Religion Cannot StandThe Scrutiny Of A Good Education

I'll simplify the whole deal. I lived the church life till I was over 60 years old. I tithed my net pay, taught Sunday school and vacation bible school, coached and reffed the RA boys, mowed and raked old folk's yards, was a member of the Brotherhood...basically was in the church about three days a week. Know what? I never believed it.....not for a minute. This man put my feelings into words much better than I ever could have:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature." ~Dr. Albert Einstein~

Einstein aside, do you imagine the constructs of justice, liberty and free will? And if not, why not? And if not based on divine authority, than what authority? By what thesis do we recognize these things and attempt to realize them . . . if at all?

Justice, liberty, free will............who the fuck are you kidding. If I were a religious person I would hide my face from the public. What about the Crusades, the Inquisitions, the witch killings.......what about events like 9/11 and the following wars? What about the tens of millions of innocent women and children who have been murdered, raped, pillaged, starved to death and otherwise caught up in religious conflicts and that doesn't even mention the hundreds of millions who have fled their homes because of them. Justice, Liberty.................for whom?

There are forty-two death-penalty sins spelled out in the Old Testament. Only the uncivilized could have dreamed or conjured up this kind of shit. With a batch of possible acceptable judgements like this to work with kinda makes one wonder how many were tortured and crucified in the public square for it's entertainment value. Gathering firewood on the Sabbath my ass!!!

Murder - Gen. 9:6; Ex. 21:12-14,20,23; Lev. 24:17,21; Num. 35:16-34; Deut. 19.
Failing to circumcise - Gen. 17:14; Ex. 4:24,25.
Eating leavened bread during feast of unleavened bread - Ex.
2:15,19.
Smiting Parents- Ex. 21:15.
Kidnapping - Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7.
Cursing Parents - Ex. 21:17; Lev. 20:9.
Negligence with animals that kill - Ex. 21:28-32.
Witchcraft - Ex. 22:18.
Bestiality - Ex. 22:19; Lev. 18:23-29; 20:15,16.
Idolatry - Ex. 22:20.
Making holy anointing oil - Ex. 30:33.
Putting holy anointing oil on strangers - Ex. 30:33.
Making the holy perfume - Ex. 30:38.
Defiling the Sabbath - Ex. 31:14.
Working on the Sabbath - Ex. 35:2.
Eating the flesh of the peace offerings in
uncleanness - Lev. 7:20,21.
Eating the fat of sacrifices - Lev. 7:25.
Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the tabernacle - Lev. 17:1-9.
Eating blood - Lev. 17:10-14.
Incest - Lev. 18:6-29; 20:11-22.
Eating sacrifices at the wrong time - Lev. 19:5-8.
Consecration of children to idols - Lev. 20:1-5.
Spiritualism - Lev. 20:6,27.
Adultery - Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22-30.
Sodomy/Homosexuality - Lev. 20:13.
Relationship with a menstruous woman - Lev. 20:18.
Whoredom - Lev. 21:9; Deut. 22:21,22.
Sacrilege - Lev. 22:3.
Refusing to fast on day of atonement - Lev. 23:29.
Working on atonement - Lev. 23:30.
Blasphemy - Lev. 24:11-16.
Failure to keep the Passover - Num. 9:13.
Presumptuous - Num. 15:30,31.
Gathering firewood on the Sabbath - Num. 15:32,36.
Failure to purify self before worship - Num. 19:13,20.
False prophecy - Deut. 13:1-18; 18:20.
Leading men away from God - Deut. 13:6-18.
Stubbornness and rebelliousness - Deut. 21:18-23.
Gluttony - Deut. 21:20-23.
Drunkenness - Deut. 21:20-23.
Backbiting - Deut. 17:2-7.
False dreams and visions - Deut. 13:1-18.

Uh . . . all I asked, in essence, is what your moral authority is based on.

Thus far, the only one here implying to have some kind of unimpeachable authority is you.

Your moral outrage about something or another doesn't answer that question.

Last edited:
Modern education systems should require a study of world religions, geology and anthropology. Education is something that ancient myths cannot handle. It's the reason modern society is beginning to withdraw from that line of thinking:

Statistics on Religion in America Report -- Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

This survey finds that the number of people who say they are unaffiliated with any particular faith today (16.1%) is more than double the number who say they were not affiliated with any particular religion as children. Among Americans ages 18-29, one-in-four say they are not currently affiliated with any particular religion.

