Rep. Tom Graves Formally Introduces Active Cyber Defense Bill

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Washington, D.C. – As part of Cyber Security Awareness Month, Rep. Tom Graves (R-GA-14), along with Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ-09), announced the formal introduction of the Active Cyber Defense Certainty Act (ACDC) (H.R. 4036) today, Friday the 13th. The bipartisan bill makes targeted changes to the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) to allow use of limited defensive measures that exceed the boundaries of one’s network in order to monitor, identify and stop attackers.

Specifically, ACDC gives authorized individuals and companies the legal authority to leave their network to 1) establish attribution of an attack, 2) disrupt cyberattacks without damaging others’ computers, 3) retrieve and destroy stolen files, 4) monitor the behavior of an attacker, and 5) utilize beaconing technology. The enhanced flexibility will allow individuals and the private sector to develop and use tools that are currently restricted under the CFAA to protect their own network. Additionally, allowing defenders to develop and deploy new tools will help deter criminal hacking.

Although ACDC allows a more active role in cyber defense, it protects privacy rights by prohibiting vigilantism, forbidding physical damage or destruction of information on anyone else’s computer, and preventing collateral damage by constraining the types of actions that would be considered active defense.
Click HERE to read the bill text. Click HERE for a two-page bill summary.
Rep. Tom Graves Formally Introduces Active Cyber Defense Bill

I haven't read the text yet. I'm cooking dinner. Tell me what you think.........about the bill.

How about the CIA log the fuck off the internet and do some work for a change!

ACDC!

Forum List

Back