Debate Now Republican candidates discussion, Conservative/libertarian/tea party only

Does anyone think Chris Christie should even try? After he helped obama during Romney's run I won't vote for him......

I've never been impressed with Christy. He's a fake Republican in my book

Does anyone think Chris Christie should even try? After he helped obama during Romney's run I won't vote for him......

Consider the possibility that Christie might have been reacting as one who considered a real liberal to be less potentially dangerous than a closet liberal. Still, if that were the case, he could have given thought avoiding contact with both.

Other than Christie and Bush, I'm pretty happy with the list of options for the Republican primary elections...SOOO much better than 2012.

Of those who have thrown their hat in the ring thus far, Walker is likely my first choice and Rubio probably my second when it comes to electability.

Hillary isn't a far left favorite like Obama was. 2012 was the time a Cruz could get elected, because the moderates in our party (everyone who supported and elected Romney in the 2012 primary) would have leaned away from Obama's far left ideology and chosen a far right leaning Cruz type Republican over Obama.

But Hillary is much more moderate, and those moderate Republicans who gave us McCain and Romney will likely defect to Hillary if given the choice between Cruz and Hillary.

Personally, I'll likely support Perry again.

It may well be that the key to a Republican victory may not be due to the selection of a presidential candidate. Rather, the pairing of nominees for President and Vice President. That's nothing new - it was the stuff of conventions before they became TV reality shows instead of actual nominating conventions.

Walker/Rubio wouldn't work.

Rubio/Walker less likely.

Walker/Cruz is tempting but I don't think realistic.

Walker/Fiorina might just do it but I'd like Walker/Condi Rice better. Not only because I think she'd be good but also because it would sway a lot of Democrats particularly if Hillary makes an imprudent choice. Something on which I believe we can count.

Last edited:
Thank you 2aguy for this thread. Great idea to sort of have a conservative corner. I am so weary of the Same People with the same crap in the politics section with such a total lack of civility and reason. Although in a twisted way I do believe dem and rep operatives are surfing these threads for ideas and input and I hope we are not giving away state secrets here. Don't I wish

Let me start out by saying I am probably a real news junkie and watch more of it than I should, but I have developed strong opinions on what is needed by repubs to win. We have to have a fighter, a puncher, a sense of humor, a man or woman of action, and a younger new generation republican. An attacker not a defender, and this person must have a lot of solutions for problems. What everyone is missing is that if someone had a vision and programs to get to that vision and the commitment and belief in that vision, people would follow. I want to see action. Get er done. Less talk and more action. Be a leader, a statesman, and above all do what's best for the country according to our heritage, traditions, and constitution. Finally believe in the rule of law and EQUAL justice for all.

So with all that blow who is my man. Alert: it is very early and anything can happen. Who ain't gonna make the grade; huckabee, bush, fiorino, Carson, not because I don't like them, but because for one reason or another they can't beat the Hilary machine. Walker is steady,
Solid Midwest, but he is not exciting and he will not energize the young vote. Cruz is laser like. He will shred Hilary like a ginzu knife in debates but he looks like Dracula and has the radical tea party label, deserved or not, hanging around his neck. His biggest claim to fame is shutting down the govt, for reasons of principle I understand, but I don't believe he can overcome the gunslinger image in the general election. Rand Paul I like because he is fearless about going to enemy territory to preach the gospel, but he too has neither the gravitas nor can in bring in the whales to donate.

I have become very enamored of Rubio in the last week. Yes I live in Florida and know a little more about him, but what has changed my mind is his rollout last week. He was almost in tears giving his entry speech, so we had real sincere emotion. He nailed Hilary with the yesterday thing. He has a vision and he is young. In his one hour interview with Hannity he answered every question Sean threw at him. He did not equivocate, and he had a lot of good answers. Those who doubt me pull up the interview. He is smart, quick and impressive. I actually get the idea we are watching a future historical figure maturing and growing before our eyes. You can see him gaining more confidence with every interview, and he went to a lot of inhospitable studios to do interviews, he didn't shy away from anyone or refuse to answer any questions.

The honeymoon won't last long, but I think the boy has staying power. He makes a great contrast to Hilary. He will put a dent in the Spanish and black voting blocks, he can bridge the divide between the tea party and the establishment, he will bring the 2 million re pubs who stayed home last election back, and he will breath new life into the grand ole party. I am sure I will have my heart broke before it's over, I'm sure I will have to hold my nose on some things, but it's time to shake things up. Thanks again for the thread.

