Recharging your car in twenty minutes

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

Travis Andrews

Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 4:50pm

The future is now, it seems. Later this year, you’ll be able to almost completely charge an electric car in 20 minutes. We’ve already reached the point where we can do it wirelessly, and now we’ll be able to do it in the time it takes to cook a frozen pizza.
“The DC Combo quick charger changes the game,” said GM’s director of advanced vehicle commercialization policy Britta Gross. “Imagine stopping off for a cup of coffee, plugging in your vehicle at the fast charge station outside, run in for your cup of coffee, 10 minutes, 20 minutes later, you have a fully charged vehicle.”

The charger itself is strikingly simple. It uses a single car connector for AC and DC charging, which means it's compatible with the older, standard AC charging stations. But the DC charging is the fast one, bringing the BMW i3 to an 80 percent charge in 20 minutes.

Recharging your car in twenty minutes | DVICE

Imagine watching the volt-meter and hoping you can make it to civilization before inbred cannibals eat you and the car while you are enjoying your second forced coffee break in the last three hundred miles?

Travis Andrews

Saturday, June 15, 2013 - 4:50pm

The future is now, it seems. Later this year, you’ll be able to almost completely charge an electric car in 20 minutes. We’ve already reached the point where we can do it wirelessly, and now we’ll be able to do it in the time it takes to cook a frozen pizza.
“The DC Combo quick charger changes the game,” said GM’s director of advanced vehicle commercialization policy Britta Gross. “Imagine stopping off for a cup of coffee, plugging in your vehicle at the fast charge station outside, run in for your cup of coffee, 10 minutes, 20 minutes later, you have a fully charged vehicle.”

The charger itself is strikingly simple. It uses a single car connector for AC and DC charging, which means it's compatible with the older, standard AC charging stations. But the DC charging is the fast one, bringing the BMW i3 to an 80 percent charge in 20 minutes.

Recharging your car in twenty minutes | DVICE

The link is propaganda I am affraid to say, just a commercial..... need more info. If that was the case we would have that technology with our Battery impact drills. I know for a fact the batterys die out after so many "super charging them".Thats why I have like 10 dead batterys lying around my shop and yes I love to experment..

Imagine watching the volt-meter and hoping you can make it to civilization before inbred cannibals eat you and the car while you are enjoying your second forced coffee break in the last three hundred miles?

Imagine someone so goddamned stupid that they have not noticed the number of posts that point out labs that have batteries with 4 times or more capacity than the present ones powering the Tesla S 250+ miles on a single charge. Someone is going to find out how to manufacture a battery with 4 to 10 times the capacity for the same price as the present batteries. And the whole ballgame will change with that battery. Plus, someone will be a billionaire. Your Tesla will go a 1000 miles or more with a single charge, and a 20 minute charge will give you most of a days drive.

And since most of the people able to afford the new technology up front, will not be driving in your neighborhood, no problem with inbred cannibals.

Imagine someone so goddamned stupid that they have not noticed the number of posts that point out labs that have batteries with 4 times or more capacity than the present ones powering the Tesla S 250+ miles on a single charge. Someone is going to find out how to manufacture a battery with 4 to 10 times the capacity for the same price as the present batteries. And the whole ballgame will change with that battery. Plus, someone will be a billionaire. Your Tesla will go a 1000 miles or more with a single charge, and a 20 minute charge will give you most of a days drive.

And since most of the people able to afford the new technology up front, will not be driving in your neighborhood, no problem with inbred cannibals.
How much will it cost after the dollar crashes?

• Banned

How much will it cost after the dollar crashes?

What does this matter to this discussion? There's batteries being developed with easily 4-10 times the density.

Just wait.

If they cannot think of a reason to object to what is obviously a very good thing for this nation on scientific grounds, they will make up some catastrophe that might have an effect on the development of this new technology.

The problem is that this technology represents change, and to some people, no matter how poorly the present technology is, any change is a threat to their world. You know there were people that objected strenously to the idea of anti-biotics.

I can refill mine in less than five now.

Yup... Gas cards are nice aren't they. It's funny that people talk about twenty minutes being a good thing... Consider how many hours those twenty minutes per recharge are going to add to a trip across the country. It's going to make for one seriously looooooooong trip.

Yup... Gas cards are nice aren't they. It's funny that people talk about twenty minutes being a good thing... Consider how many hours those twenty minutes per recharge are going to add to a trip across the country. It's going to make for one seriously looooooooong trip.

Use to be 3-6 hours. ;) lol

Do you really believe that this won't get better from here on out? :eusa_hand:

Use to be 3-6 hours. ;) lol

Do you really believe that this won't get better from here on out? :eusa_hand:

If its down to twenty minutes, I'd say its reached its peak... Barring anything short of sending a lightning strike into your car, and I think that technology is pretty far away. Again, twenty minutes per recharge is still much too long for rational long distance drivers.

This is starting to get seriously funny. Just how long do you think it will take some restuarant chain to realize the advantage of having one of these fast charge stations on their property? For hotel and motel chains to have overnight charging?

The "Conservatives" here will tell you they are the people who support business and innovation. Yet here we have an American businessman building the very best EV in the world, with the longest range, installing charging stations across the nation, and all they can do is stand in right field and do the Neener-neener act.

If they cannot think of a reason to object to what is obviously a very good thing for this nation on scientific grounds, they will make up some catastrophe that might have an effect on the development of this new technology.

The problem is that this technology represents change, and to some people, no matter how poorly the present technology is, any change is a threat to their world. You know there were people that objected strenously to the idea of anti-biotics.

Not so hard at all to think of RATIONAL arguments to be skeptical.. Simple as 5th grade math actually..

