Reid Adding Amnesty Measure to Defense Bill

I've always felt it very manipulative and dishonest to sneak in unrelated legislation on to a major bill like this. I think that should not be allowed.

In fairness, this is a bill that makes military service a pathway to citizenship. Makes more sense as part of a defense appropriation than, say, an HHS appropriation.

Harry Reid will say and do anything to get re-elected. Next week he will put his Mother up for sale.

Reid is an idiot, illegals need to be kicked out of the u.s. period. The fact that reid has attached it to another bills says he doesn't beleive it will pass on it's own measures. And I doubt the majority of people support this bill.

If a large majority of the public does indeed support this legislation, does that change your opinion of it?

No.

But I wonder, if a "large majority of the public does indeed support this legislation," then why isn't it simply introduced as a bill of its own?

I'm not sure what connection you're seeing between what I said and what you're asking, primarily because

1. The Senate isn't a majoritarian body (the DREAM Act received a bipartisan majority of votes in the 110th Congress (11 Republican senators voted for it), but that's not good enough in the Senate.
  2. Senate seats aren't distributed according to population.

Then allow me to spell it out:

If it was as popular a measure as you claim through polling, then Reid could offer it as a seperate bill, and Harry would be a Hero, regardless of what might have happened with it in the 110th Congress.

Instead he has muddled it in with defense appropriations, and at best appears to be playing Washington insider politics two months before he is up for reelection during a decisively anti-incumbant election season.

At worst, he appears to be a political novice.

If it was as popular a measure as you claim through polling, then Reid could offer it as a seperate bill, and Harry would be a Hero, regardless of what might have happened with it in the 110th Congress.

Sounds like you're arguing he's trying to actually get it passed rather than be a martyr and mug for the cameras. We'll see.

DREAM Act lobbyists are spotlighting heart-wrenching stories of high-achieving teens brought to this country when they were toddlers. But instead of arguing for case-by-case dispensations, the protesters want blanket pardons. The broadly-drafted Senate bill would confer benefits on applicants up to age 35 and the House bill contains no age ceiling at all. The academic achievement requirements are minimal. Moreover, illegal aliens who didn’t arrive in the country until they turned 15 – after they laid down significant roots in their home country – would be eligible for DREAM Act benefits and eventual U.S. citizenship. And like past amnesty packages, the Democrat plan is devoid of any concrete eligibility and enforcement mechanisms to deter already-rampant immigration benefit fraud.

Michelle Malkin Harry Reid’s illegal alien student bailout

Anyone here paying out of state tuition? Anyone have a problem with illegals paying in state? It boggles the mind.

I agree this is sneaky, underhanded and unfair.

BTW, my immigration PAC (not "mine", just one I follow) is FAIR, Federation for American Immigration Reform. I recommend them highly, though you should understand they have a POV and this is not a great source for balanced news coverage. But there is no substitute for contacting your elected officials directly, guys.

http://www.fairus.org/site/PageServer

Last edited:
Thanks for that link Madeline. I visit NumbersUSA as well. In fact, I believe they were following a class action suit against CA??? for offering in state tuition to illegals. A group of out of state parents were the plaintiffs. I'll check to see if they have an update.

This was a huge controversy in NJ a few years ago when it was proposed here. What infuriated me was the one sided reporting in the papers with their illegal alien sob stories about those "brilliant" students who were being "discriminated against". What was NEVER mentioned was the eligibility for a very limited amount of scholarship money that would be diminished even further if illegals were able to participate. I found the reporting very dishonest. Fortunately, the bill was defeated.

Dishonest politicians doing what they do best.

Sneak around and get what they want even if the people don't want it.

Obama did not let 20 million illegal aliens to enter this country. OBAMA is not a national crisis. Don't blame him just because he is available and black. Radical old white man have been running this country in to the ground for long as we have been a country. Starting with the founding fathers.. A joke.

Last edited:
Dishonest politicians doing what they do best.