This will help save mankind.

Believe whatever you want to believe but do not organize.

When you organize you fashion a leash to put arround your own neck and with a handle for someone to come along and lead you by.

I'll simplify the whole deal. I lived the church life till I was over 60 years old. I tithed my net pay, taught Sunday school and vacation bible school, coached and reffed the RA boys, mowed and raked old folk's yards, was a member of the Brotherhood...basically was in the church about three days a week. Know what? I never believed it.....not for a minute. This man put my feelings into words much better than I ever could have:

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own--a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human fraility. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive, and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in nature." ~Dr. Albert Einstein~

Einstein aside, do you imagine the constructs of justice, liberty and free will? And if not, why not? And if not based on divine authority, than what authority? By what thesis do we recognize these things and attempt to realize them . . . if at all?

Justice, liberty, free will............who the fuck are you kidding. If I were a religious person I would hide my face from the public. What about the Crusades, the Inquisitions, the witch killings.......what about events like 9/11 and the following wars? What about the tens of millions of innocent women and children who have been murdered, raped, pillaged, starved to death and otherwise caught up in religious conflicts and that doesn't even mention the hundreds of millions who have fled their homes because of them. Justice, Liberty.................for whom?

There are forty-two death-penalty sins spelled out in the Old Testament. Only the uncivilized could have dreamed or conjured up this kind of shit. With a batch of possible acceptable judgements like this to work with kinda makes one wonder how many were tortured and crucified in the public square for it's entertainment value. Gathering firewood on the Sabbath my ass!!!

Murder - Gen. 9:6; Ex. 21:12-14,20,23; Lev. 24:17,21; Num. 35:16-34; Deut. 19.
Failing to circumcise - Gen. 17:14; Ex. 4:24,25.
Eating leavened bread during feast of unleavened bread - Ex.
2:15,19.
Smiting Parents- Ex. 21:15.
Kidnapping - Ex. 21:16; Deut. 24:7.
Cursing Parents - Ex. 21:17; Lev. 20:9.
Negligence with animals that kill - Ex. 21:28-32.
Witchcraft - Ex. 22:18.
Bestiality - Ex. 22:19; Lev. 18:23-29; 20:15,16.
Idolatry - Ex. 22:20.
Making holy anointing oil - Ex. 30:33.
Putting holy anointing oil on strangers - Ex. 30:33.
Making the holy perfume - Ex. 30:38.
Defiling the Sabbath - Ex. 31:14.
Working on the Sabbath - Ex. 35:2.
Eating the flesh of the peace offerings in
uncleanness - Lev. 7:20,21.
Eating the fat of sacrifices - Lev. 7:25.
Killing sacrifices other than at the door of the tabernacle - Lev. 17:1-9.
Eating blood - Lev. 17:10-14.
Incest - Lev. 18:6-29; 20:11-22.
Eating sacrifices at the wrong time - Lev. 19:5-8.
Consecration of children to idols - Lev. 20:1-5.
Spiritualism - Lev. 20:6,27.
Adultery - Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22-30.
Sodomy/Homosexuality - Lev. 20:13.
Relationship with a menstruous woman - Lev. 20:18.
Whoredom - Lev. 21:9; Deut. 22:21,22.
Sacrilege - Lev. 22:3.
Refusing to fast on day of atonement - Lev. 23:29.
Working on atonement - Lev. 23:30.
Blasphemy - Lev. 24:11-16.
Failure to keep the Passover - Num. 9:13.
Presumptuous - Num. 15:30,31.
Gathering firewood on the Sabbath - Num. 15:32,36.
Failure to purify self before worship - Num. 19:13,20.
False prophecy - Deut. 13:1-18; 18:20.
Leading men away from God - Deut. 13:6-18.
Stubbornness and rebelliousness - Deut. 21:18-23.
Gluttony - Deut. 21:20-23.
Drunkenness - Deut. 21:20-23.
Backbiting - Deut. 17:2-7.
False dreams and visions - Deut. 13:1-18.

And yet more people have been murdered when trying to replace religion with gov't: Marx, Stalin, Hitler, Pol Polt, Mao Tse Tung, Castro, etc, etc, etc.

