Redemption

What morality do we hold that is not man-made programming? And is ther really any grace?

Given the men I have known I do not think humanity intelligent enough to provide the grace I have been granted.

God knows I am not.

My wife should not stay with me, I wouldn't, be she loves me.

I have a son that is the moon, what did I do to deserve him other than give my wife a night of howling to the moon?

I drink like a fish yet my liver is fine.

I like to get drunk and fly on motorcycles at speeds that could crack sound.

No death, only one wreckless driving charge.

There is grace in this world.

But grace is like love, if you question it too much you will kill it.

You have the heart of a poet. Substance abuse abounds in that community. Sometimes I think it is a few too many nerves exposed that produces the poetry, and the pain to be dulled.

That brings to mind the Serenity Prayer, which may be just the 'medicine" Gunny needs. The reason only the first few lines are embraced by AA/NA et al., is because many members don't buy into the "surrender" factor of the rest of it. But here it is in entirety (and apologies for duplicating it if someone else has posted this further on).

The Serenity Prayer
(full text)

GOD, grant me the serenity
to accept the things
I cannot change,

Courage to change the
things I can, and the
wisdom to know the difference.

Living ONE DAY AT A TIME;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardship as the
pathway to peace.

Taking, as He did, this
sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it.

Trusting that He will make
all things right if I
surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy
in this life, and supremely
happy with Him forever in
the next. Amen

Reinhold Neibuhr-1926

Did gunny just asked about the ethical value of redemption??

Then a good old non-believer can find some room to talk here, and not just read.

The concept of redetion is to renew the ego/conscious/soul so that one is no longer hung up over the wrongs and misgivings in a person life. The concept of "Renewed life" in the concept of redemption is just that--a renewed life in this life!!

How does one obtain redemption--one must learn to accept his or her own foibles.
Try to seek forgivance from those you have offended. If this is not forthcoming, try to move onwards with your life. It is considered unethical to refuse to live, and redemption is to provide a means of returning to an ethical path after one wanders afield.

I guess in the Christian context, asking forgiveness from god for transgressing agains god or God's creation with right is also in order. I do not see how this actually works unless you are sure that God will forgive every sin that man can commit. But that is the nature of belief, I guess.

But regardless of the religious basis of redemption, one must have the ability to recognize when an wrong is createed, if it can or can not be righted and learn to accept this fact in order to continue living. Thus, redemption is necessary in the everyday life in order for people to live fulfilling lives. Even so, do not seek situations that requires redemption, since it is not always possible for an individual to accept himself after performing certain injustices or sets of injustices to others..

Paths to redemption is basically the following
1)Understanding the wrongs commited
2)Addressing the wrongs(This is where Christians ask god for forgiveness usually take place.)
3)Confronting the self
4)Remaking the self
5)Forgiving the self.
6)Moving forward.

By the way Gunny--this Thread is beginning to suck with so many people posting "What a great Thread, Gunny!!" every two or three postings!!

I mean--this Butt kissing has go to stop!! What is it--Is Gunny giving out money, and if so why did you not tell me about it?

Forum List

Back