Religious Bashing--What it is and isn't.

The message of Jesus to love thy neighbor wouldn't hurt society one bit

Organized religion, on the other hand, is not always so benign.

Agreed. However sometimes organized religion isn't the real problem either, because it does have many social programs that are tremendous. I believe it is the political enthusiasts, who are religious, found out long ago how much power they had by supporting politicians.

The Catholic Church in Ireland, had a social program called the Magdalene Laundries. They imprisoned young women as slaves to wash laundry by hand for 14 hours a day.

And don't any of you think for a second that that doesn't UTTERLY cancel out the fact that the vast majority of privately-operated charities worldwide, which feed,clothe, house, and educate millions of destitute people, are run by the Catholic Church. :cuckoo:

85 percent of the referrals made by a new program meant to help people with accessing assistance for everything from DV to legal assistance, to help with food and housing....are made to faith based organizations.

2-1-1 US: Home Page

Agreed. However sometimes organized religion isn't the real problem either, because it does have many social programs that are tremendous. I believe it is the political enthusiasts, who are religious, found out long ago how much power they had by supporting politicians.

The Catholic Church in Ireland, had a social program called the Magdalene Laundries. They imprisoned young women as slaves to wash laundry by hand for 14 hours a day.

And don't any of you think for a second that that doesn't UTTERLY cancel out the fact that the vast majority of privately-operated charities worldwide, which feed,clothe, house, and educate millions of destitute people, are run by the Catholic Church. :cuckoo:

I agree with you that the RCC has many charities that help people. It doesn't cancel out the harm they did to Irish women.

Only a Christian apologist would ignore the harm some Christians do, turn a blind eye toward priest pedophiles, slavery, and telling women who want to ordain that they are worse sinners than pedophile priests.

You're really boring me now.

Last edited:
85 percent of the referrals made by a new program meant to help people with accessing assistance for everything from DV to legal assistance, to help with food and housing....are made to faith based organizations.

Yes, but Sky can cite ONE example, in ONE country, that no one else has ever heard of, so that negates all that. The Catholic Church is obviously wholly evil. Period.

Yes, but Sky can cite ONE example, in ONE country, that no one else has ever heard of, so that negates all that. The Catholic Church is obviously wholly evil. Period.

You are lying. I never said that. I said that I don't feel that by criticising the Catholic Church for it's harboring of priest pedophiles, it's slavery of women in Ireland and it's justification for ordaining women as priests is that they are worse sinners than pedophile priests constitutes bashing.

You continue to lie. I NEVER said the Catholic Church is evil.

The fact that you continue to lie about what I've said shows me how weak your arguments are.

You also repeat yourself. You're a bore.

I think of you, Allie and Si Modo as harpies, scolding, nagging and bad-tempered.

Last edited:

I agree with you that the RCC has many charities that help people. It doesn't cancel out the harm they did to Irish women.

Only a Christian apologist would ignore the harm some Christians do, turn a blind eye toward priest pedophiles, slavery, and telling women who want to ordain that they are worse sinners than pedophile priests.

I didn't suggest that their good works cancels out things they've done wrong. I stated, quite baldly, that in your eyes, ONE bad action cancels out any and all good they have ever done or ever may do.

Only an anti-Christian bigot would focus so obsessively on a tattered file of crimes from the distant past to the exclusion of everything else, including turning a blind eye to the far-more-prevalent existence of pedophilia and molestation among public school teachers in order to excoriate the Catholic Church. By the way, pathological lying sack of shit, please DO point me to any time I have EVER apologized for, excused, or turned a blind eye to priestly sex crimes, OR suggested that female ordination was worse . . . Or did we somehow morph from a discussion of my post to your hatred of the Pope? I don't remember having ever taken responsibility for the Pope, or for anything he might say or do, so I'm flummoxed by the question of what the FUCK a reference to him is doing in an alleged rebuttal to MY post.

Maybe it's just that you're so "bored" by having to debate reality and deal with actual facts that you can't concentrate on who you're talking to, and what they actually said.

Of course you do. And that excuses your own lying.

It's all about justification, isn't it. It's okay to advocate oppression because Christian churches are evil.

It's okay to lie about other posters, cuz they're harpies.

Got it.

Of course you do. And that excuses your own lying.

It's all about justification, isn't it. It's okay to advocate oppression because Christian churches are evil.

It's okay to lie about other posters, cuz they're harpies.

Got it.

Here's how we're different Allie. You've stated that I advocate oppressing Christian churches because I claim they're evil.

I NEVER have said that Christian churches are evil.

I've said I think Martin Ssempa is evil. I think Scott Lively is evil. I think both men masquerade as Christians when they are NOT Christians but truly evil men.

You lie about me continuously. I don't know that you even intend to, I just think you don't read my words because you are too busy misinterpreting my view.

One way you and I are different is that I've given out six pos reps today, and they all went to people who have views different from me.

I would stand shoulder to shoulder with you for your right to practice Christianity anywhere in the world.

You, on the other hand have only contempt for me.

I feel sorry for you, Allie.

I didn't suggest that their good works cancels out things they've done wrong. I stated, quite baldly, that in your eyes, ONE bad action cancels out any and all good they have ever done or ever may do.

