Reid says Romney didn't pay taxes for 10 years

I'm trying to come to this issue open-mindedly. But I'm having trouble seeing the Democratic side of this as anything other than an unfair and very politically calculated attack.

Here's what I know (please feel free to educate me if I'm wrong):

1) Romney has released 1 year of tax returns and promises to release another. This will equal the number of tax returns released by John McCain during the last presidential election where how many tax returns McCain and Obama released was never a campaign issue.

2) Nothing illegal has been found in Romney's returns to date. He is ridiculously wealthy. He has invested his money in numerous ways, including putting money in accounts off shore and overseas. This is not illegal.

3) Reid came forward to say that an "anonymous source" who worked with Romney at Bain "knows" that Romney didn't pay taxes for a 10 year period. He won't name his source. But later came out and said it was "numerous sources." He won't name any of them.

4) The Democrats are now clamoring louder than ever for Romney to release over 10 years of tax returns to "prove" that he did, in fact, pay taxes.

If these are the facts...then here are my questions:

1) Are we now serious entertaining the idea that politicians can make any claim they want using "anonymous sources" and that those accused are responsible for "proving their innocence?" You guys are comfortable with that? Because you seemed really uncomfortable with it when some fringe elements on the right were claiming that they had sources (of course, they named them...but hey, lets not get too picky) that knew Obama was born outside the US...and it was up to Obama to prove otherwise.

2) Why on Earth would anyone who worked with Romney have access to 10-years of his tax records?

3) Why would the IRS somehow "MISS" that one of the richest men in our nation just didn't pay taxes for a decade?

4) McCain vetted Romney for VP looking over 2 decades of his tax returns and found nothing troubling. His aides actually say he OVERPAID, if anything.

5) Is there REALLY anything more to this than the Democrats realizing that this elections CAN'T be about Obama's record...so they are desperately trying to make it about Romney and that Romney is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
If he doesn't...they screeching that he hasn't paid taxes or is "hiding something" will continue.
If he does...the records will be nitpicked to death and even though theres nothing illegal in them, there will be enough "Romney's rich and puts his money overseas" tidbits for the media to slaver over from now until November...effectively keeping the conversation away from our horrible economy, dismal jobs outlook, etc.

So...here I am, taking a deep breath and trying to remain open-minded. Romney has followed the law and will release two-years worth of his tax records. Given the fact that he knows the Democrats will simply nit-pick any other returns he gives - just like they've done with the one they already have - WHY would he give up 10 years more simply because a member of the Democratic party has come forward with a story that strains credulity...all based on an "anonymous source" that couldn't realistically have access to the information Reid claims s/he has.

This is nothing more than a diversion away from how bad the economy has been and the poor Obama record with regard to jobs and everything else.

I'm trying to come to this issue open-mindedly. But I'm having trouble seeing the Democratic side of this as anything other than an unfair and very politically calculated attack.

1) Romney has released 1 year of tax returns and promises to release another. This will equal the number of tax returns released by John McCain during the last presidential election where how many tax returns McCain and Obama released was never a campaign issue.

2) Nothing illegal has been found in Romney's returns to date. He is ridiculously wealthy. He has invested his money in numerous ways, including putting money in accounts off shore and overseas. This is not illegal.

3) Reid came forward to say that an "anonymous source" who worked with Romney at Bain "knows" that Romney didn't pay taxes for a 10 year period. He won't name his source. But later came out and said it was "numerous sources." He won't name any of them.

4) The Democrats are now clamoring louder than ever for Romney to release over 10 years of tax returns to "prove" that he did, in fact, pay taxes.

1) Are we now serious entertaining the idea that politicians can make any claim they want using "anonymous sources" and that those accused are responsible for "proving their innocence?" You guys are comfortable with that? Because you seemed really uncomfortable with it when some fringe elements on the right were claiming that they had sources (of course, they named them...but hey, lets not get too picky) that knew Obama was born outside the US...and it was up to Obama to prove otherwise.

2) Why on Earth would anyone who worked with Romney have access to 10-years of his tax records?

3) Why would the IRS somehow "MISS" that one of the richest men in our nation just didn't pay taxes for a decade?

4) McCain vetted Romney for VP looking over 2 decades of his tax returns and found nothing troubling. His aides actually say he OVERPAID, if anything.

5) Is there REALLY anything more to this than the Democrats realizing that this elections CAN'T be about Obama's record...so they are desperately trying to make it about Romney and that Romney is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.
If he doesn't...they screeching that he hasn't paid taxes or is "hiding something" will continue.
If he does...the records will be nitpicked to death and even though theres nothing illegal in them, there will be enough "Romney's rich and puts his money overseas" tidbits for the media to slaver over from now until November...effectively keeping the conversation away from our horrible economy, dismal jobs outlook, etc.

