Debate Now Republican candidates discussion, Conservative/libertarian/tea party only

I am always leary of the Constitutional Convention...imagine what the libs would put in there if they had half a chance......

A Constitutional Convention is the ONLY chance we have to make structural reforms to the federal government, since it gives small (generally conservative) States the same voting power as big (generally liberal) States. It only takes 34 State legislatures to call a Constitutional Convention and 38 States to pass Constitutional Amendments. What are you afraid of?
Repeal the 17th!

I am always leary of the Constitutional Convention...imagine what the libs would put in there if they had half a chance......

A Constitutional Convention is the ONLY chance we have to make structural reforms to the federal government, since it gives small (generally conservative) States the same voting power as big (generally liberal) States. It only takes 34 State legislatures to call a Constitutional Convention and 38 States to pass Constitutional Amendments. What are you afraid of?
Repeal the 17th!

Well....the libs could try to repeal the 2nd Amendment.....add in Amendments about mandatory tax levels.....any number of things...we have to be very careful what we open up to the libs.......

Perhaps our republicans this year can handle the cheap shots by the democrat controlled press.....Rubio, Cruz and Paul have all fought off ambushes by these creeps.....and now...Bruce Jenner...yeah...not a candidate, but this piece points out how attacking Republicans on the gay issues is not working out according to plan.....

Gay Panic Jenner Rubio Cruz Shock Parochial Mainstream Media - Breitbart

Earlier this same week, among others, The New York Times was flabbergasted to discover that Republican Senator Ted Cruz would love his daughters just as much if they were gay. Cruz was also the star of a political event this week hosted by two openly gay hoteliers. The Times was so startled by this Cruz felt compelled to issue a statement.

“It speaks volumes that the New York Times considers it newsworthy that a Republican who believes marriage is between a man and a woman would meet with people who hold a different view,” said Cruz.

Another Republican presidential hopeful, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, made all kinds of headlines when he said something that would not surprise anyone who has spent any amount of time with a conservative Christian — that he would attend a same sex wedding. Out here in the real world this is a dog-bites-man story. Nevertheless, our media considered it as newsworthy as the sinking of the Titanic.

The media’s ignorance when it comes to how conservatives and Christians view everything, including gays, is an obvious byproduct of bigotry, ignorance, and an insulated echo chamber.

I personally do not know a single conservative Christian who hates homosexuals. Moreover, I don’t know any conservative Christian who takes issue with offering, through civil unions, committed same sex couples all the same rights married couples enjoy.

Perhaps our republicans this year can handle the cheap shots by the democrat controlled press.....Rubio, Cruz and Paul have all fought off ambushes by these creeps.....and now...Bruce Jenner...yeah...not a candidate, but this piece points out how attacking Republicans on the gay issues is not working out according to plan.....

Gay Panic Jenner Rubio Cruz Shock Parochial Mainstream Media - Breitbart

Earlier this same week, among others, The New York Times was flabbergasted to discover that Republican Senator Ted Cruz would love his daughters just as much if they were gay. Cruz was also the star of a political event this week hosted by two openly gay hoteliers. The Times was so startled by this Cruz felt compelled to issue a statement.

“It speaks volumes that the New York Times considers it newsworthy that a Republican who believes marriage is between a man and a woman would meet with people who hold a different view,” said Cruz.

Another Republican presidential hopeful, Florida Senator Marco Rubio, made all kinds of headlines when he said something that would not surprise anyone who has spent any amount of time with a conservative Christian — that he would attend a same sex wedding. Out here in the real world this is a dog-bites-man story. Nevertheless, our media considered it as newsworthy as the sinking of the Titanic.

The media’s ignorance when it comes to how conservatives and Christians view everything, including gays, is an obvious byproduct of bigotry, ignorance, and an insulated echo chamber.

I personally do not know a single conservative Christian who hates homosexuals. Moreover, I don’t know any conservative Christian who takes issue with offering, through civil unions, committed same sex couples all the same rights married couples enjoy.

I am intellectually and emotionally drawn to Cruz just for a remark like: “It speaks volumes that the New York Times considers it newsworthy that a Republican who believes marriage is between a man and a woman would meet with people who hold a different view,” We need a whole lot more straight forward communication like that and a whole lot less walking on eggs and trying to appear to be politically correct. On economic issues, I agree with Cruz about 70%. On social issues well under 50%, but I don't vote for a President based on social issues.

So I would say that if I had to name the name who would be President right now, today, at this moment, that name would probably be Ted Cruz. But it is a long time until the election and I could easily see that somebody else would be a better choice between now and then.

