Report: Friend secretly taped Bush

nakedemperor

Aug 5, 2004
NYC
NEW YORK (AP) -- Private conversations with George Bush secretly taped by an old friend before he was elected president foreshadow some of his political strategies and appear to reveal that he acknowledged using marijuana, The New York Times has reported.

The conversations were recorded by Doug Wead, a former aide to George W. Bush's father, beginning in 1998, when Bush was weighing a presidential bid, until just before the Republican National Convention in 2000, the Times reported Saturday.

The tapes show Bush crafting a strategy for navigating the tricky political waters between Christian conservative and secular voters, repeatedly worrying that evangelicals would be angered by a refusal to bash gays and that secular Americans would be turned off by meetings with evangelical leaders.

On one tape, Bush explains that he told one prominent evangelical that he would not "kick gays, because I'm a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?"

In early tapes, Bush dismisses the strength of John McCain for the nomination and expresses concern about rival Steve Forbes. He also praises John Ashcroft as a promising candidate for Supreme Court justice, attorney general or vice president.

Bush also criticizes then-Vice President Al Gore for admitting marijuana use and explains why he would not do the same.

"I wouldn't answer the marijuana questions," he said, according to the Times. "You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried."

According to the article, Wead played 12 of the tapes to a Times reporter. He said he recorded them because he viewed Bush as a historic figure. He is the author of a new book on presidential childhoods.

The White House did not deny the authenticity of the tapes.

"The governor was having casual conversations with someone he believed was his friend," White House spokesman Trent Duffy said, referring to Bush.

So I guess he never really lied about not doing drugs 'cause he never answered the questions. And does this really sound like someone who shares the convictions of evangelicals on the gay issue, or someone who is pandering to them? Does it matter? This article leaves out the quote:

"The cocaine thing, let me tell you my strategy on that," Bush said on the tape. "Rather than saying no … I think it's time for someone to draw the line and look people in the eye and say, you know, 'I'm not going to participate in ugly rumors about me and blame my opponent,' and hold the line. Stand up for a system that will not allow this kind of crap to go on."

For me, plausible deniability = dishonesty

nakedemperor said:
So I guess he never really lied about not doing drugs 'cause he never answered the questions. And does this really sound like someone who shares the convictions of evangelicals on the gay issue, or someone who is pandering to them? Does it matter? This article leaves out the quote:

For me, plausible deniability = dishonesty

This is a nonstory. These are the kinds of decisions every politicians considers. I don't care if he smoked weed. Do you, mr. dowhatfeelsgood?

All this really shows me is how wise the President really can be. The Marijauna question is good. If i had done it I wouldnt want young people to know it and follow that example. Thankfully im pretty much a clean slate so i dont have to worry about it, but still it shows his wisdom and compassion. It also shows his ability as a leader.

We're down to picking on whether or not the President ever did drugs?! That's a valid reason to think he's the wrong man for the job? Good grief! Like even half the people that are complaining can talk... Hell.. Even I did them, and I'm about as straight-laced as you can get now..

Shattered said:
We're down to picking on whether or not the President ever did drugs?! That's a valid reason to think he's the wrong man for the job? Good grief! Like even half the people that are complaining can talk... Hell.. Even I did them, and I'm about as straight-laced as you can get now..

I don't often echo Shattered, but my take exactly. He seemed to be saying that he thought the left wanted him to skewer gays and he wasn't going down that road. Partially out of the 'he who is without sin...'

Very few below the age of 55 have never done drugs.

nakedemperor said:
I still get to call him President Cokehead :teeth:

...and I'm sure if he were willing to stoop to such levels, he'd have a name or two to call you as well. :D

I don't really see the big story here. So he didn't want young people to follow his mistakes. Isn't that how most parents feel as well? As far as the gay bashing and his choice to not do it,I would think that would earn praise form some on the left,but I guess instead some are mad because he didn't do it. Whatdo they want? :rolleyes:

Sir Evil said:
:laugh:

Ok so I have a bad memory, it proves nothing! :D

...but the fact that you didn't deny it, but rather answered with "How did you know?" does. :D

Sir Evil said:
Oh no it doesn't! I am a perfect angel, never touched no drugs that weren't prescribed!

Next you'll be saying that which sprouts from the ground can't be a drug. :D

Forum List

Back