So...here I am, taking a deep breath and trying to remain open-minded. Romney has followed the law and will release two-years worth of his tax records. Given the fact that he knows the Democrats will simply nit-pick any other returns he gives - just like they've done with the one they already have - WHY would he give up 10 years more simply because a member of the Democratic party has come forward with a story that strains credulity...all based on an "anonymous source" that couldn't realistically have access to the information Reid claims s/he has.

Just so you know this attack was coordinated through the white house.

As if we needed more examples of what low life democrats truly are.............

The point of pushing on this is that the way the tax code treats someone like Mitt Romney is, frankly, embarrassing. Especially for him. It's unlikely he's done anything illegal--I take him at this word that he's paid every cent he's legally obligated to pay.

But in some ways, that will be the problem when folks see what he pays.

Add in the fact that his current policy is to double down on the current approach and seek more tax cuts for the wealthy (at the expense of middle class families, who will be asked to pay more if this plan is actually deficit neutral as Mitt claims), well it's no wonder why he'd rather not release them.

Those who think this is a "distraction" are missing the point. Tax policy is at the center of the current political debate and Romney himself exemplifies what's wrong with our current and his proposed (Bush tax policy on steroids) policy. And he knows it.

The point of pushing on this is that the way the tax code treats someone like Mitt Romney is, frankly, embarrassing. Especially for him. It's unlikely he's done anything illegal--I take him at this word that he's paid every cent he's legally obligated to pay.

But in some ways, that will be the problem when folks see what he pays.

Add in the fact that his current policy is to double down on the current approach and seek more tax cuts for the wealthy (at the expense of middle class families, who will be asked to pay more if this plan is actually deficit neutral as Mitt claims), well it's no wonder why he'd rather not release them.

Those who think this is a "distraction" are missing the point. Tax policy is at the center of the current political debate and Romney himself exemplifies what's wrong with our current and his proposed (Bush tax policy on steroids) policy. And he knows it.

The point of scoffing at this is that you hacks are hacks. I do agree we should scrap the current policy though, we should eliminate all income and capital gains taxes across the board.

Last edited:

1) Romney has released 1 year of tax returns and promises to release another. This will equal the number of tax returns released by John McCain during the last presidential election where how many tax returns McCain and Obama released was never a campaign issue. romney released one incomplete year of his tax returns

2) Nothing illegal has been found in Romney's returns to date. He is ridiculously wealthy. He has invested his money in numerous ways, including putting money in accounts off shore and overseas. This is not illegal. It is illegal to put money in Swiss Bank accounts and the Cayman Islands and Bermuda, if you do not report it on your income taxes and do not pay the taxes on the money earned on them.

3) Reid came forward to say that an "anonymous source" who worked with Romney at Bain "knows" that Romney didn't pay taxes for a 10 year period. He won't name his source. But later came out and said it was "numerous sources." He won't name any of them. I agree with you, Reid should name his source. But I also think that Reid would not put his own integrity and job on the line by just pulling this out of thin air...that would be a lose lose for him so he probably knows something....

4) The Democrats are now clamoring louder than ever for Romney to release over 10 years of tax returns to "prove" that he did, in fact, pay taxes. The clamoring came long before Reid's statement....it actually began in the republican primaries, via republicans.

1) Are we now serious entertaining the idea that politicians can make any claim they want using "anonymous sources" and that those accused are responsible for "proving their innocence?" You guys are comfortable with that? Because you seemed really uncomfortable with it when some fringe elements on the right were claiming that they had sources (of course, they named them...but hey, lets not get too picky) that knew Obama was born outside the US...and it was up to Obama to prove otherwise. all's not fair in love and war...agree...but the right has done nothing to shut up the liars on the right regarding his birth and legal birth certificate so I wouldn't expect the left to be able to do such either.

2) Why on Earth would anyone who worked with Romney have access to 10-years of his tax records? If his returns involved his pay and deals and retirements from Bain which is where most of his income came from, it is certainly possible that they were involved with his returns, is the only thing I can think of?

If he held most of his accounts in bermuda, the Caymans and in Swiss Banks and he did not report them in previous years, the IRS would know nothing about them. these 3 countries do not hold an agreement with the US to disclose American held accounts like most all other countries, this is why they are called "tax Haven" countries.

Also, the IRS has been defunded near year after year....so there were less audits...plus the Bush era wanted to focus on auditing POORER PEOPLE for the EIC credit INSTEAD of the very wealthiest.

4) McCain vetted Romney for VP looking over 2 decades of his tax returns and found nothing troubling. His aides actually say he OVERPAID, if anything. I'd like to see the link for Mccain's aids saying he overpaid if anything.... are you certain Mccain chose NOT TO GO WITH ROMNEY, due to his income tax returns?

