Laptop dilemma

I've got the Studio XPS 1645 and have been quite happy with it, especially after working out a couple of annoying bugs (Thanks R05) :)

i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.60Ghz

It's a couple of years old. I'm sure they're cheaper now

Ringle those links don't seem to work

That is actually my current laptop, with the 250gb SSD.

It's a good machine, but I have an engineer who needs a new computer, so he'll get the XPS and I'll get a new one.

I've got the Studio XPS 1645 and have been quite happy with it, especially after working out a couple of annoying bugs (Thanks R05) :)

i7 CPU Q720 @ 1.60Ghz

It's a couple of years old. I'm sure they're cheaper now

Ringle those links don't seem to work

That is actually my current laptop, with the 250gb SSD.

It's a good machine, but I have an engineer who needs a new computer, so he'll get the XPS and I'll get a new one.

:thup:

Besides the the cool look of the Alienware can tell you that my brother has a M17X and it's a really great looking computer, but a word of warning, unless you want to end up with a laptop scar on your legs don't put that thing in your lap after using it for a while, *laughs* or you might cook some of your skin off. Just food for thought here, as Dell makes the Alienware as has been pointed out, you might want to look into the XPS17 configured the same way, it might save you some money.

Yeah, the heat is a known problem, as is short battery life.

You can't configure an XPS the same as the AW. I tried with my rep - the XPS doesn't offer the hybrid drives, the I7 2760 CPU, or the 560M video card.

With everything maxed out on the XPS, it's within $200 in price to the AW, so may as well go for the gusto.

Yeah, the heat is a known problem, as is short battery life.

You can't configure an XPS the same as the AW. I tried with my rep - the XPS doesn't offer the hybrid drives, the I7 2760 CPU, or the 560M video card.

With everything maxed out on the XPS, it's within $200 in price to the AW, so may as well go for the gusto.

In for a penny in for a pound, I hear you, but from what I gather most AW buyers the first thing that comes to mind is not the battery life. I have a Precision M6400 laptop that is pretty well maxed out and its a heat monster too, so I got a nice cooling fan pad to put under it. Good luck with the AW , I know many people who have them and for the most part they love them.

In for a penny in for a pound, I hear you, but from what I gather most AW buyers the first thing that comes to mind is not the battery life. I have a Precision M6400 laptop that is pretty well maxed out and its a heat monster too, so I got a nice cooling fan pad to put under it. Good luck with the AW , I know many people who have them and for the most part they love them.

I love those Precisions. I assume you have Quadro in it for Solidworks or other CAD use.

Thanks for the post.

I love those Precisions. I assume you have Quadro in it for Solidworks or other CAD use.

Thanks for the post.

I do actually, I also have VMWare Workstation8 on it with Ubuntu running on it. The one thing about it that has always been a little frustrating was the bio-metric thumb reader as it seems with each update for Win7 Ultimate it got less and less compatible. Doesn't matter though, it's a great draggable (notice calling it a laptop is being kind) LOL. Even though I appreciate the look of the AW it's features were not what would work well for me. I am an old retired tinkerer of technology but am of the opinion that when you get into the realm of systems like AW which are more geared for a high end gamer, then how mobile does it have to be? Then again I will be the first to admit my experience in that realm is very limited so would have to let those with much more experience lend their expertise as to what would be a better bang for the buck a desktop or laptop in the gaming realm. Again, good luck with the AW, as I said before from those I know that have them, they say nothing but good things about them.

Forum List

Back