Renowned Physicist quits American Physical Society

Discussion in 'Environment' started by westwall, Oct 9, 2010.

1. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,735
    His reason for doing so? Their blanket approval of AGW and their violation of their own constitution to do so. As Dr. Lewis so eloquently put it "'Global warming is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life'".

His letter is a very interesting read and shows just why those "scientific organisations support for AGW" that olfraud loves to bleet about are pretty much nothing.

US physics professor: 'Global warming is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life' – Telegraph Blogs

http://joannenova.com.au/2010/10/the-scientific-world-is-fracturing/

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  2. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    if this is true, which I have been trying to confirm, you need to make the thread title much more appealing, this is incredibly disturbing news for the people who believe in global warming

3. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,448
    He is one of the old timers. He remembers when data drove conclusions, not the other way around.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  4. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,185
    If this is the mask for the global power grab that will put us into world marxism and our wealth being spreaded to all nations then world world III is likely to come of it. If people find out global warming is one big power grab people will be pissed.

I'd rather have global warming be true, personally; knowing how little it took to set off world war I back in the early 20th century that is. Majors wars have been fought for less.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  5. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,305
    When I look at Professor Lewis's background, there doesn't seem be any research on our atmosphere and climate change. He seems to be primarily a space scientist and not a climatologist. I'm sure he is a very smart man but does this make him an expert on global climate change?

Professor Lewis has research interests in two distinct areas: applications of chemistry to planetary sciences, and space development.

The former program includes modeling of chemical processes in the early Solar System, condensation-accretion models of the terrestrial planets and giant-planet satellite systems, the compositional relationships between meteorites, asteroids, comets, and planets, and the chemical evolution of planetary atmospheres and surfaces.

His other interests center on the characterization and economic development of the material and energy resources of near-Earth space. His recent publications include three popular science books, Rain of Iron and Ice (on comet and asteroid bombardment of Earth; also in German translation), Mining the Sky (on space resources for use in space and on Earth; also in German and Chinese translation), and Worlds Without End (on the nature and distribution of planets in the universe from ancient writings on the plurality of worlds to the current flood of observations of planets in orbit about other stars), all from Helix Books.

He also was technical editor of the University of Arizona Press technical volume Resources of Near-Earth Space and authored the recent book Comet and Asteroid Impacts: Quantitative Modeling of Hazards on a Populated Earth (Academic Press, 2000) as well as a revised edition of the upper-division undergraduate planetary science textbook Physics and Chemistry of the Solar System.

PtyS/LPL Faculty: Dr. John S. Lewis

6. westwall

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,735

Everything you say about him is true. However, you ignore, as do most alarmists, the fundamental fact that he knows how science is done. He also knows, therefore, when science is abused. That is why he resigned. Because he can see when the scientific method is perverted in order to attain a political goal.

This is also another of the reasons why people refer to the "science" of climatology as a religion. In no other branch of science is it so important to be one of the "annointed ones".
    The most important advance in geology came not from a geologist but an astronomer who also happened to make major contributions to meteorology. He was one of the greatest polymaths ever. But according to the alarmists point of view his conclusions, even though accurate and world shattering in their impact don't count because he wasn't a geologist.

Next thing you know the scientists will be required to speak in Latin.

Do you see the problem with this line of thought?

7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,320
    So, Walleyes, you are saying that the other Physicists in that society don't know how science is done? Same for the AGU, the GSA, and all the other Scientific Societies in the world?

8. westwall

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,735

I believe the good Doctor knows more about science than you ever will. He has 25 years on me so I still have a long way to go as well, and had you bothered to read what I said, you would have seen where he is disgusted at the groups' becoming a political advocacy society, perverting science for a political or monetary gain.

So to answer your stupendously ridiculous question, no, they know how to do science...they just CHOOSE not to do it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,320
    Sure, Walleyes, sure.

They don't parrot the Conservative brainless talking points, therefore they don't do science.

10. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,320
    By the way, looking forward to posting some of the lectures from the coming AGU Conferance concerning global warming.