Scott Campbell Films Police Shooting At Occupy Oakland

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
A police attack against Oakland man Scott Campbell has drawn national attention and outrage after Campbell released a video of the incident on YouTube.

Early Thursday morning after Occupy Oakland's general strike, Campbell filmed police officers as they surrounded the remaining protesters. According to Campbell, an officer asked him to step back as he approached the police line with a video camera. Campbell obliged, and then began filming about ten feet from the officers. On the video, Campbell can be heard asking "is this OK?" twice. Several seconds later, an officer shoots him with what appears to be a rubber bullet.

More: Scott Campbell Films Police Shooting At Occupy Oakland: Video Sparks National Outrage (VIDEO)

nvtg32j:tw1

VIDEO: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0pX9LeE-g8&feature=player_detailpage]Shot by police with rubber bullet at Occupy Oakland - YouTube[/ame]

Hmm. Yeah, that looks kinda bad. He wasn't directly approaching the line, from what I saw. Can't see to his right, was there a line there that he was actually approaching? But, one thing is for sure- he wasn't walking away, creating distance from the police line, either.

He chose to be there. He chose to get that close to a police riot line, in a riot zone, which is what it was. Protesters had become violent with throwing bottles, rocks and setting fires, committing vandalism. Riot teams show up not to cuddle and make people feel cozy. They're there to TAKE CONTROL of the city back.

More of this, and they will take it back. Lesson is, stay away from police riot lines. If you see you are close to one, BACK AWAY, dont loiter around with a video camera and walk parrallel to it, or towards it.

Lesson is, stay away from police riot lines. If you see you are close to one, BACK AWAY, dont loiter around with a video camera and walk parrallel to it, or towards it.

If your point is that getting hurt was a reasonably predictable consequence, then I agree. If your point is that he deserved to be shot, then I disagree. People who are recording violent confrontations are performing a public service. I have no idea why the police apparently shot him. Perhaps there was something going on off-camera, but from the footage, it looked like the police may simply have been discouraging videotaping through rubber bullets. If so, their conduct was not merely deplorable but criminal.

Lesson is, stay away from police riot lines. If you see you are close to one, BACK AWAY, dont loiter around with a video camera and walk parrallel to it, or towards it.

If your point is that getting hurt was a reasonably predictable consequence, then I agree. If your point is that he deserved to be shot, then I disagree. People who are recording violent confrontations are performing a public service. I have no idea why the police apparently shot him. Perhaps there was something going on off-camera, but from the footage, it looked like the police may simply have been discouraging videotaping through rubber bullets. If so, their conduct was not merely deplorable but criminal.

Thats correct about my point. Can't see what was to his immediate right. If the riot line was there to his right, and we cant see it, then he was encroaching on the line. But...we cant see, so no way to know that.

Riot control is bad stuff. Case law has determined it has much more allowance for stuff that daily patrols would not. For example, if that street was being cleared, and the police made a loud, clear announcement for all pedestrians to "CLEAR WITHIN 5 MINUTES", and that guy was in the road or sidewalk to be cleared.......well, thats different. Once police announce to clear, and they have a set time and have announced it, anyone standing in the way is legally a target of less-lethal force to clear the area.

Purely on the video, it looks bad though. He wasn't causing a threat, and cant see him approaching anything.

But did cops make a "clear" announcement thats not on film? Were there cops to the right he was encroaching?

Typically in these situations, the police also film all their actions. Would like to see video from start to finish.

It takes courage to be a real patriot...

n00006141-r-s-000.jpg

YOu do know the men driving those tanks are being ordered to do so by a massive left wing gov't, the exact same ideology as the one OWS is striving to implement here?

You DO know that, right?

n00006141-r-s-000.jpg

YOu do know the men driving those tanks are being ordered to do so by a massive left wing gov't, the exact same ideology as the one OWS is striving to implement here?

You DO know that, right?

Fuck off partisan shitbrain. That clearly wasnt the message that was trying to be illustrated.

Fucking Demublicans are so blind and stupid.

A police attack against Oakland man Scott Campbell has drawn national attention and outrage after Campbell released a video of the incident on YouTube.

Early Thursday morning after Occupy Oakland's general strike, Campbell filmed police officers as they surrounded the remaining protesters. According to Campbell, an officer asked him to step back as he approached the police line with a video camera. Campbell obliged, and then began filming about ten feet from the officers. On the video, Campbell can be heard asking "is this OK?" twice. Several seconds later, an officer shoots him with what appears to be a rubber bullet.

More: Scott Campbell Films Police Shooting At Occupy Oakland: Video Sparks National Outrage (VIDEO)

nvtg32j:tw1

VIDEO: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0pX9LeE-g8&feature=player_detailpage]Shot by police with rubber bullet at Occupy Oakland - YouTube[/ame]

They should be thankful it was just rubber. Real ones are allowed in putting down insurrections.

n00006141-r-s-000.jpg

You DO know that, right?

Fuck off partisan shitbrain. That clearly wasnt the message that was trying to be illustrated.

Fucking Demublicans are so blind and stupid.

You still have time to get out before the tank brigade finds you. Hurry now! Hurry!

the police gave him NO order.

They merely shot him without comment.

Do any of you care that is illegal?

Dam, some of you guys will defend anything!

Then scream about Freedom and liberty in the next breath

The cops were there to do their jobs, To break up the crowd who are causing damage to property and harassing people. If these dumb asses did not want to listen they deserve what they get!!

Hmm. Yeah, that looks kinda bad. He wasn't directly approaching the line, from what I saw. Can't see to his right, was there a line there that he was actually approaching? But, one thing is for sure- he wasn't walking away, creating distance from the police line, either.

He chose to be there. He chose to get that close to a police riot line, in a riot zone, which is what it was. Protesters had become violent with throwing bottles, rocks and setting fires, committing vandalism. Riot teams show up not to cuddle and make people feel cozy. They're there to TAKE CONTROL of the city back.

More of this, and they will take it back. Lesson is, stay away from police riot lines. If you see you are close to one, BACK AWAY, dont loiter around with a video camera and walk parrallel to it, or towards it.

Police come to take control?

Thems fighting words, I'll shoot any fucking police officer who says they have come to "take control."

I will not have the US become a police state.

the police gave him NO order.

They merely shot him without comment.

Do any of you care that is illegal?

So you were there and and heard it huh.. Hmm you must travel alot because you sure know what everything happens with these dimwits. Just like yourself:cuckoo:

Thems fighting words, I'll shoot any fucking police officer who says they have come to "take control."

I agree with you. The police should stay out of it and let the protesters burn and loot as much as they can get away with. The people themselves should put an end to the riot. Tell the business owners that the police will not interfere with their rights to protect themselves and their property.

I agree with you. The police should stay out of it and let the protesters burn and loot as much as they can get away with. The people themselves should put an end to the riot. Tell the business owners that the police will not interfere with their rights to protect themselves and their property.

It would send a FAR bigger message to the rioters if their fellow people stopped them from rioting, than if the police do it.

The only message sending police in to deal with rioters send is "The man is trying to put us down again."

Forum List

Back