversity.

Not one Republican is in Congress from the six New England states, and Democrats are making inroads in the Great Lakes states and Mountain West.

"We're fundamentally staring down a demographic shift that we've never seen before in America," said Utah Gov. Jon Huntsman.

---

The downbeat mood was evident when pollster Luntz made an attempt to joke about the corruption conviction of Alaska Sen. Stevens, saying he was going from being a Senate institution to "living in an institution." The ballroom fell silent.

more at link
GOP governors gather in Miami, lament losses, look to remake party - St. Petersburg Times

Here's a tip .. get smarter .. beg Michael Obama to take the RNC post .. send Palin back to Mossefuck, Alaska.

I think they are fundamentally on the right track. I think they should stick to focusing on the culture wars, the war on christmas, being anti-gay, and anti-muslim, anti-stem cell research, and pro-creation science.

I think they should continue to stick to their harsh rhetoric on immigration and hispanics, and I think they should continue to mock welfare mothers. I think they should continue to invest enourmous amounts of time and energy into stopping gay marriage and gay equality.

I think those are clever strategies, and I hope they stick to them.

I think they are fundamentally on the right track. I think they should stick to focusing on the culture wars, the war on christmas, being anti-gay, and anti-muslim, anti-stem cell research, and pro-creation science.

I think they should continue to stick to their harsh rhetoric on immigration and hispanics, and I think they should continue to mock welfare mothers. I think they should continue to invest enourmous amounts of time and energy into stopping gay marriage and gay equality.

I think those are clever strategies, and I hope they stick to them.

I agree, no jobs and more wars is a platform we can all get behind. Keep up the good work Republicans, dont forget to remind us in 2010 what parts of the country are pro america.

Forum List

Back