Only an anti-Christian bigot would focus so obsessively on a tattered file of crimes from the distant past to the exclusion of everything else, including turning a blind eye to the far-more-prevalent existence of pedophilia and molestation among public school teachers in order to excoriate the Catholic Church. By the way, pathological lying sack of shit, please DO point me to any time I have EVER apologized for, excused, or turned a blind eye to priestly sex crimes, OR suggested that female ordination was worse . . . Or did we somehow morph from a discussion of my post to your hatred of the Pope? I don't remember having ever taken responsibility for the Pope, or for anything he might say or do, so I'm flummoxed by the question of what the FUCK a reference to him is doing in an alleged rebuttal to MY post.

Maybe it's just that you're so "bored" by having to debate reality and deal with actual facts that you can't concentrate on who you're talking to, and what they actually said.

Once again, you are lying about my position. I NEVER said that all the charitable works of the RCC are canceled by the three criticisms I have of the Catholic Church.

If I incorrectly stated your position, then I apologize.

It's very hard to tell the difference between you and Allie. You could be twins.

Last edited:
It appears there is a disagreement with calling the RC Church evil and saying that those in the Church have done evil.

You should never allow discussions about religion and politics to become a personality contest of a war between two posters.

The facts are that the Church hid the truth instead of punishing the guilty or handing them over to the law.
Human being will always do evil, it really does not matter how you dress it up.
The Church or any other organisation is not responsible as such.
Because the people make their own decision to do wrong.

HM

It appears there is a disagreement with calling the RC Church evil and saying that those in the Church have done evil.

You should never allow discussions about religion and politics to become a personality contest of a war between two posters.

The facts are that the Church hid the truth instead of punishing the guilty or handing them over to the law.

HM

I agree with you, that the RCC harbored pedophiles as a matter of policy. That makes the policy evil, not the Church. I think the Church was wrong, and it wasn't simply a matter of individual people making their own decision to do wrong.

It was accepted church policy to harbor criminals. The church should have turned them over to the police and stripped them of their priest vows.

Depends how you look at it.

Many non-believers would view christians saying "all non-believers are going to burn in hell for eternity" as non-believer bashing, and I can't think of any worse kind of bashing than that. And TONS of christians believe that.

Personally I don't think saying snakes can't talk, or evolution deniers are silly, or living inside a whale is impossible is religion bashing. No atheist thinks any christian belongs in an area of infinite torture in the worst area the mind can imagine for all eternity.

But I think there's a difference in the ideas of Bible bashing and religion bashing. The Old Testament has some of the most immoral concepts in human history, but most christians don't take a lot of the Old Testament seriously. So I can't bash christians for the Bible when the worst aspects of it they take as seriously as I do as an atheist, in other words they more or less ignore it.

How telling is it that you took the time to capitalize the word "Bible" and the words "Old Testament" but not "christian"?

Many non-believers would view christians saying "all non-believers are going to burn in hell for eternity" as non-believer bashing, and I can't think of any worse kind of bashing than that. And TONS of christians believe that.

Personally I don't think saying snakes can't talk, or evolution deniers are silly, or living inside a whale is impossible is religion bashing. No atheist thinks any christian belongs in an area of infinite torture in the worst area the mind can imagine for all eternity.

But I think there's a difference in the ideas of Bible bashing and religion bashing. The Old Testament has some of the most immoral concepts in human history, but most christians don't take a lot of the Old Testament seriously. So I can't bash christians for the Bible when the worst aspects of it they take as seriously as I do as an atheist, in other words they more or less ignore it.

How telling is it that you took the time to capitalize the word "Bible" and the words "Old Testament" but not "christian"?

Does not capitalizing the C in Christian constitute Christian bashing to you?

I've gotten the impression from a couple of posters, that they consider any criticism of the institutions of Christianity to be religious bashing. That doesn't make sense to me.

For example, is it bashing to say the Roman Catholic Church is wrong for harboring pedophile priests? Is it bashing to say the Magdalene Homes in Ireland, Catholic institutional imprisonment and slavery of young women and girls is wrong? Is it bashing of the Pope to say that he is wrong for saying that ordaining women as priests is as harmful to the Church and as deep a sin as priests who are pedophiles?

Your thoughts?

Is it EVER ok to criticise the institutions of religion without it being considered "bashing"?

IMO, there is a difference between criticism and bashing. I consider what Scott Lively did, in writing a book, The Pink Swastika, that claims gays caused the Holocaust to be gay bashing. The difference is Lively is not telling the truth.
I have no problem with bashing a religion.....Islam is a vile,violent,filthy,hateful cult for violent people with low IQ's :clap2::clap2::clap2: are there any liberals that agree with that statement???:eusa_whistle:

Broad brush much??

HM

I agree with you, that the RCC harbored pedophiles as a matter of policy. That makes the policy evil, not the Church. I think the Church was wrong, and it wasn't simply a matter of individual people making their own decision to do wrong.

It was accepted church policy to harbor criminals. The church should have turned them over to the police and stripped them of their priest vows.

If they had confessed to doing wrong then they should have handed themselves over to the law. If they had not confessed then innocent till proven guilty. They should have handed everything over to the law and let it take it's course.

HM

Not in and of itself, necessarily.
But, given the number of times certain words were capitalized and another wasn't, it seems intentionally disrespectful which can = bashing.

Not in and of itself, necessarily.
But, given the number of times certain words were capitalized and another wasn't, it seems intentionally disrespectful which can = bashing.

It may be worthwhile to simply ask the poster why he didn't capitalize the C in Christian. Did he intend to be disrespectful or not?

I bet he'd give you an honest answer.

Forum List

Back