It was the Republicans during the primary that brought mitt's income taxes paid in to the picture...here is what some of them had to say about romney:

Remember, it was Rick Perry who called Romney a "vulture capitalist," Newt Gingrich who called him a "liar" and criticized his Swiss bank account, Michele Bachmann who called him a "chameleon," and Rick Santorum who said Romney was the "worst candidate" to run against Barack Obama because of his inconsistent positions.
Even Romney's newest running mate trial balloon, Tim Pawlenty, attacked the former Massachusetts governor last year for his inconsistency on health care reform, which he cleverly labeled "Obamneycare."

Mitt Romney is a Swiss-bank-account-owning liar. So says Newt Gingrich. (+video) - CSMonitor.com
and this from Newt: “As a man who wants to run for president of the United States who can’t be honest with the American people, why should we expect him to level about anything if he’s president?” the former House speaker asks matter-of-factly in one clip.

“You’d certainly have to say that Bain at times engaged in behavior where they looted a company leaving behind 1,700 unemployed people,” Gingrich says, referring to the private-equity firm that Romney formerly headed.

Then: “There was a pattern, in some companies, a handful of them, of leaving them with enormous debt, and then within a year or two or three, having them go broke. I think that is something he ought to answer.”

during the Republican nomination race, then-candidate Newt Gingrich declared, “I don’t know of any American president who has had a Swiss bank account.”

In 2009 the USA gvt offered amnesty to thousands of American citizens who illegally stashed their money in a certain Swiss Bank....if romney had an account with this Swiss bank, then he could have been given Amnesty for his ILLEGAL doings....this is one of the things people are trying to find out. The IRS offered amenity/a promise to not reveal the names of the wealthiest holding accounts there if they took the amnesty.

In addition to this Romney claimed when he ran for governor in 2002 that he was still involved with the State because he had Bain Capital, and now that stuff has come out about Bain capital and their unscrupulous methods of operating he is saying he had nothing to do with them and quit in 1999...people want to know the truth, he flipped flopped, again.

Barak obama was forced to release his tax returns back to the year 2000 when he was running for President and this happened during the Democratic Primaries so it is simply not true that they were not an issue in the last election.

It is possible that romney was not part of the Amnesty program for those who broke the law, but we will only know this by him releasing his returns...the year he did release would not show these things, but it did show with his reporting of all of these offshore tax haven accounts, that he very well could have been a part of it....

Holy cow Lakhotaman! If what is posted in the link you provided is factually tree and verifiable it's no wonder Romney is a quarter of a billionaire, and not because he was smarter or luckier than most.

Man makes that much money and doesnt lawfully pay any taxes is pretty smart.

Would give him a shot for 4 years out of the two choices for me to make more money.

I wouldn't; I put our country first.

:lol::lol: Yea, right. You have any actual proof that he didn't pay any taxes yet?

1) Romney has released 1 year of tax returns and promises to release another. This will equal the number of tax returns released by John McCain during the last presidential election where how many tax returns McCain and Obama released was never a campaign issue. romney released one incomplete year of his tax returns

2) Nothing illegal has been found in Romney's returns to date. He is ridiculously wealthy. He has invested his money in numerous ways, including putting money in accounts off shore and overseas. This is not illegal. It is illegal to put money in Swiss Bank accounts and the Cayman Islands and Bermuda, if you do not report it on your income taxes and do not pay the taxes on the money earned on them.

3) Reid came forward to say that an "anonymous source" who worked with Romney at Bain "knows" that Romney didn't pay taxes for a 10 year period. He won't name his source. But later came out and said it was "numerous sources." He won't name any of them. I agree with you, Reid should name his source. But I also think that Reid would not put his own integrity and job on the line by just pulling this out of thin air...that would be a lose lose for him so he probably knows something....

4) The Democrats are now clamoring louder than ever for Romney to release over 10 years of tax returns to "prove" that he did, in fact, pay taxes. The clamoring came long before Reid's statement....it actually began in the republican primaries, via republicans.

1) Are we now serious entertaining the idea that politicians can make any claim they want using "anonymous sources" and that those accused are responsible for "proving their innocence?" You guys are comfortable with that? Because you seemed really uncomfortable with it when some fringe elements on the right were claiming that they had sources (of course, they named them...but hey, lets not get too picky) that knew Obama was born outside the US...and it was up to Obama to prove otherwise. all's not fair in love and war...agree...but the right has done nothing to shut up the liars on the right regarding his birth and legal birth certificate so I wouldn't expect the left to be able to do such either.

2) Why on Earth would anyone who worked with Romney have access to 10-years of his tax records? If his returns involved his pay and deals and retirements from Bain which is where most of his income came from, it is certainly possible that they were involved with his returns, is the only thing I can think of?

