Real Pulled Pork

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
North Carolina Style.

I buy a 12-15 lb. shoulder and have it cut into quarters by the butcher.

3-4 lb. mini boston butts.

The Rub:

• 1 tablespoon mild paprika
  • 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
The Mop:

• 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon coarse salt
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil

The Sauce:

• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup catsup
  • 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon molassas
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Liberally apply the rub to all sides of the pork the night before...plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Set out pork at least 1 hour early to allow it to approach room temperature.

Set up your BBQ for indirect grilling and oil the grill.

Fill your drip pan with half a gallon of cheap bottled apple juice i.e. Dollar General brand.

Smoke for 6 hours or 150 degrees adding 1/2 cup soaked hickory chips and mopping every 1/2 hour, adding coals as necessary to maintain 215 to 250 degrees.

Wrap tightly in 3 full sheets of aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 300 degrees until the it reaches 190 degrees.

Pull from oven, but leave wrapped completely for 10 minutes.

Unwrap and tent with the foil for 20 minutes.

Shred with two forks.

Add finishing sauce and mix until coated.

Keep it warm.

Butter and toast buns.

Serve...with more sauce, coleslaw topping or just the way it is (my favorite).

100_0927-1.jpg

^ On the Weber Kettle Grill

100_0925-1.jpg

^The set up...indirect heat, drip pan with apple juice.

100_0926-1.jpg

^ Four hours in.

100_0928-1.jpg

^ Out of the oven, 190 degrees...tented and resting for 20 minutes.

100_0929-1.jpg

^ Shredded, ready for finishing sauce.

100_0930-1.jpg

^ Plated and delicious.

Last edited:
I don't like Bush's. I actually prefer Van De Camps but with ketchup, brown sugar, onions, garlic and mustard in them...and then baked and baked and baked.

I've had N.C. style. Way too much vinegar, I don't like it. Don't get me wrong, I also can't stand the super sweet sauce either.

Oh you did NOT lecture about obesity and the evils of sugar in a thread about pulled pork.

That is beyond crass and unacceptable behavior.

first i hate when yankees even talk about bbq....

2nd....you cant make pulled pork from a damn shoulder.....you have to cook up the whole hog

3rd...true pulled pork....you got a dude who reaches into the whole cooked pig and grabs part of the meat....he pulls that meat out with one hand while wiping the fat off with the other....

fucking bunch of yankees

the method of pulling out the meat is why it is called 'pulled pork'

fucking muslims

Oh that brings back memories.....

I had the pleasure of spending most of a week just outside Oxford, NC last June for a very large pistol match (The Carolina Cup). Frank Glover and his crew put on a SPECTACULAR spread on Saturday evening, including two whole hogs cooked on-site. The smell alone was enough to have your mouth watering as we finished up the shooting Saturday afternoon.

Sitting there at the picnic tables, eating that pork, drinking some of "The Peach" from Frank's private stock and talking to people I get to see two or three times a year (at most) ALMOST made me forget how pissed off I was about my shooting performance earlier in the day. ALMOST.

first i hate when yankees even talk about bbq....

2nd....you cant make pulled pork from a damn shoulder.....you have to cook up the whole hog

3rd...true pulled pork....you got a dude who reaches into the whole cooked pig and grabs part of the meat....he pulls that meat out with one hand while wiping the fat off with the other....

fucking bunch of yankees

the method of pulling out the meat is why it is called 'pulled pork'

fucking muslims

If any Yankees start a thread on BBQ, I'll let ya know.

First, Missouri is a Southern State and always has been.

There are no Yankees from Missouri, Kentucky, Maryland or Oklahoma.

00092125.jpg

Confederate_States_Map.jpg

southern_states-785844.jpg

Missouri

An act declaring the political ties heretofore existing between the State of Missouri and the United States of America dissolved.

Whereas the Government of the United States, in the possession and under the control of a sectional party, has wantonly violated the compact originally made between said Government and the State of Missouri, by invading with hostile armies the soil of the State, attacking and making prisoners the militia while legally assembled under the State laws, forcibly occupying the State capitol, and attempting through the instrumentality of domestic traitors to usurp the State government, seizing and destroying private property, and murdering with fiendish malignity peaceable citizens, men, women, and children, together with other acts of atrocity, indicating a deep-settled hostility toward the people of Missouri and their institutions; and

Whereas the present Administration of the Government of the United States has utterly ignored the Constitution, subverted the Government as constructed and intended by its makers, and established a despotic and arbitrary power instead thereof: Now, therefore,

Be it enacted by the general assembly of the State of Missouri, That all political ties of every character new existing between the Government of the United States of America and the people and government of the State of Missouri are hereby dissolved, and the State of Missouri, resuming the sovereignty granted by compact to the said United States upon admission of said State into the Federal Union, does again take its place as a free and independent republic amongst the nations of the earth.

This act to take effect and be in force from and after its passage.

Approved by the Missouri Legislature on October 31, 1861.

Ordinances of Secession of the 13 Confederate States of America

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Second, you can't always go whole hog. Sometimes you want real pulled pork on a Tuesday. :tongue:

Last edited:
I'm not a Yankee.

I'm a Pacific Northwesterner.

Lol.

Pulling is done however pulling is done. And I can do it with any cut.

Hog roast!!! Great food and great times. Way back when my family would all get together every year around Easter and we would cook a whole hog on the hog cooker. My Dad and I generally would cook the hog and I gotta tell you, there are very few things better than a Pig Picking... You've turned on the "hungry switch" in me today. Sweet iced tea, and lots of it, decent cole slaw, and the hog along with lots of other goodies make for a terrific good time.

Forum List

Back