Every time I take one of those 'which candidate most closely represents your views' quizzes, Ben Carson always leads the pack. And I do like him a lot. But I don't think Ben has the experience or the charisma to get elected. But I could be wrong.

(I would also say that it speaks volumes about the gay community who rose up against the hotel owners who hosted Ted Cruz. Obviously some don't think different points of view should ever be allowed.)

Last edited:
Did anybody take the quiz in Post #45? As I said, my choice keeps coming up Ben Carson who I had pretty well decided against because I think he's too nice--he wouldn't stand up against the undiluted hate and viciousness that would be thrown at him plus I didn't think he had the political and business experience or connections to put together a good team to work with him.

Well. . . I spent some time this morning to listen to his announcement speech. He put all my fears to rest. He knows what kind of shit is going to be thrown at him. He recognizes that he lacks certain experience but has already put together a team that brings the experience he lacks, plus he convinced me his own personal skill sets are up to the job.

In short, he stirred in me feelings of hope and possibilities that I have not felt for a very long time now.

Unless something changes, sorry Ted Cruz, but for now, Ben Carson is my man.

it must be nice to be a democrat when you go on talk shows and the libs hosting the show support you......

Carly Fiorina Seth Meyers Late Night website domain

This is how you handle a situation the media desperately wants to turn into a “crisis.” Fiorina owned her actions at HP (and the layoffs), didn’t fight the “wow, someone should have bought that domain” narrative, and turned the tables with a classy-yet-sassy joke.

She may not be at the top of the deck yet, but her ability to pull this off without coming across as defensive and vulnerable makes me want to take a second look at what she has to offer.

When a republican has to fight the other candidate, the press, and hollywood at the same time to get elected, it is amazing any of them get elected.....

it must be nice to be a democrat when you go on talk shows and the libs hosting the show support you......

Carly Fiorina Seth Meyers Late Night website domain

This is how you handle a situation the media desperately wants to turn into a “crisis.” Fiorina owned her actions at HP (and the layoffs), didn’t fight the “wow, someone should have bought that domain” narrative, and turned the tables with a classy-yet-sassy joke.

She may not be at the top of the deck yet, but her ability to pull this off without coming across as defensive and vulnerable makes me want to take a second look at what she has to offer.

When a republican has to fight the other candidate, the press, and hollywood at the same time to get elected, it is amazing any of them get elected.....

Bottom line, lately it has been the libs' choice of candidate who gets nominated for President. And of course that candidate is one they can then most easily demonize and make sure doesn't get elected.

I've been noting the wrinkled noses and 'bad smell' faces of many fellow conservatives as Mike Huckabee and Ben Carson have formally announced their candidacies.

But you know what? I am looking at a nation that is sick. A nation in which more and more people see no reason that a child needs a mom and a dad, that justify punks and thugs hurting people, burning down businesses, looting, and creating chaos, that more and more reject the values and institutions that have helped create a strong, self-reliant, and morally straight people.

Maybe it will be a Ben Carson or Mike Huckabee who are running on principles and values and what is right and wrong instead of how much they can do for everybody else who will strike a responsive chord? Might catch on as what we are actually looking for?

I don't know. But I do know Ben Carson, who I hadn't been willing to consider at all, got to me. I hope others will listen.

I am enjoying the contrast between the aristocratic coronation of Hilary and the most American contest between a slew of very impressive contestants for the the republican nomination. Exhibit A is huckabee sitting before a friendly but serious panel of questioners on Megan Kelly's show and answering questions where no punches were pulled. Carson subjected himself to some tough questioning too by Kelly. Fiorona is very impressive under questioning too. We have diversity and smarts that the Dems can only dream about . Can anyone imagine Hilary going through this process? She'd crack up faster than Humpty Dumpty. So far it has been substantive and informative run. Hoping it can stay that way through the debates is wishful thinking maybe, but republican candidates have acquited themselves well so far, each one has his or her own star power and healthy portions of brainpower. It's just a start but it is an impressive one. Republicans need to advertise such and contrast it with Hilary's ox in a ditch.

I am enjoying the contrast between the aristocratic coronation of Hilary and the most American contest between a slew of very impressive contestants for the the republican nomination. Exhibit A is huckabee sitting before a friendly but serious panel of questioners on Megan Kelly's show and answering questions where no punches were pulled. Carson subjected himself to some tough questioning too by Kelly. Fiorona is very impressive under questioning too. We have diversity and smarts that the Dems can only dream about . Can anyone imagine Hilary going through this process? She'd crack up faster than Humpty Dumpty. So far it has been substantive and informative run. Hoping it can stay that way through the debates is wishful thinking maybe, but republican candidates have acquited themselves well so far, each one has his or her own star power and healthy portions of brainpower. It's just a start but it is an impressive one. Republicans need to advertise such and contrast it with Hilary's ox in a ditch.