Last edited:
Thank you 2aguy for this thread. Great idea to sort of have a conservative corner. I am so weary of the Same People with the same crap in the politics section with such a total lack of civility and reason. Although in a twisted way I do believe dem and rep operatives are surfing these threads for ideas and input and I hope we are not giving away state secrets here. Don't I wish

Let me start out by saying I am probably a real news junkie and watch more of it than I should, but I have developed strong opinions on what is needed by repubs to win. We have to have a fighter, a puncher, a sense of humor, a man or woman of action, and a younger new generation republican. An attacker not a defender, and this person must have a lot of solutions for problems. What everyone is missing is that if someone had a vision and programs to get to that vision and the commitment and belief in that vision, people would follow. I want to see action. Get er done. Less talk and more action. Be a leader, a statesman, and above all do what's best for the country according to our heritage, traditions, and constitution. Finally believe in the rule of law and EQUAL justice for all.

So with all that blow who is my man. Alert: it is very early and anything can happen. Who ain't gonna make the grade; huckabee, bush, fiorino, Carson, not because I don't like them, but because for one reason or another they can't beat the Hilary machine. Walker is steady,
Solid Midwest, but he is not exciting and he will not energize the young vote. Cruz is laser like. He will shred Hilary like a ginzu knife in debates but he looks like Dracula and has the radical tea party label, deserved or not, hanging around his neck. His biggest claim to fame is shutting down the govt, for reasons of principle I understand, but I don't believe he can overcome the gunslinger image in the general election. Rand Paul I like because he is fearless about going to enemy territory to preach the gospel, but he too has neither the gravitas nor can in bring in the whales to donate.

I have become very enamored of Rubio in the last week. Yes I live in Florida and know a little more about him, but what has changed my mind is his rollout last week. He was almost in tears giving his entry speech, so we had real sincere emotion. He nailed Hilary with the yesterday thing. He has a vision and he is young. In his one hour interview with Hannity he answered every question Sean threw at him. He did not equivocate, and he had a lot of good answers. Those who doubt me pull up the interview. He is smart, quick and impressive. I actually get the idea we are watching a future historical figure maturing and growing before our eyes. You can see him gaining more confidence with every interview, and he went to a lot of inhospitable studios to do interviews, he didn't shy away from anyone or refuse to answer any questions.

The honeymoon won't last long, but I think the boy has staying power. He makes a great contrast to Hilary. He will put a dent in the Spanish and black voting blocks, he can bridge the divide between the tea party and the establishment, he will bring the 2 million re pubs who stayed home last election back, and he will breath new life into the grand ole party. I am sure I will have my heart broke before it's over, I'm sure I will have to hold my nose on some things, but it's time to shake things up. Thanks again for the thread.
He's a genuinely nice guy. I met him in Miami when he was running for the Senate. I talked to him for 15 minutes and not until I was ready to leave, did he introduce himself. He never did ask for my vote, but I suppose that would have been understood from our conversation.

One quality that you missed is superficial, but, he is a good looking guy. Say what you want, but Kennedy beat Nixon on good looks. Clinton beat Bush on good looks and obama beat McCain and to a lesser extent, Romney in part, on good looks.

It doesn't hurt that he's got cute young kids and a smart gorgeous wife. Think JFK.

As much as I'd like to support this person or that, I know the reality of our situation.

most of the media will lie about the gop and lie in support of the dnc. Nothing important will be considered important and the most useless non-sense will be headliners.

just look at obamas re-election

I agree...that is one of the reasons our only chance will be with a proven fighter...someone who doesn't fold under media pressure and who can turn the fight back on the democrat candidate.....

I fear Rubio, and Bush are not fighters of that nature...

as Dan Proft said on his radio show...the Republicans need more street fighters and fewer cake eaters.....the democrats are all street fighters and take no prisoners.....

They will force open sealed divorce records....and do absolutely anything to get elected....
dems are not street fighters, they are pussy thugs that need to gang up on another person.

It will be literately one person against the leftist machine. The truth will never be heard.

Let me give two more examples of why Rubio was impressive.