If he held most of his accounts in bermuda, the Caymans and in Swiss Banks and he did not report them in previous years, the IRS would know nothing about them. these 3 countries do not hold an agreement with the US to disclose American held accounts like most all other countries, this is why they are called "tax Haven" countries.

Also, the IRS has been defunded near year after year....so there were less audits...plus the Bush era wanted to focus on auditing POORER PEOPLE for the EIC credit INSTEAD of the very wealthiest.

4) McCain vetted Romney for VP looking over 2 decades of his tax returns and found nothing troubling. His aides actually say he OVERPAID, if anything. I'd like to see the link for Mccain's aids saying he overpaid if anything.... are you certain Mccain chose NOT TO GO WITH ROMNEY, due to his income tax returns?

It was the Republicans during the primary that brought mitt's income taxes paid in to the picture...here is what some of them had to say about romney:

Remember, it was Rick Perry who called Romney a "vulture capitalist," Newt Gingrich who called him a "liar" and criticized his Swiss bank account, Michele Bachmann who called him a "chameleon," and Rick Santorum who said Romney was the "worst candidate" to run against Barack Obama because of his inconsistent positions.
Even Romney's newest running mate trial balloon, Tim Pawlenty, attacked the former Massachusetts governor last year for his inconsistency on health care reform, which he cleverly labeled "Obamneycare."

Mitt Romney is a Swiss-bank-account-owning liar. So says Newt Gingrich. (+video) - CSMonitor.com
and this from Newt: “As a man who wants to run for president of the United States who can’t be honest with the American people, why should we expect him to level about anything if he’s president?” the former House speaker asks matter-of-factly in one clip.

“You’d certainly have to say that Bain at times engaged in behavior where they looted a company leaving behind 1,700 unemployed people,” Gingrich says, referring to the private-equity firm that Romney formerly headed.

Then: “There was a pattern, in some companies, a handful of them, of leaving them with enormous debt, and then within a year or two or three, having them go broke. I think that is something he ought to answer.”

during the Republican nomination race, then-candidate Newt Gingrich declared, “I don’t know of any American president who has had a Swiss bank account.”

In 2009 the USA gvt offered amnesty to thousands of American citizens who illegally stashed their money in a certain Swiss Bank....if romney had an account with this Swiss bank, then he could have been given Amnesty for his ILLEGAL doings....this is one of the things people are trying to find out. The IRS offered amenity/a promise to not reveal the names of the wealthiest holding accounts there if they took the amnesty.

In addition to this Romney claimed when he ran for governor in 2002 that he was still involved with the State because he had Bain Capital, and now that stuff has come out about Bain capital and their unscrupulous methods of operating he is saying he had nothing to do with them and quit in 1999...people want to know the truth, he flipped flopped, again.

Barak obama was forced to release his tax returns back to the year 2000 when he was running for President and this happened during the Democratic Primaries so it is simply not true that they were not an issue in the last election.

It is possible that romney was not part of the Amnesty program for those who broke the law, but we will only know this by him releasing his returns...the year he did release would not show these things, but it did show with his reporting of all of these offshore tax haven accounts, that he very well could have been a part of it....

Any actual evidence of wrong doing? And I mean actual evidence - not media speculation, not democrats or republicans speculating but actual, factually accurate, evidence?

No?

So it is nothing more than gossip. It would be great if we started electing people on their fucking records, not some fucking hype or speculation... Remember when we used the 'innocent until proven guilty' marker?

Well, I'm pretty certain he had to have paid some federal income taxes, even if he was part of the Amnesty program with a hidden swiss account....romney did say he did "pay taxes, plenty of them'' but he failed to say he paid Federal Income taxes each year, so he still avoided the accusation.

Well, I'm pretty certain he had to have paid some federal income taxes, even if he was part of the Amnesty program with a hidden swiss account....romney did say he did "pay taxes, plenty of them'' but he failed to say he paid Federal Income taxes each year, so he still avoided the accusation.

Again, not a hard question... do you have any evidence of any wrong doing by Romney? What law did he break? Specifics would be great... because, right now, this is gossip. Now, you might take gossip as gospel but I do not. I hang people only when they are guilty. I'm weird like that... due process, rational thought, that kind of thing.

Lots of assumptions with no data. Are you not jumping the gun a little bit?

The point of scoffing at this is that you hacks are hacks.

Aw, that hurts my feelings!

Where are Mitt Romney's tax returns?

Where is Harry Reid's proof he is not a serial child molester?

Wow, QB, we can always count on you for the irrelevent analogy.

No one has accused Reid of being a Child Molestor. I mean, he belongs to a cult started by them, but Romney belongs to that same cult.

ON the other hand, There are some valid questions to be asked about Romney's past that his tax returns could answer, and oddly enough, he's hiding them. So there has to be something really horrible in them.

Forum List

Back