Religious people are happier than those who don't actively participate in a faith, study finds

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Religious people are happier than those who don't actively participate in a faith, study finds | Daily Mail Online

Religious people are happier than people who don't actively participate in a faith, according to a study.

I have found this to be true about myself.

I have faith in a God who loves me, and faith that after I die, I will be with God in a place of eternal happiness.

That's a strong dose of medicine that more than overcomes the many struggles I have faced in life.

I sometimes wonder how people who don't believe in God maintain their equilibrium. It must be tough to believe that death leads to nothingness, and this life is all there is.

I think it would be even harder to believe this as one gets older and health begins to fail.

I talked to a caretaker once, and she told me that people who believe in God and have a good support network have an easier time dying than those who don't.

And there's the saying that there's no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.

I have no idea if that is true, but it's a saying.

Question for atheists, how do you deal with the problems of life knowing that there is nothing beyond this life?

So you deluded yourself with a fairy tale and this makes you happy. Whatever works I guess.

If made up stories and fictitious characters make you happy, then have at it.

Religious people are happier than those who don't actively participate in a faith, study finds | Daily Mail Online

Religious people are happier than people who don't actively participate in a faith, according to a study.

I have faith in a God who loves me, and faith that after I die, I will be with God in a place of eternal happiness.

That's a strong dose of medicine that more than overcomes the many struggles I have faced in life.

I sometimes wonder how people who don't believe in God maintain their equilibrium. It must be tough to believe that death leads to nothingness, and this life is all there is.

I think it would be even harder to believe this as one gets older and health begins to fail.

I talked to a caretaker once, and she told me that people who believe in God and have a good support network have an easier time dying than those who don't.

Question for atheists, how do you deal with the problems of life knowing that there is nothing beyond this life?

I worked with several in my day and both were 100% batshit crazy. One listened to Art Bell and believed lizard people dwell in the center of the earth, another was crazy about hunting ghosts and I reminded him according to his belief there would be NO ghosts...they are very few and far between where I live....I don't care what anybody's beliefs are but I cant stand atheists preaching their religion like some damn cult.

What it gets down to is this: If you believe in a Higher Power, whose message has been passed down through a thousand generations and still "works," you are more likely to be happy that some smart-ass, college-educated twit who, in essence, thinks that HIS views are superior to all others.

This is one reason why Leftists cannot debate any issue substantively. Their only response is an ad hominem attack: You are a RACIST, homophobe xenophobe, misogynist, bigot. As if that were a cogent argument.

Here's the logical flaw in this thread, right at the beginning:

Religious people are happier than people who don't actively participate in a faith

Those are not contrasts. You don't have to "participate" in some self-feeding echo-hive to be religious. At all. That's not "being religious" --- that's joining a club.

What it gets down to is this: If you believe in a Higher Power, whose message has been passed down through a thousand generations and still "works," you are more likely to be happy that some smart-ass, college-educated twit who, in essence, thinks that HIS views are superior to all others.

This is one reason why Leftists cannot debate any issue substantively. Their only response is an ad hominem attack: You are a RACIST, homophobe xenophobe, misogynist, bigot. As if that were a cogent argument.

Nice. You just constructed a Sweeping Generalization Strawman built on a False Association of politics with religion.

That's working a lot of fallacies into a single short paragraph.

I’d rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints
The sinners have much more fun

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

faking belief in a god is NOT going to make me happier.

spending hours in a church surrounded by simple minded morons quaking and shaking to a nonexistent god is NOT going to make me happier..

In fact....I was NEVER happier than when I walked away from religion!

I have been told that lots of crazy people in loony bins are very happy....

I guess they don't need religion.

"What it gets down to is this: If you believe in a Higher Power, whose message has been passed down through a thousand generations and still "works,"

Not all of it "works"

the slavery part was actually kind of bad

as was the male dominance part

and the anti gay crap was a bit much

as were the attacks on pagans, heathens, unbelievers, idolators, witches....

Actually...MOST of it didn't work at all!

And the parts that DID work (don't kill, don't steal, don't lie)

were actually given to us by the Greeks and the Code of Hammurabi.....LONG before the christians STOLE them....(see the irony?....the christians STOLE "don't steal!"....funny.....)

Religious people are happier than people who don't actively participate in a faith

Those are not contrasts. You don't have to "participate" in some self-feeding echo-hive to be religious. At all. That's not "being religious" --- that's joining a club.
Believing in a higher purpose gives meaning to life such that experiencing difficulties is viewed through a different lens.

Believing in a higher purpose gives meaning to life such that experiencing difficulties is viewed through a different lens.
It gives meaning to YOUR life, which is kind of sad since you’re saying that it would have no meaning otherwise.

Last edited:

You just admitted only Leftist get degrees in college..

You seemed to have forgotten the posts where you complain about losing your faith, being dejected, depressed, and confused..

Sounds like a blast!

I think I might be done with the Catholic Church...

I may be losing my faith...

I know that I am a wretched sinner...

God has not seen fit to make my life easy

40 Reasons Not To Vote For Donald Trump

Trump is draining the swamp and making America great again!!!

Last edited:

We can sure gauge that by the happiness you display on this forum on what is turning out to be a daily, if not an hourly, basis.

Nice. You just constructed a Sweeping Generalization Strawman built on a False Association of politics with religion.

That's working a lot of fallacies into a single short paragraph.
Thank the gods that was done by someone NOT the product of government schools....or so we've been told....:20:

Forum List

Back