When hannity asked him what he would do about Iran Rubio responded, Look, they have a choice, they can have a bomb or an economy. Now this is the kind of simple straightforward language that people can understand, and it is not war mongering. And as someone who has struggled and been confounded by the Iran problem, I am happy to have someone boil it down so succinctly as to what the real choices are.

One of hannity a other questions was about the gay bakery thing. Rubio said there was a difference between how we treated an individual and how you treat an event. We must treat individuals equally but we do not have the same yardstick when treating events or activities and we cannot force people,to,participate against their will. Now that is a most defensible way of looking at the situation from a conservative standpoint.

I am not gaga over Rubio but he is finally giving the troops in the field something to work with. It does not hurt that he and Mike Lee have proposed have proposed a new tax policy. It may not be the answer but it is something. We don't have to listen to the republicans don't have a plan spiel anymore. The man has served on the foreign affairs committee in the senate. He was the youngest speaker of the house in Florida history. He will not run for senate in 2016 at the same time he is running for president. If he makes it through the primaries Hilary will have to respond with plans of her own.
No wonder the Hilary campaign figures Rubio as their number 2 worst nightmare.

My preference is for any GOP candidate who can:

1. Beat Hillary;

2. Increase GOP margins in Congress and State Legislatures; and

3. Rally support for a Constitutional Convention.

This may be our last chance to save the Republic.

My preference is for any GOP candidate who can:

1. Beat Hillary;

2. Increase GOP margins in Congress and State Legislatures; and

3. Rally support for a Constitutional Convention.

This may be our last chance to save the Republic.

I am always leary of the Constitutional Convention...imagine what the libs would put in there if they had half a chance......

Did anyone hear Scott Walker answer the "GOTCHA" question of this cycle...the gay wedding question...he handled it well...heard it on Dennis Prager's radio show today....

Looks like the lefties will have to find a new gotcha question...this crop of conservative/libertarian/Tea Party candidates aren't as dumb as the dole/mccain/romney guys......

Stephen Moore was on with local radio hosts Dan and Amy....he said at least 4 of the Republican candidates will be pushing for a flat tax...and he has been advising Rand Paul and Paul will be coming out with one of the lowest Flat Tax Proposals......

Kelly Anne Conway....I always liked her...when she would laugh at the defenders of President Sexual Predator it was always great........used to make them mad....

Anyway....here is Scott Walker on immigration and her polling results....

GOP Pollster Scott Walker s Immigration Stance Winning Hand

Conway said of Walker:

The left will try to caricature him as union-busting, as anti-worker. This gives him the opportunity to say ‘if you’re for amnesty, you’re anti-worker. What I am is pro-worker. It is anti government corruption. Having public sector union members expect Wisconsin taxpayers pay 100 percent of their benefits, that wasn’t fair.’ It’s a matter of fairness. Allow him to explain all of that as pro-worker not anti-worker and if he can do that he’ll be fine. Also, this gives him a distinction among a Republican field that’s getting increasingly crowded. This allows him to be seen as a working-class, populist hero—a working class governor who’s a natural populist, it’s just a natural fit. I don’t know if Mitt Romney could have pulled this off. Then you fast forward and you think of this idea versus Hillary Clinton—if she even has anything to say on immigration—this is the winning hand. This is absolutely the winning hand.

Walker this week rolled out a newly strengthened position on immigration, one that focuses on protecting American workers’ job prospects and wages from a massive influx in either legal or illegal immigration.

Likely to get my vote as if this date in descending order of likelihood:

1. Ted Cruz
2. Rand Paul
3. Marco Rubio
4. Scott Walker

There are no others on this list, yet. And Jeb Bush will never be on this list.

Not a lot of love for Jeb..........yet the press loves him........hmmmmmmm

I am a Floridian, have been since 1966. In the early 80s there was a huge S&L scandal in south Florida. Many people lost everything. Jeb Bush made millions. He avoided prosecution because his daddy was VP. Many of us in Florida have not forgotten. Even if he was a true conservative instead of a 1st degree Progressive Republican, I wouldnt vote for him.

I am always leary of the Constitutional Convention...imagine what the libs would put in there if they had half a chance......

A Constitutional Convention is the ONLY chance we have to make structural reforms to the federal government, since it gives small (generally conservative) States the same voting power as big (generally liberal) States. It only takes 34 State legislatures to call a Constitutional Convention and 38 States to pass Constitutional Amendments. What are you afraid of?

Forum List

Back