Referendum day a victory for the left?

Inthemiddle

Rookie
Oct 4, 2011
In Ohio, voters chose to repeal legislation that prohibited public employees from collective bargaining. In Mississippi, voters rejected an anti-abortion amendment to their constitution.

I'm actually kinda shocked that both these issues ended up as they have. I know a few "conservatives" (and I use that term loosely) were absolutely positive that the results would be opposite. It gets me thinking, does this indicate that public perspective is currently leaning more toward the "liberal" persuasion (and again, I use that term loosely)?

And, if so, what does the "right" have to do in order to rebound from this apparent loss, if they want to re-capture the White House 12 months from now?

Its gonna be spun as some massive victory for the left. But truth is, Ohio law passed because of turnout, not a change in attitude. The union folks were motivated. Those not in unions probably weren't that motivated.

I would say that the primary good news for the left is the direct consequences of the voting, not what it says about projections for 2012. For the latter, I doubt it has much predictive power. For the former, votes like those in Ohio and Mississippi have real and immediate consequences, though admittedly just for those states.

No, not a victory for the left. In various places yesterday was a victory for women, working people, children, all folks with the right to political franchise, and probably others I'm forgetting at the moment. That their victories happen to also be victories for a certain end of the political spectrum is secondary.

You idiot liberals keep telling yourselves this was some kind of victory.. I can't wait until November 2012.

To the OP's question.......what does the right have to do in order to rebound?

They have to spend more money and scare more people more effectively.

I don't really think of these as victories for the DEMS.

I think of these referendum votes as victories for DEMOCRACY.

No, not a victory for the left. In various places yesterday was a victory for women, working people, children, all folks with the right to political franchise, and probably others I'm forgetting at the moment. That their victories happen to also be victories for a certain end of the political spectrum is secondary.

This is what the "left" are seeking to protect and the "right" are seeking to exploit.

Yes, I do understand that it was secondary. Nevertheless, I would have to imagine that the left has to be sitting there thinking, "Hey, people are really seeing things our way at the moment, we need to run with this."

The tide has been rolling left since 2006. The 2010 election outcome was anomalous, a result of widespread disaffection on the left from Obama and the Democrats and consequent low voter turnout.

It's worth noting that these victories were on issues rather than partisan elections. The Democrats did win some important races, though.

What can the conservatives do to turn it around? Nothing. It's the Democratic Party's election to lose.

Well...lets see...

The unions spent 3 times what the GOP politicians spent on advertising.

Add that to the amount the democrats spent on advertising and my guess ios the Democrats were able to advertise at about 5 times the GOP.

SO what does an open minded individual see?

This has nothing do with a referendum.

It proves that advertising is what works.

Forum List

Back