Reid Adding Amnesty Measure to Defense Bill

Charles_Main

AR15 Owner
Jun 23, 2008
Michigan, USA
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday he wants to attach an amendment to a defense policy bill that would help young people in the United States illegally become legal U.S. residents.

the legislation known as the DREAM Act is long overdue. He would not say whether he has the votes for the amendment. The act would allow young people who attend college or join the military to become legal U.S. residents.

The young people must have come to the country when they were under 16 years of age and have been in the country five years. Those who join the military must serve at least two years and complete two years of college.

Believe it or not I think this is a good idea. I have always liked idea of Citizenship for service.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday he wants to attach an amendment to a defense policy bill that would help young people in the United States illegally become legal U.S. residents.

the legislation known as the DREAM Act is long overdue. He would not say whether he has the votes for the amendment. The act would allow young people who attend college or join the military to become legal U.S. residents.

The young people must have come to the country when they were under 16 years of age and have been in the country five years. Those who join the military must serve at least two years and complete two years of college.

Believe it or not I think this is a good idea. I have always liked idea of Citizenship for service.

And they must swear loyalty to the US by burning a Mexican flag at an invasion rally.

Once again I posted about a story in the correct Area, and today I see mine has less responses than someone who posted about it in the wrong section. LOL

REID GIVING THE AMERICAN DREAM AWAY.

Dirty Harry is trying the take the American dream away from your children in the dead of night under disguise of defense and give it to children of illegal aliens. A sneaky way to amnesty. Another excuse for illegal aliens to say ALL their children are Americans and they cannot leave them and break up their families.

TAKE THE KEYS TO THE AMERICAN DREAM AWAY FROM DIRTY HARRY.

AMNESTY means never having immigration enforcement!

Last edited:
Sneak around and get what they want even if the people don't want it.

Actually:

A poll commissioned by a family-advocacy group in Washington, D.C., indicates that support for the DREAM Act has increased nationally, even as tensions over immigration continue. The DREAM (Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors) Act would allow undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as young children a chance at permanent-residency status — if they meet specific requirements.

The poll, commissioned by First Focus and conducted by the Opinion Research Corporation, indicates that 70 percent of people in the U.S. are in favor of the legislation, an increase from the 58 percent who supported the measure in 2004.​

Yes, it's a poll commissioned by an advocacy group but it hardly allows an unambiguous statement that "the people don't want it."

If a large majority of the public does indeed support this legislation, does that change your opinion of it?

Actually:

A poll commissioned by a family-advocacy group in Washington, D.C., indicates that support for the DREAM Act has increased nationally, even as tensions over immigration continue. The DREAM (Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors) Act would allow undocumented immigrants brought to the U.S. as young children a chance at permanent-residency status — if they meet specific requirements.

The poll, commissioned by First Focus and conducted by the Opinion Research Corporation, indicates that 70 percent of people in the U.S. are in favor of the legislation, an increase from the 58 percent who supported the measure in 2004.​

Yes, it's a poll commissioned by an advocacy group but it hardly allows an unambiguous statement that "the people don't want it."

If a large majority of the public does indeed support this legislation, does that change your opinion of it?

A proper link on this would most likely result in this claim to be revealed as exactly what it is....patently false.

However...let's look at the slippery-slope this would cause.

Millions of illegal immigrant children brought into this country to act as anchor-babies.

See the problem here?

This bill would make it so that they don't even have to be born here anymore.

Not very smart.

You really should think things out before you start assuming that everything these folks do is all hunkydory and above board.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have any problem with naturalized citizens voting who've lived in this country a minimum of 10 years legally. I also would put a stipulation that they not receive any form of government assistance during that time.

Maybe serving active duty military could speed up the process...but it would have to be a minimum of 5 or 6 years active duty.

The above would prevent Democrats from using entitlements and screwy new laws to to manufacture new votes before elections. That way they wouldn't personally benefit from any new laws they put in place.

"Oh....that's not fair". Tough.

Actually:

A proper link on this would most likely result in this claim to be revealed as exactly what it is....patently false.

I believe most people feel the way I do about. Amnesty is ok, as long as it comes with Border enforcement.

Actually:

I believe most people feel the way I do about. Amnesty is ok, as long as it comes with Border enforcement.

I'd absolutely agree. I'm all for service for citizenship.

It's actually the only kind of amnesty that I'd support, insuring that those who do become citizens contribute something to society.

I'd also like to see strict border enforcement.

My one problem with this is that it shouldn't be in the defence bill for that reason alone. What needs to be done if Harry Reid really wants to say that this congress accomplished something before the next congress takes over is bring this before the House and Senate as an individual bill and let the republicans bring forth a measure that will be tough on border security. Put the two together and you've got a pretty good bill, one that answers the concerns of those who want to secure the border, and those who want to deal with those who are already here in the best way for both them and us.

I'd like to see it get passed regardless though.

REID GIVING THE AMERICAN DREAM AWAY.

Dirty Harry is trying the take the American dream away from your children in the dead of night under disguise of defense and give it to children of illegal aliens. A sneaky way to amnesty. Another excuse for illegal aliens to say ALL their children are Americans and they cannot leave them and break up their families.

TAKE THE KEYS TO THE AMERICAN DREAM AWAY FROM DIRTY HARRY.

AMNESTY means never having immigration enforcement!

I don't see that at all.

If you want to serve this nation in the military in order to recieve citizenship, I'd consider that noble, and the one who did so more then worthy of amnesty.

No.

But I wonder, if a "large majority of the public does indeed support this legislation," then why isn't it simply introduced as a bill of its own?

Essentially, what Reid is doing is making the latino man play the role of the black man in the vietnam era or something akin to that. Joining the military should NEVER be a basis for citizenship. What is this Rome?

Essentially, what Reid is doing is making the latino man play the role of the black man in the vietnam era or something akin to that. Joining the military should NEVER be a basis for citizenship. What is this Rome?

As always, no one cares about the asian.

There will be hell to pay when they take over the world.:(

Harry Reid is condoning illegal activities by trying to encode them in law with that wording? There should be an immigration agent at every military recruit station! :lol:

I'm pretty sure the black man had citizenship well before there was ever a Vietnam war. :cuckoo:

well silly me thought we already gave citizenship to those immigrants who served 4 years in our military?

well silly me thought we already gave citizenship to those immigrants who served 4 years in our military?

I don't know if it's automatic but I see no problem with it. Serving this country means you're willing to make the ultimate sacrifice and it also means you're willing to do something.....anything......rather then sit back and wait for help. There's no shortage of freeloaders. I say why not. Course it always should be conditional. Be a service member in good standing (serve honorably), get a recommendation from your chain of command, and learn the English language.

Many people don't realize this but the military is one of the most open and non-discriminatory organizations in America. I think the word minority doesn't exist in the military.

No.

But I wonder, if a "large majority of the public does indeed support this legislation," then why isn't it simply introduced as a bill of its own?

I'm not sure what connection you're seeing between what I said and what you're asking, primarily because

1. The Senate isn't a majoritarian body (the DREAM Act received a bipartisan majority of votes in the 110th Congress (11 Republican senators voted for it), but that's not good enough in the Senate.
  2. Senate seats aren't distributed according to population.

Forum List

Back