Recertified laptop

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
I am seriously considering this even though I 'm not a big Dell fan.
It's $489 with free shipping.

Inspiron 17R - N7010 17.3" screen

* Inspiron 17R
* Processor: Intel Core i3-350M Processor (2.26GHz, 3M cache)
* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
* 160 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
* 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
* 8X DVD +/- RW Drive
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD

2-20.jpg

While we've never bought a refurbished laptop, we were in the process of doing that when we saw a great deal at Best Buy for just as good a price as the refurbished one from Dell.

I can tell you that with the exception of the first ipod we ever bought, all others have been refurbished and we've never had any problems with them. They were, indeed , like new.

Do it.

You can get similar deals with other manufacturers, or even get a brand new computer with similar stats in the same price range, why saddle yourself with a Dell?

Why do you hate Del?

Only a person who has never had to deal with a serious issue on a Dell computer could ask that question.

You can get similar deals with other manufacturers, or even get a brand new computer with similar stats in the same price range, why saddle yourself with a Dell?

Why do you hate Del?

Only a person who has never had to deal with a serious issue on a Dell computer could ask that question.

I haven't found any other deals like that on a 17 inch i3 chip (or better) at that price. Also recerts have gone through an extensive once over and any issues it may have has been found and fixed, it also has a one year warranty which is why I'm considering it. While I would prefer a Sony or HP, they're $150 to 300 more for the same general configuration.
Either that or I keep using my old T60 Thinkpad for another 6 months and wait for the prices to drop even more.

Why do you hate Del?

Well, I know why I hate Del...he always crashes.

But I'm sure others have had different experiences and I was simply curious.

I NEVER buy any brand of laptop other than Toshiba, for any reason.

I recently bought a new one

Dual AMD Phenom Dual Core Processors 2.9 GhZ
4 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
Blu Ray player

$698 at Best Buy

Sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I'm still using a T60 Thinkpad and I have no interest in the latest and greatest, waste of money.
This one is 10 times faster than my current one, duh.
Oh I'd love a Toshiba but I've read they don't play well with Linux.

Last edited:

I'm still using a T60 Thinkpad and I have no interest in the latest and greatest, waste of money.

i'm not a big Linux guy, but I have played around with Ubuntu some on one opf my older Toshibas, never noticed a problem

Put linux on the dell then.
That will definitely blaze.

i'm not a big Linux guy, but I have played around with Ubuntu some on one opf my older Toshibas, never noticed a problem

Older is the key word. It seems Toshiba may have contracted for graphics chips and drivers that only work with Windows in their newer machines. I need to do more research.

Put linux on the dell then.
That will definitely blaze.

I would keep Win 7 and configure a dual boot but if my research is correct I'll need a Win 7 disc as well as my Ubuntu to make it work since Windows really doesn't play well with other distros unless you configure it yourself. :lol:

After doing much more research on everything I wanted I decided this was the best choice. Here's the one I went with, Same model as in the OP, better configuration for the same money.
Every one else, HP, Toshiba, etc wanted hundreds more for simple duo-cores.
My total cost was $519, including Virginia tax, 2 - 3 day Shipping was free. This one, in this configuration, retails new for around $900.
Inspiron 17R - N7010

2-20.jpg

* Inspiron 17R
* Processor: Intel Core i5-450M Processor (3M cache, 2.40 GHz)
* Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
* 320 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
* 6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHZ
* 8X DVD +/- RW Drive
* Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD
* Mars Black
17.3 inch HD+ WLED
* 6 Cell Primary Battery, 48W
Bluetooth Wireless Card 365
* Integrated 1.3MP Web Camera and Digital Microphone
Keyboard
* 65W AC Adapter
125V Power Cord
* 64BIT Operating System
Microsoft Works 9.0

Last edited:
That's a good price. Laptops is just one of those things I'll pay a premium on to get a Toshiba. My new one is blazing.

Damn!!! I was looking for a good canvas (large) laptop bag for my new computer. All the ones I like start at $90 and go up, what the fuck! I want a good bag not stock options! :eek: :evil:

Never understood the big screen laptop concepts.
12 inches or smaller makes sense ,Slick machine anyway 1 hour 20 on battery charge?

Never understood the big screen laptop concepts.
12 inches or smaller makes sense ,Slick machine anyway 1 hour 20 on battery charge?
Four hours and I don't have to wear glasses to read the screen and no I don't want to increase my font size.

The laptop arrived been playing with it for a while now. First things I did was download Firefox, Avast and CCleaner then uninstalled the McAfee resource hog that it came with, that sped up the boot time by half. Next I'll be looking to partition my hard drive and load Ubuntu as a dual boot though I'm using it right now as Wubi and even that way it's lightning fast!

Forum List

Back