Sneak around and get what they want even if the people don't want it.

Obama did not let 20 million illegal aliens to enter this country. OBAMA is not a national crisis. Don't blame him just because he is available and black. Radical old white man have been running this country in to the ground for long as we have been a country. Starting with the founding fathers.. A joke.

So as long as it is a radical Black man everything will be ok. I C thanks for that wonderful bit of wisdom.

This act does not guarantee citizenship. If this act is passed a young person who meets all the requirements becomes a conditional permanent residency. After 5 1/2 years they can become a permanent resident provided they meet all requirements of the act. After they become a permanent residents they can apply for citizenship.

The Dream Act is long overdue. It is vital not only to the people who would benefit from it, but also the United States as a whole. It would give an opportunity to undocumented immigrant students who have been living in the U.S. since they were young, a chance to contribute back to the country that has given so much to them.

Basic Information about the DREAM Act Legislation | DREAM Act Portal

well silly me thought we already gave citizenship to those immigrants who served 4 years in our military?
No, service in the military does not automatically make you a citizen.

To join you must be either be a citizen of the US or a permanent resident with a green card. You can make application for citizenship while in the service. INS regulations allow for expediting the application. There are 37,500 foreign nationals from over 200 countries serving in the military.

Illegal immigrants can not legally join any branch of the military. There have been cases where illegals have made it into the military with forged documents and there are also cases where they were prosecuted.

Today's Military - Review Entrance Requirements

Marines: Looking for a Few Good Aliens? - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice

well silly me thought we already gave citizenship to those immigrants who served 4 years in our military?
No, service in the military does not automatically make you a citizen.

To join you must be either be a citizen of the US or a permanent resident with a green card. You can make application for citizenship while in the service. INS regulations allow for expediting the application. There are 37,500 foreign nationals from over 200 countries serving in the military.

Illegal immigrants can not legally join any branch of the military. There have been cases where illegals have made it into the military with forged documents and there are also cases where they were prosecuted.

Today's Military - Review Entrance Requirements

Marines: Looking for a Few Good Aliens? - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice
2005:eusa_whistle:

Sounds like you're arguing he's trying to actually get it passed rather than be a martyr and mug for the cameras. We'll see.

Close, but no cigar.

If it gets passed, he'll be a political martyr for Mexicans until December.

Then he'll just be another former Senator.

One of many incumbants that will bite the dust.

well well, the Progressives-Commies looking out for illegal immigrants AS MORE IMPROTANT over the American people. and to top if off, they have to "sneak" it into ANOTHER BILL for our DEFENSE.

how's that make all you Democrat voters feel. Over 10% unemployment and this is what they are pushing for NOW...feel like SUCKERS YET...???:lol:

Last edited:
well well, the Progressives-Commies looking out for illegal immigrants AS MORE IMPROTANT over the American people. and to top if off, they have to "sneak" it into ANOTHER BILL for our DEFENSE.

how's that make all you Democrat voters feel. Over 10% unemployment and this is what they are pushing for NOW...feel like SUCKERS YET...???:lol:
There nothing wrong with including legislation that effects military recruitment in a defense bill. As far being sneaky, this legislation has been beating around the House and Senate for three year. It's bipartisan legislation ‒ pioneered by Sen. Orin Hatch [R-UT] and Sen. Richard Durbin [D-IL]

This legislation should have been passed years ago. It's good for military, good for the kids, and good for the country.

There nothing wrong with including legislation that effects military recruitment in a defense bill. As far being sneaky, this legislation has been beating around the House and Senate for three year. It's bipartisan legislation ‒ pioneered by Sen. Orin Hatch [R-UT] and Sen. Richard Durbin [D-IL]

This legislation should have been passed years ago. It's good for military, good for the kids, and good for the country.

Find my self mostly agreeing on this one :)

sneaky would be trying to sneak a general amnesty into a defense bill.

Forum List

Back