Reagan Tied The Republican Party To White Christians, Now They Are Trapped

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

― Barry Goldwater

Barry Goldwater also thought that the 1964 civil rights bill was a bad idea. Do you think that the 1964 civil rights bill was a bad idea, because BARRY said so?

For the life of me, I've never been able to figure out why people keep trotting out, "Well, BARRY GOLDWATER said it!!!" like that's supposed to mean something.

“Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they're sure trying to do so, it's going to be a terrible damn problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise. I know, I've tried to deal with them.”

― Barry Goldwater

Barry Goldwater also thought that the 1964 civil rights bill was a bad idea. Do you think that the 1964 civil rights bill was a bad idea, because BARRY said so?

For the life of me, I've never been able to figure out why people keep trotting out, "Well, BARRY GOLDWATER said it!!!" like that's supposed to mean something.

They can't defend their positions and polices based on their actual merits, so, they have to get inventive.

1. tons of fake leftyvirus mailin ballots not filled out by the actual voters.
  2. In the most contested municipalities, vote counting stopped for a few hours, then all of a sudden 100% of all votes counted were for Biden, just enough to get him the win.
  3. In 7 battleground municipalities, vote counting stopped, then hundreds of thousands of Biden only votes were counted.
  4. Blatant and massive election fraud.
    ................................................................................................................................
I kinda like threads like this one.
It requires so little effort to respond appropriately.

So, for brevity's sake, let's do this (reference the numbered quotes above):

#1 Prove it. Source it for us, poster jbrowson
#2 Prove it. Source it for us, Colonel Angus.
#3 Prove it. Source it for us, Colonel Angus.
#4 Prove it. Source it for us, Eric Blair.

See?
That's easy stuff.
Though, in truth, it ain't new.
It is well-plowed ground.

Similar queries to those same posters have been made in the past, i.e., to prove they know what they are talking about, that they have veritas, have a modicum of gravitas.

But they never do. They seemingly are one of those tiresome cowboys who is all hat, no cows. No there there.

So they slink off to another thread or shrill about with 'Look Squirrel", e.g., Hillary's server, Bill's blow-job, broken window at the Nike store, ANTIFA, BLM, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Which, inevitably, sooner rather than later, brings us right back to where we started from.
Namely, this ----again:

#1 Prove it. Source it for us, poster jbrowson
#2 Prove it. Source it for us, Colonel Angus.
#3 Prove it. Source it for us, Colonel Angus.
#4 Prove it. Source it for us, Eric Blair.

I love this bar.
We've got winners, and we've got, umm,......non-winners?

Were you planning to say something about the actual thread topic at any point?

― Barry Goldwater

Agree with the prescience of his quote, disagree with his stance on the Civil Rights bill.

So, he's not an Authority we should defer to, just some guy that happened to agree with you on one thing.

So, why you sharing this with us?

It was an apropos quote based on the OP. You don’t agree with it. :shrug:

Some guy agrees with hte op. So? I disagree with the op. I am also some guy. We are at an impasse.

oh no, what to do.

What is this thread about, other than your anti-Christian bigotry?

Actually, the thread is about how the Republicans are now tied to a shrinking base, that will continue to shrink, and cost them elections. There is no scenario, in which Republicans win with only white Christians.

Who are the largest bloc of bigots in the country.

Reagan used Nixons southern strategy, with the help of Liberty University's Jerry Falwell, who was still angry about losing the school segregation war, and created a new boogeyman for the white bigot base.

Abortion.

Which ironically enough, Reagan supported up to that point, until coached otherwise, so he escalated Nixons drug war, and now the bigot base had their new agenda.

So now that has blown up in their face, and they moved on to their new agenda of hate against Muslims, then immigrants crossing the border, to BLM and Antifa, to their latest enemy, Asians.
this entire thread is essentially a racist rant against white people

Or a religiophobic rant against Christians. Or both.

My feeling is, if he doesn't like the white Christians in the Republican Party, he should feel free to take himself elsewhere . . . although I doubt he's a Republican to start with, which makes his opinion worth even less.

― Barry Goldwater

They can't defend their positions and polices based on their actual merits, so, they have to get inventive.

Name-dropper politics. Leftists never seem to realize that it only works on people like them, who are more interested in slavishly worshipping personalities than in ideals and principles.

― Barry Goldwater

Agree with the prescience of his quote, disagree with his stance on the Civil Rights bill.

So, he's not an Authority we should defer to, just some guy that happened to agree with you on one thing.

Some guy agrees with hte op. So? I disagree with the op. I am also some guy. We are at an impasse.

oh no, what to do.

Nice Straw man, please point out where I supported anti-Christian bigotry?

In your posts where you act as though being supported by a Christian group is a bad thing.

That's anti-Christian bigotry.

If some white guy just talked about the dems being supported by blacks, as though it was inherently bad, you would be able to see that that was racist.