As far as the sins in the OT that were punishible by death..... before the Savior was crucified and the "New Covenant" was in effect, children inherited their parents sins. It was considered a "mercy" to the children to prevent accumulation of sins against them. And since you read the NT, you are aware that the Savior spoke specifically about men getting caught up in the details and making laws for men, while ignoring the "will" of the Lord. The Savior spoke of "mercy" and forgiveness (something the educated rarely practice).

Evolution is a FACT

God is a theory

Evolution is no more fact than Climate Change is man-made.

It's a possibility but not a certainty. Some of the most notable scientists believe man may have been deposited her by Space Aliens. God could have been one for all we know.

I think a far more likely scenario to be Wet Rock + Starshine + Time = Humanity

If Mother Earths Little Bastards have a Father, His name is Time.

If there is a God, His name is Luck, and He has Bad moods as well as Good.

I'll buy the "Wet Rock + Starshine + Time = Humanity" scenario, but my belief is that some Supreme Intelligence dictated that the primordial slime and the starlight had the prerequisite properties to suddenly spring to life and evolve as it did.

Evolution is no more fact than Climate Change is man-made.

It's a possibility but not a certainty. Some of the most notable scientists believe man may have been deposited her by Space Aliens. God could have been one for all we know.

I think a far more likely scenario to be Wet Rock + Starshine + Time = Humanity

If Mother Earths Little Bastards have a Father, His name is Time.

If there is a God, His name is Luck, and He has Bad moods as well as Good.

I'll buy the "Wet Rock + Starshine + Time = Humanity" scenario, but my belief is that some Supreme Intelligence dictated that the primordial slime and the starlight had the prerequisite properties to suddenly spring to life and evolve as it did.

Yeah, well, once again, the science doesn't look too good for that belief at all . . . especially with regard to your notion about ultraviolet light. Uh . . . current abiogenic science has pretty much given up on the "starlight" generator. Like I said, "modern education" doesn't seem to be doing a very good job of keeping folks abreast of things.

Prukrock's Lair: Abiogenesis: The Unholy Grail of Atheism

Note that my piece is based on the current science and research of abiogenic scientists.

You're one of those Christians who either can't or chooses not to read:

Matthew 19
21 "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven."

Matthew 5
48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

And I am not the rich man he was talking to at the time. Or do you think Christians are likewise supposed to start building Arks because God once commanded Noah to build one?

He also commanded Peter and the other Apostles to throw out their nets to catch fish. You think every Christian is commanded to do that?

What's funny about it is you actually think you are educated.

I have to call you on this one Avatar... the context of what Cammmpbell quoted is clearly a parable used for preaching to the masses and the context of what you quoted was clearly intended to be specific instructions to specific individuals at a specific time in history.

And common knowledge of Christianity shows a concern for the poor, at least on paper.

Horse shit.....a couple of years ago in a nearby city I was passing a shopping mall and this spanking new Cadillac Escalade merged in front of me. The first thing I saw was the Christian fish on the right side of the rear then I noticed a large sticker just above the bumper on the left side. It was in white and gold and boldly stated, "This Family Is Blessed" Who the fuck does somebody like that think they are? I can just see ol' Gawd in all his glory saying, "Fuck Those Billion Starving Humans On Earth... I'm Gonna Let The Smiths Have A New Escalade!"

What does the book say about wealthy people like that who think they've got it made?

Matthew 7
21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father"

Luke 18
22 When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven"

Matthew 19
24 "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God"

Matthew 5
48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect"

Matthew 6

5 “When you pray, do not be like those who only pretend to be holy. They love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners. They want to be seen by others. What I’m about to tell you is true. They have received their complete reward.

6 “When you pray, go into your room. Close the door and pray to your Father, who can’t be seen. He will reward you. Your Father sees what is done secretly.

7 “When you pray, do not keep talking on and on the way ungodly people do. They think they will be heard because they talk a lot. 8 Do not be like them. Your Father knows what you need even before you ask him.

Last edited:
Modern education systems should require a study of world religions, geology and anthropology. Education is something that ancient myths cannot handle. It's the reason modern society is beginning to withdraw from that line of thinking:

This survey finds that the number of people who say they are unaffiliated with any particular faith today (16.1%) is more than double the number who say they were not affiliated with any particular religion as children. Among Americans ages 18-29, one-in-four say they are not currently affiliated with any particular religion.