Nissan Leaf says it's range is 75 miles. Uses 29KWh per 100 miles. Yielding 21.75KWh to FILL the tank..

21.75 KWh/0.3333 hr == 65KW So to GET a 20 minute charge on a Leaf --- you need 65KW of source. Hell to be more accurate --- let's call it 75KW for losses in the cables and heating of the battery while charging. The CABLES for this much energy will resemble rail road track circumference and weigh more than OJ Simpson now does.

Note this is NEVER gonna happen at your house or from GoldiRocks solar panels..

That amount of energy is the equivalent draw of 70 average households. So for each 20 minute charge -- you are piggishly increasing the peak demand load like a looter..

Note also --- I don't want to be ANYWHERE NEAR one of these pit stops. And I would suggest removing your kids and valuables from the scene before pressing go..

Realize that all of this simple science and math is INDEPENDENT of whether you get volumetric increases in storage.. So with a Tesla roadster with the MAX battery stack, you're probably looking at a small nat gas peaker station just to fill 2 of those at once in 20 minutes..

Wanna do a 5 minute charge? Class --- homework..

Last edited:
This is starting to get seriously funny. Just how long do you think it will take some restuarant chain to realize the advantage of having one of these fast charge stations on their property? For hotel and motel chains to have overnight charging?

The "Conservatives" here will tell you they are the people who support business and innovation. Yet here we have an American businessman building the very best EV in the world, with the longest range, installing charging stations across the nation, and all they can do is stand in right field and do the Neener-neener act.

A batteries twice the density hits the market(there's 4+ times ones being developed) a lot of these arguments against it will die. If such a battery can be developed for a market price the same as current batteries the market will triple over night! You can bet that the ability to charge these batteries will go way up too. Maybe a level 4 charger could be developed sooner or later.

I think it is pretty likely that a real market will form for the electric car. I don't think it will replace the gasoline car for the next 10 years, but will get some of the market.

A batteries twice the density hits the market(there's 4+ times ones being developed) a lot of these arguments against it will die. If such a battery can be developed for a market price the same as current batteries the market will triple over night! You can bet that the ability to charge these batteries will go way up too. Maybe a level 4 charger could be developed sooner or later.

I think it is pretty likely that a real market will form for the electric car. I don't think it will replace the gasoline car for the next 10 years, but will get some of the market.

As I demonstrated in the previous post -- there are physical limits and considerations that will STYMY widespread adoption of All Electric Vehicles.. If folks expect to recharge ANY BATTERY of ANY CAPACITY in 20min or less --- they will be sucking the equivalent of 2 or 3 SUBDIVISIONS of housing electricity for each vehicle charging.. This is a really bad idea to propose shifting loads like this to an inadequate generator/grid system. And EVEN IF -- you spent decades and $Trills on infrastructure, it shouldn't be done until electricity is CHEAP and PLENTIFUL --- not RARE and EXPENSIVE (which is our current eco-directed mandate)..

That's why -- I'm pushing for a Hydrogen/Nat Gas transportation sector. It's STORABLE, it can be efficiently made from renewables, it solves the "fueling" and range problems and you don't have to double capacity of the Grid and power generators all the way to Bear Wallow Tennessee..

Go ahead -- call us names... But do the math FIRST and look at the engineering big picture.

We have the big engineering picture. In it, you are full of shit.

Musk has already developed the charging stations. They are a fact. And some are already in use. In the meantime, you hydrogen powered vehicle is still largely a pipedream powered by prototypes without the range of the Tesla.

Musk has already developed the charging stations. They are a fact. And some are already in use. In the meantime, you hydrogen powered vehicle is still largely a pipedream powered by prototypes without the range of the Tesla.

Didya find a problem with my numbers or analysis?

Or are just having problems projecting that 2 or 3 subdivisions worth of power plant capacity for every auto fill-up to your dreamworld where EVERYBODY is driving electric?

Or --- are you just moping around because you didn't do the 5th grade math to see what impact a 20 minute refilling on a TINY EV would take?

You really think in a CONSERVATION of electricity market, that having 1,000 or 10,000 EVs refueling simultaneously on the SAME grid at 75KW per car is not a problem?

Range of HydrogenFCV EXCEEDS the Tesla for several of the Concept Hydrogen cars. And the Hyundai model going into production will just exceed the Tesla range on one simple and 5 minute refueling.. No monster electricity required, except for all the solar and wind to MAKE the hydrogen in the first place..

About the shit comment... You are what you eat....

Fuel Cell Today*-*Home Page

Hyundai has delivered the first of its assembly-line-produced ix35 fuel cell electric vehicles to the Municipality of Copenhagen in Denmark. The fifteen vehicles were handed over during the opening ceremony of the Danish capital’s latest hydrogen refuelling station. The station was installed by H2 Logic just 48 hours before its inaugural refuelling and is based on the company's containerised CAR-100 platform.

Mr. Byung Kwon Rhim, President of Hyundai Motor Europe said, “Hyundai Motor is committed to hydrogen as the fuel of the future for Europe. Delivering assembly-line produced ix35 Fuel Cell is evidence that we have a realistic solution to the region’s sustainable mobility needs.”

The ix35 Fuel Cell is equipped with a 100 kW (136 ps) electric motor, and can reach a maximum speed of 160 km/h. Two hydrogen storage tanks, located between the vehicle’s rear axle, with a total capacity of 5,64 kg, enable the vehicle to travel a total of 594 km on a single fuelling.

This hydrogen will be going gang-busters while Tesla is still figuring out how to pay for more and more expensive electricity or how to fuel an EV in less than 20 minutes or less without bringing down the grid.

What happens if a large percentage of people have a Tesla? Thousands of people charging at the same time, especially in the summer. Wouldn't it overload the grid?

Forum List

Back