Such things work BOTH WAYS.

I know that is an alien concept to you, but it is true.

Got it, so you got nothing but a fallacious opinion with the intent of picking a fight.

Dismissed

My, that was a quick tail-tucked retreat, even for you. And your attempt to hide that you're running was really lame.

Correll answered the question, and you responded with what was clearly a pre-chosen dismissal that had nothing to do with his post, just to try to give yourself an excuse to stop talking to someone who punctured your little balloon.

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

In your posts where you act as though being supported by a Christian group is a bad thing.

If some white guy just talked about the dems being supported by blacks, as though it was inherently bad, you would be able to see that that was racist.

Got it, so you got nothing but a fallacious opinion with the intent of picking a fight.

Dismissed

I just called you out on your racist shit, and you are the one that got nothing to defend yourself with.

Loser.

Thanks for proving my signature correct. :)

White flag accepted.

Wow, are you still trying to pretend you did something other than run like a scalded bitch? Give it up and just accept that you embarrassed yourself as a coward.

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

Dismissed

My, that was a quick tail-tucked retreat, even for you. And your attempt to hide that you're running was really lame.

Correll answered the question, and you responded with what was clearly a pre-chosen dismissal that had nothing to do with his post, just to try to give yourself an excuse to stop talking to someone who punctured your little balloon.

Really?

I don’t cavil with people who use straw men to create a false narrative. Posting a quote that was germane to the OP topic doesn’t translate into someone espousing “anti Christian bigotry”. That poster had nothing but a puerile insult because we were at a “impasse” (His words)

So yes, I dismiss peevish displays of hyperbole that attempt to serve as an actual argument.

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

Dismissed

I just called you out on your racist shit, and you are the one that got nothing to defend yourself with.

Loser.

White flag accepted.

Wow, are you still trying to pretend you did something other than run like a scalded bitch? Give it up and just accept that you embarrassed yourself as a coward.

LOL.

Not at all, I can’t be bothered with people who just want to fire off false narratives and insults. Want to have a discussion, I’m all ears.

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

Dismissed

Really?

I don’t cavil with people who use straw men to create a false narrative. Posting a quote that was germane to the OP topic doesn’t translate into someone espousing “anti Christian bigotry”. That poster had nothing but a puerile insult because we were at a “impasse” (His words)

So yes, I dismiss peevish displays of hyperbole that attempt to serve as an actual argument.

THE op topic is presenting the support of the gop by white Christians as though it is inherently bad, for reasons that are not clearly presented.

That is anti-Christian bigotry.

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

Dismissed

Really?

THE op topic is presenting the support of the gop by white Christians as though it is inherently bad, for reasons that are not clearly presented.

Oh, so now it’s the topic. This back and forth started when you accused me of “anti-christian bigotry”.

Which is it?

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

Dismissed

Really?

You clearly have no idea what "straw man" means, other than it's something right-wingers keep saying to you all the time. Same goes for "false narrative".

And that whole "I didn't say that, I just quoted someone saying it, so I'm not responsible for the content" thing is even more lame than your cringing scuttle away from having your ass handed to you.

This is what happens when you have nothing to say of your own, and resort to trying to sound smart with other people words.

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

Dismissed

Loser.

White flag accepted.

LOL.

Not at all, I can’t be bothered with people who just want to fire off false narratives and insults. Want to have a discussion, I’m all ears.

"LOL" You ran away because you got called on being a racist and a religious bigot, and you couldn't find someone else's words to quote to defend yourself.

And the more you try to scramble your way on top of your humiliating rout, the more obvious it becomes.

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

Dismissed

Really?

Oh, so now it’s the topic. This back and forth started when you accused me of “anti-christian bigotry”.

Which is it?

The topic is anti-Christian bigotry. Your posts that support the idea that being supported by a Christian group is a bad thing is also anti-Christian bigotry.

That two things, ie the thread topic and an aspect of your posts, can both have the same bad thinking in them, is not a difficult or complex concept.

Your pretense of confusion on the issue, is not credible.

But it is normal for liberals to try to wiggle out of being crushed, to pretend to be too stupid to understand something, so that they can then stonewall.

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

Dismissed

Really?

Which is it?

Both, Mensa Boy. That was the OP's topic, and that was also what you said in response to the OP's topic.

Did you somehow think you couldn't both be racist religious bigots?

― Barry Goldwater

oh no, what to do.

Dismissed

Really?

You clearly have no idea what "straw man" means, other than it's something right-wingers keep saying to you all the time. Same goes for "false narrative".

And that whole "I didn't say that, I just quoted someone saying it, so I'm not responsible for the content" thing is even more lame than your cringing scuttle away from having your ass handed to you.

This is what happens when you have nothing to say of your own, and resort to trying to sound smart with other people words.

You are under the mistaken impression I care that much about a discussion in a political forum.

Thats priceless...

Forum List

Back