Hillary isn't granting interviews. She doesn't have to. All she has to is wait for that coronation because her base doesn't give a flying fig about what she believes in or can accomplish. She has the right letter after her name.

I just hope ALL the GOP hopefuls go that thoughtful interview route with all the tough questions instead of tearing each other apart so that the best guy or gal likely won't win the nomination.

Well...if tough questions was the only thing they faced it would be a nice change...but the democrat party allies in the democrat controlled main stream media are going to support hillary as much as they can...and they will do that by taking down as many challengers as possible...

Charles Krauthammer made the point we all know....he said the main stream press will pursue the scandals involving hilary only so far before they actually hurt her chances.....that is the advantage she has......

Look at this interview with Ted Cruz by political hack mark halperin....democrat minion....

Ruben Navarrette Halperin interview of Ted Cruz was painful - San Jose Mercury News

But then Halperin made it personal, and the interview careened into a ditch. He told Cruz that people are curious about his "identity." Then, the host asked a series of questions intended to establish his guest's Hispanic bona fides. What kind of Cuban food did Cruz like to eat growing up? And what sort of Cuban music does Cruz listen to even now?

I've known Ted for more than a decade and I could tell he was uncomfortable. But he played along, listing various kinds of Cuban food and saying that his musical taste veers more toward country.
I kept waiting for Halperin to ask Cruz to play the conga drums like Desi Arnaz while dancing salsa and sipping cafe con leche -- all to prove the Republican is really Cuban.
Just when I thought I'd seen the worst, it got even more offensive. Earlier that day, independent Sen. Bernie Sanders, of Vermont, had entered the presidential race. So, Halperin said: "I want to give you the opportunity to directly welcome your colleague Sen. Sanders to the race, and I'd like you to do it, if you would, en español."

What nerve, treating a U.S. senator like a trained seal! Who does this guy think he is, trying to evaluate how well a Hispanic speaks Spanish? And what does that have to do with being authentic anyway?

Imagine if hilary was subjected to this crap.......

Hillary isn't granting interviews. She doesn't have to. All she has to is wait for that coronation because her base doesn't give a flying fig about what she believes in or can accomplish. She has the right letter after her name.

I just hope ALL the GOP hopefuls go that thoughtful interview route with all the tough questions instead of tearing each other apart so that the best guy or gal likely won't win the nomination.
Bill O'Reiley should be issuing daily challenges to her to come and sit with him for a while.
Embarrass the crap out of her!

Bill O'Reiley should be issuing daily challenges to her to come and sit with him for a while.

He would certainly schedule her at her convenience if she was willing to come on his show. And he would treat her courteously and fairly, but he would ask questions that she does not want to answer, so it is highly unlikely that she would ever agree.

But in O'Reilly's interview with Peter Schweizer, he said Schweizer did not have any hard evidence for his expressed opinion in one point in his new book Clinton Cash and Schweizer agreed. And both Bill and Hillary and other talking heads defending them have used that again and again and again to claim that Schweizer admitted he had no evidence for the contents of his book. Which is not what Schweizer said. And the media is giving them a LOT of air time over and over, even Fox News, to repeat the lie.

But that is what happens in this day and age. Nobody is interested in the whole truth but grabs a sound bite like that and runs with it and those who demand a D, even if it is her, will dutifully support such a lie. If Hillary Clinton is the next President of the USA, it will be that kind of thing that puts her there, and not any qualifications or vision or ideas or experience that makes her a good choice.

And as 2aguy pointed out, the treatment of the GOP hopefuls will be much different. The MSM won't be looking for a sound bite to make anybody in the GOP look good. But if they can find a soundbite to use over and over to make somebody look bad, they will.

Last edited:

He would certainly schedule her at her convenience if she was willing to come on his show. And he would treat her courteously and fairly, but he would ask questions that she does not want to answer, so it is highly unlikely that she would ever agree.

But in O'Reilly's interview with Peter Schweizer, he said Schweizer did not have any hard evidence for his expressed opinion in one point in his new book Clinton Cash and Schweizer agreed. And both Bill and Hillary and other talking heads defending them have used that again and again and again to claim that Schweizer admitted he had no evidence for the contents of his book. Which is not what Schweizer said. And the media is giving them a LOT of air time over and over, even Fox News, to repeat the lie.