Of course, this post begs the question: What would YOU know about a "good education"?

All science is theory..........

All ancient, mythical god worship is horse shit. When youngsters attend an accredited university and take the right courses they immediately realize that. The old "I'm a gonna' rise up from the grave, join a ghost floating on a cloud, fly off to paradise and live forever" rendition is short lived. When the present generation dies off I'd say it's within 50 years of being dead. Then it will assume a similar role to Thor, Athena, Zeus and other ancient mythological gods.

I honestly have to tell you that the fact that you think religion is "horse shit" actually makes me believe in it just a little bit more than I did.

All ancient, mythical god worship is horse shit. When youngsters attend an accredited university and take the right courses they immediately realize that. The old "I'm a gonna' rise up from the grave, join a ghost floating on a cloud, fly off to paradise and live forever" rendition is short lived. When the present generation dies off I'd say it's within 50 years of being dead. Then it will be looked upon like Thor, Athena, Zeus and other ancient mythological gods.

"God" seems to be sticking around. Religion is utter BS. Religion is for the weak minded in my opinion. I dont completely disregard the whole Creator idea, but I dont believe God. I mean come on? There were many Gods before that one. With pretty much the same 411 on him or her. It was like it was a bunch of Gods rolled into one. Whats the chance of 5 gods (and Im considering jesus as a god in this instance) being born on Dec. 5th? But I ramble..

I have a question: Who the hell asked you?

Actually, I have a corollary question: Why do you feel the need to tell us your opinion on God and religion?

I will never understand why so many people feel the need to vote on frigging EVERYTHING, whether they've been given a ballot or not.

You wouldn't know education if it bit you on the butt.

BTW The more I learn the more faithful I become. History, sciences, Languages, all denote that there is a God.

His hand is in everything. After all the Glory of God is intelligence and we are commanded to learn of all things.

Could you elaborate?

Why? Are you actually interested in learning more about Avatar and his/her beliefs? Or are you just interested in having him/her say something so that you can make yourself feel brilliant by attacking and denigrating it?

All ancient, mythical god worship is horse shit. When youngsters attend an accredited university and take the right courses they immediately realize that. The old "I'm a gonna' rise up from the grave, join a ghost floating on a cloud, fly off to paradise and live forever" rendition is short lived. When the present generation dies off I'd say it's within 50 years of being dead. Then it will assume a similar role to Thor, Athena, Zeus and other ancient mythological gods.

Guess you'll find out for sure when you croak.

I'll be waiting for you when you get out of purgatory........if you don't end up on the down elevator.

I don't believe in Purgatory. I think when he dies, he's pretty much cornholed at that point.

Why all the hate? Why do you care what someone else believes? It's no skin off your ass, what's the deal?

Isn't that always the question? I have never in my life purposely sought out atheists in order to tell them that I believe in God and think their beliefs are a crock of shit. But thanks to the wonders of the Internet, I literally lose count of the people I see EVERY SINGLE DAY who seek out Christians - and, to a lesser extent, other religious people - in order to tell them how stupid they are for believing what they do, just as though someone asked them and indicated that he was prepared to care about the answer.

:confused:

You are so full of shit. have you sold your possessions and given the proceeds to the poor yet?

I am not commanded to. And if I was, I wouldnt have a problem with it. Not really sure why God would command me to sell my goods to give to myself, but I could do it quite easily.

Matthew 19
21 "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven."

Matthew 5
48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect."

Matthew 6
34 "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Matthew 5
40" If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also"

Matthew 5
44 "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

Matthew 7
12 "Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets."

You're one of those atheists who reads a website cherrypicking Biblical quotes and thinks he's a frigging theologian.

Of course, you're also one of those idiots who reads a website and thinks he's brilliant and educated, so . . .

This is more than you deserve, but what the hell. I'm feeling generous this week.

Matthew 19:16-26:

16 Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17 “Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18 “Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19 honor your father and mother,’[c] and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’[d]”

20 “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21 Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

25 When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

In this passage we see Jesus talking to a man - ONE MAN. The man is pestering Jesus with questions about how he - PERSONALLY - can get into Heaven, basically looking for a magic formula of behavior that lets him get around the main point, which is to have your heart right with God. Jesus, knowing this and knowing the man's heart, cuts to the chase and tells him that as long as his possessions and wealth are more important to him than God and goodness, he doesn't have a chance.