But that is what happens in this day and age. Nobody is interested in the whole truth but grabs a sound bite like that and runs with it and those who demand a D, even if it is her, will dutifully support such a lie. If Hillary Clinton is the next President of the USA, it will be that kind of thing that puts her there, and not any qualifications or vision or ideas or experience that makes her a good choice.

And as 2aguy pointed out, the treatment of the GOP hopefuls will be much different. The MSM won't be looking for a sound bite to make anybody in the GOP look good. But if they can find a soundbite to use over and over to make somebody look bad, they will.
Agree! What 2aguy pointed out, I have been seeing for years. The MSM savaged all Republicans in the GOP field but John McCain. Why? for 2 reasons; number one. He lacks charisma and comes across as a crotchety old man and number 2, even if he won, he would be the most likely to cave in to Liberal demands.
Same thing 4 years later. They basically told us that Mitt Romney was the best candidate and after he won the nod, he became an out of touch rich guy, again lacking charisma, BUT.... Had he won, he would have been the farthest Left GOP President of the field.
The GOP can't afford to let that happen again. I like Cruz and Carson, but I fear they will both suffer crucifixion in the press. Right now, I favor my friend Marco Rubio. There's really not a lot the press can do to him post convention. He's as charismatic as obama, engaging and confident. It doesn't hurt that he's Hispanic and a good looking young man. What hurts me most about him is he's 20 years younger than me. It's hard to wrap my mind around a POTUS from my kids' generation.

But guys this has been one of my points all along. Ted Cruz should have just said the same thing 2a guy said. Are you treating me like a trained seal? Or better yet he should have cussed him out in Spanish. Push back. Scott walker did this to great effect when blindsided in England. And you know what, you don't have to answer every question. Say something like, is that the best you can do when interviewing a potential presidential candidate. Or, when you have a serious question get back to me. Inotherwords, own the interview. You can do it politely. Treat everyone with respect until they give you a reason not to.

Getting back to Hilary. I would focus as a candidate on her lawbreaking at the state department. This is real. There is there there. Hammer on her documented law breaking of the rules of the state department and contrast that with the average Joe on the street and his punishment for crimes. Characterize her actions as part of the criminal enterprise that is the Obama administration. Obama encourages his minions to break the law and promises them he will not let the justice department investigate them, and Hilary is exhibit A. So if we get Hilary we will just get more lawlessness. Emphasize to the voters that your justice department will not be a partisan protection agency.

But guys this has been one of my points all along. Ted Cruz should have just said the same thing 2a guy said. Are you treating me like a trained seal? Or better yet he should have cussed him out in Spanish. Push back. Scott walker did this to great effect when blindsided in England. And you know what, you don't have to answer every question. Say something like, is that the best you can do when interviewing a potential presidential candidate. Or, when you have a serious question get back to me. Inotherwords, own the interview. You can do it politely. Treat everyone with respect until they give you a reason not to.

Getting back to Hilary. I would focus as a candidate on her lawbreaking at the state department. This is real. There is there there. Hammer on her documented law breaking of the rules of the state department and contrast that with the average Joe on the street and his punishment for crimes. Characterize her actions as part of the criminal enterprise that is the Obama administration. Obama encourages his minions to break the law and promises them he will not let the justice department investigate them, and Hilary is exhibit A. So if we get Hilary we will just get more lawlessness. Emphasize to the voters that your justice department will not be a partisan protection agency.

What you are saying here is the problem the GOP has had for some time--no game plan to deal with the 'gotcha' attack questions, no rapid response team to those attacks, little aplomb in dealing with those attacks. So too often the candidate appears caught off guard or uncomfortable or defensive, all that resonates poorly with the public at large.

Ronald Reagan and Newt Gingrich were masters at setting the media back on their heels when the press got snarky. Reagan did it with humor while Gingrich did it with flashes of anger but both were effective. I haven't watched Scott Walker all that much but maybe he has the same ability. If so, that could give him a huge advantage.

I'm all for them exposing Hillary's weaknesses but they shouldn't be doing that now all that much. It's too early. The public attention span in this sound bite world is really short, and if all that is vetted now it will be old news and ho hum after the primaries when it will could really count.

I'm all for them exposing Hillary's weaknesses but they shouldn't be doing that now all that much. It's too early. The public attention span in this sound bite world is really short, and if all that is vetted now it will be old news and ho hum after the primaries when it will could really count.

No point in further exposing Hillary's weaknesses. After all, she will NOT be the Democrat candidate. Save the money and effort to thoroughly vet and then expose whatever "shiny object" Democrats come up with. Of course they don't yet know who that will be - Mrs. Soros hasn't told them yet.

My general preference would be a Governor for President and someone else for Vice President.

Forum List

Back