When the man goes away sad because he cannot give up the attachment to his wealth, Jesus' reiterates to His disciples that attachment to earthly possessions and wealth will stand in the way of Heaven. Not the possessions and wealth themselves, THE ATTACHMENT to them.

Now, many of you out there who've done the whole "cherrypick" thing and fancied yourselves experts on Christianity, but have never undergone serious education in the Bible and Christianity are asking, "How did you get all that out of that passage? I didn't see Him say that." The answer is that I'm NOT cherrypicking. I HAVE received extensive religious training and education, and I'm both reading the actual words of the passage, and reading them in the context of the REST of the Bible and its teachings.

Now, I could analyze all of Dimwit's other cherrypicked passages the same way, but the fact is that if you read them, you will see two things: 1) not one of them says anything about "All Christians are to sell everything and give the money away", and 2) they all do exactly what I said the rest of the Bible did, which is to contextually support my reading of the first passage.

If you read the passage I quoted and DIDN'T see what I did, then the brutal truth is that you don't know the Bible, and you are not qualified to comment on what Christianity is and how Christians should live, no matter HOW many college professors told you otherwise.

Matthew 19

Matthew 5

And I am not the rich man he was talking to at the time. Or do you think Christians are likewise supposed to start building Arks because God once commanded Noah to build one?

He also commanded Peter and the other Apostles to throw out their nets to catch fish. You think every Christian is commanded to do that?

I had most of the new testament memorized and could quote it chapter and verse 55 years ago when I was in my early 20's. I find that most folks settle in on something they believe which in most cases has absolutely nothing to do with what's in the bible. So thrill me some more. I've heard it all.

Satan has the Scriptures memorized chapter and verse and is able to quote them, too. Do you think that means he understands Christianity and God's teachings? That would have to be "No", because God Himself said that if Satan ever COULD understand what God was saying, he would be allowed back into Heaven.

So thrill me some more. I've heard it all, and I actually comprehended it.

Dear Cammmpbell: Just because people don't affiliate with one particular religion
doesn't mean the message or the religion is less relevant.

You can study, use and apply the knowledge in math/science WITHOUT being
a mathematician or scientist officially. These things can be used and applied broadly.
Same with the truth and wisdom in the various world religions.

The same way the laws of gravity and physics are universal and can be used by anyone,
the process of forgiveness and natural healing that Christians teach are also universal.

I'll simplify the whole deal. You have just told us that there is not a single reason in the world why any of us should EVER give a tin shit WHAT you think about religion. Hypocrites aren't exactly persuasive witnesses.

As for Albert Einstein, I will gladly listen to him on anything he had to say concerning science. But his opinion on things outside his field of expertise is worth no more than anyone else's. I am no more interested in his personal opinion on religion than I am in his personal opinion on fashion design and what length we should wear our skirts this year.

It's a hallmark of the uneducated to be overly impressed by anything said by someone they perceive as educated. Truly educated people are much harder to awe.

Matthew 19

Matthew 5

I have to call you on this one Avatar... the context of what Cammmpbell quoted is clearly a parable used for preaching to the masses and the context of what you quoted was clearly intended to be specific instructions to specific individuals at a specific time in history.

And common knowledge of Christianity shows a concern for the poor, at least on paper.

And where did YOU receive your theological training, that we should care what YOU agree with or disagree with? What makes YOU any more of an "expert" on Christianity than Cammmmpbell, who doesn't appear to even be an expert on the topography of the back of his own hand?

I honestly have to tell you that the fact that you think religion is "horse shit" actually makes me believe in it just a little bit more than I did.

The naive, the brainwashed and the mentally deficient believe that 2000 year old fairy tale.....which one are you?

The naive, the brainwashed and the mentally deficient believe that 2000 year old fairy tale.....which one are you?

The naive, the brainwashed, and the mentally-deficient believe that other people give a rat's ass about their opinions. I guess you've just told us that you're all of the above.

The day I take a vote on what I do and don't believe, I . . . still won't send you a ballot, because I STILL won't care what you "think".

Just FYI.

Forum List

Back